Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
This is the third public set of post report statistics, covering all of 2012. These statistics are calculated based on the reports submitted when alerting the moderators to posts with the report post icon (
report.gif
). They are selected from a wider set of statistics I've produced for the moderators for the last 6.5 years; for privacy reasons, we don't release certain statistics publicly such as those that identify individual members.

For more information about how post reports help us, the role of these statistics and moderation in general, see Doctor Q's post from 2011.

Previous post report statistics:
The significant time since the last report is due to behind-the-scenes changes that meant the method I used to gather these statistics no longer worked; I'm now using a new, more robust method.

2012 post report summary:

• Number of post reports: 33552
  • Mean per day: 91.7
  • Max per day: 301
  • Min per day: 34
  • Number of post reporters: 4086
  • Number of reported members: 16990
  • Number of posts reported: 27837
  • Number of threads reported: 20041

Overview

There were 33552 reported posts in 2012, at a rate of 92.7/day, however 58% of these (19558) were in the second half of the year. In particular, September had 4312 reports (54% more than the average for the year), with 301 reports alone on September 19, the release date of iOS 6 - that's one every 4 minutes and 47 seconds. These were both new records, breaking the previous records of 3982 reports in July 2010 and 251 reports on November 25, 2009. 1.1% of posts made in 2012 were reported, and 9.3% of threads had at least one post reported. The graph below shows the trend in post reports since 2006.

attachment.php

Day of week

As usual, there were more reports on weekdays than weekends (using PST). There were 29% more reports on a typical weekday compared to a weekend day, representing a slightly smaller gap than is normal. Monday was the busiest day, with Friday again being the quietest weekday - perhaps because it overlaps with Saturday in many parts of the world.

attachment.php

Time of day

There were two busy periods: the main one peaking between 10 AM and 3 PM PST, with a second between 10 PM and 4 AM PST. This represents a change from the past where there tended to be only one main peak corresponding to daylight hours in North America. The quietest times were about 6 AM and 8 PM. The busiest hour (11 AM - 12 PM) had about 2.1 times as many reports as the quietest hour (5 - 6 AM).

attachment.php

Post reporters

4086 members reported posts in 2012. Of these people, 50% reported just one post, while 90% made 10 or fewer reports each. The top 10% of reporters made 76% of all reports, with the top ten reporters alone making 30% of all reports - an average of 1002 each.

There was some correlation between the top reporters and the top posters, however many members were high in one ranking but not the other. 50% of 2012 reports were made by the top 50 post reporters, while only 21% were made by the current top 50 most active posters.

attachment.php

Reported forums

The iPhone forum again had the most reports. Big movers included iPhone and iPod touch Apps (+14), Politics, Religion, Social Issues (+13, likely due to the 2012 US elections) and Mac Pro (+12). The top 20 forums by number of post reports were as follows; deltas are in comparison with figures from the second half of 2011.

Code:
Rank	Delta	Forum					Reports  Percentage
----	-----	---------------------------------------	-------- ----------
1	n/c	iPhone					5941	 17.7%
2	n/c	MacRumors.com News Discussion		4518	 13.5%
3	+5	iPad					2251	 6.7%
4	+1	MacBook Pro				2081	 6.2%
5	-2	Community Discussion			1791	 5.3%
6	n/c	Mac Applications and Mac App Store	990	 3.0%
7	new	iOS 6					814	 2.4%
8	+13	Politics, Religion, Social Issues	779	 2.3%
9	+8	iMac					756	 2.3%
10	n/c	Mac Basics and Help			712	 2.1%
11	-2	iPhone Accessories			612	 1.8%
12	-5	MacBook Air				527	 1.6%
13	+14	iPhone and iPod touch Apps		508	 1.5%
14	-1	Marketplace				499	 1.5%
15	-3	iOS 5					488	 1.5%
16	-2	Buying Tips and Advice			474	 1.4%
17	new	Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices	460	 1.4%
18	new	OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion			444	 1.3%
19	-8	iPhone Hacks				422	 1.3%
20	+12	Mac Pro					403	 1.2%

Report reasons

Moderators deal with a wide range of issues when handling post reports. The graph below shows some of the common issues and how the breakdown has changed over time. Spam remains the most common reason, and is hovering around an all time high in its share of all reports. For the other categories, the most noticeable trend is a steady but substantial decrease in reports about duplicate or double posts.

attachment.php

Reported threads

Some threads, particularly long or controversial ones, have a large number of posts reported. 73% of threads containing a reported post received just one report, while 145 threads received more than 10 reports. The highest number of reports for a thread was 83, for iPhone 5 Wallpaper idea.

Attachments

• months.png
    months.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 686
  • dayofweek.png
    dayofweek.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 486
  • hours.png
    hours.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 489
  • reporters.png
    reporters.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 480
  • reasons.png
    reasons.png
    46 KB · Views: 474

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Thank you to HexMonkey for doing this analysis. We're always curious to see these stats and it's fun to wallow in the data, but they also serve a practical purpose in helping us take a forest-level view of the forums and forum moderation, finding out when and where and how often moderators handle post reports, and how many forum users regularly help us (and everyone else) by reporting posts.

Thanks to everyone who lets us know about problems in the forums. It's the key to keeping the forums as useful as possible for the majority of forum members and site visitors.

And thanks to the moderators who volunteer so much of their time!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Just like to echo Dr Q here, and thanks to Hex Monkey for the stat work...At least i know when I report things it's getting done! The time of day is interesting, and whilst there is no members by name in the stats, I seem to report most of mine in the wee small hours when spammers think that they are more likely to get away with a post for a little longer...I'd say that around 80% of what I report must be streaming for TV shows or sporting events.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Just like to echo Dr Q here, and thanks to Hex Monkey for the stat work...At least i know when I report things it's getting done! The time of day is interesting, and whilst there is no members by name in the stats, I seem to report most of mine in the wee small hours when spammers think that they are more likely to get away with a post for a little longer...I'd say that around 80% of what I report must be streaming for TV shows or sporting events.

Agreed, although I seem to catch a lot of people trying to sell phones.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
iThink the stats show, that a certain amount of reporters uses the report button as a weapon in a personal war. On the other side, the report button is also a great weapon against spam.

Thanks, HexMonkey for the report!

;-)

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
iThink the stats show, that a certain amount of reporters uses the report button as a weapon in a personal war.

I haven't seen any evidence in the wider set of (non-public) statistics that this happens to a significant degree. Not to say it never happens, but we carefully evaluate each reported post as is (often taking no action) and tend to notice patterns of targeted reporting, so it doesn't typically have the intended effect.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
iThink the stats show, that a certain amount of reporters uses the report button as a weapon in a personal war.
While some members may report posts for such reasons, it's ultimately up to the moderation team to decide if a post is in violation or if any action should be taken.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, consider your post...REPORTED! :D

(Just kidding.)

Very interesting and insightful so thanks!

Question: how does one report a thread vs. a post? See below:

2012 post report summary:

• Number of post reports: 33552
  • Mean per day: 91.7
  • Max per day: 301
  • Min per day: 34
  • Number of post reporters: 4086
  • Number of reported members: 16990
  • Number of posts reported: 27837
  • Number of threads reported: 20041

Is it considered a "thread report" when the initial post in a thread is the one reported? That would seem logical but I figured I'd ask in case that's incorrect.

Thanks again!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
2012 Post Report Statistics

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, consider your post...REPORTED! :D

(Just kidding.)

Very interesting and insightful so thanks!

Question: how does one report a thread vs. a post? See below:

Is it considered a "thread report" when the initial post in a thread is the one reported? That would seem logical but I figured I'd ask in case that's incorrect.

Thanks again!

Reporting the first post or any post in a thread counts as the same. If your intent is to report a thread as a whole, report the first post and let us know its about the whole thing.

I believe HexMonkey is parsing the data to distinguish between the first post vs a non-first post to come to these stats.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Question: how does one report a thread vs. a post?

"Number of threads reported" is shorthand for "Number of threads containing at least one reported post". So if three posts are reported in one thread, and two in another, that would be five reported posts and two reported threads. It doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the thread as a whole.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Reporting the first post or any post in a thread counts as the same. If your intent is to report a thread as a whole, report the first post and let us know its about the whole thing.

Got it and will do. Thanks!

"Number of threads reported" is shorthand for "Number of threads containing at least one reported post". So if three posts are reported in one thread, and two in another, that would be five reported posts and two reported threads. It doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the thread as a whole.

Understood. Thanks for the clarification!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.