Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drblank

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
[/COLOR]
Not a single update in over 4 months? Is that considered a long time? Apple has pretty much always released a major overhaul/change once every year, and I don't see why that has to change when it comes to their laptops.

Actually many many years ago, it was customary for Apple to have 6 month speed bumps, but they haven't done that for many years. Personally, they have reasons for doing what they do and unless you sit down with their engineers and find out all of the reasons, then we can only speculate.

Maybe they got a better deal on the slightly faster chips, maybe intel was the one that changed things and Apple is just using what Intel can supply.

The PC industry isn't doing to well over all and maybe Intel just spit out slightly faster chips at a reduced price to help get some sales going on.

There is always some amount of logic involved.

MarkBubba

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
I live in my house.
I hope that Haswell gives us a 13" rMBP with quad-core i7, they should be at the point of making these quad-core puppies low power by now, one would think. I'm holding off on upgrading from my 2010 MPB until I see what comes out this year.

LiquidTurbo

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
Surely in this laptop there must be some other improvements than strictly just a processor bump.. must be revisions to some internal parts to improve the machine over the mid2012 version. Am I correct?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Surely in this laptop there must be some other improvements than strictly just a processor bump.. must be revisions to some internal parts to improve the machine over the mid2012 version. Am I correct?

Why? It is just a processor speed bump, really common for Apple to bump the processor to the current ones during the MBP life cycle; it is why you often see "Early 20xx" and "Late 20xx" more often than not, it is just a processor bump.

reserves

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009

They have replaced a few parts, I found the details on another thread (via MacRumors, can't remember where right now)

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Stick to phones and tablets Apple.

Uh.... so they shouldn't do occasional spec bumps when they're able? Just because Apple only came onto your radar circa 2008 when the iPhone got really hot doesn't mean they're a tablet company.

They've always been a computer company. What an utterly foolish, insipid and uninspired comment.

I'm pretty sure that's what they are currently doing. There hasn't been a single update to the rMBP in over 4 months. I know I will not be buying an Apple laptop / desktop again unless they do a major overhaul in their approach at conducting business.

Uh... have you like, not ever owned a computer before...? You do realize they only update them once a year or so, right? Four months...? Really????

You also realize Apple doesn't make any of the hardware, correct?

raw8725

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
I can't decide if I should go ahead and buy the retina 13inch early 2013 release or wait for Haswell architecture in June?

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Wait for Haswell, things will run better, more efficiently. Use your retina unplugged for longer!

PLR2011

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2011
I just got my new 15 fully loaded rMBP and I love it for everything expect PhotoShop. It's really laggy doing almost anything in Photoshop (CS6). Anyone else have this issue?

My old 2010 MBP was faster in CS6... which is obviously very disappointing...

fragel

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
I just got my new 15 fully loaded rMBP and I love it for everything expect PhotoShop. It's really laggy doing almost anything in Photoshop (CS6). Anyone else have this issue?

My old 2010 MBP was faster in CS6... which is obviously very disappointing...

Weird... working smooth here in a mid-2012 15" rMBP...
I guess you must have a problem with PS... I move pics in raw of ~15-20MB very well...

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Let's see... Safari is totally ruined on rMBP (CSS not rendered correctly on half the websites, blank white pages), mouse and keyboard become unresponsive when switching GPU, background resets after every reboot, stuttering audio, etc. Yeah, I guess you're right... I should have to wait a year for these to be fixed, as should countless others who complain about the same exact problems.

Do you update your system frequently? My friend has had none of the problems you mentioned above.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Do you update your system frequently? My friend has had none of the problems you mentioned above.

If you've updated your rMBP in the past 5 months, you are up to date. Not everyone has these issues, but many do. (See forums)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.