Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I was referred here by a moderator for this thread.

I want to apply for a job at my local Apple Store because it's the best interest I have for a first job.

First things first. I'm 16 years old and in Grade 11 in Alberta, Canada. Would I be able to apply or would this rule out any chance?

Second of all, what's the best fitting position I could apply for? I have no job experience but am very technically inclined and savvy and have an interest for Apple products and other products alike. I understand many technical terms.

I consider myself a people person and like to describe things that I like.

Anything else you need to know? Please ask, and please help me! I need to get a job sometime!

Last edited:

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
I was referred here by a moderator for this thread.

I want to apply for a job at my local Apple Store because it's the best interest I have for a first job.

First things first. I'm 16 years old and in Grade 11. Would I be able to apply or would this rule out any chance?

Second of all, what's the best fitting position I could apply for? I have no job experience but am very technically inclined and savvy and have an interest for Apple products and other products alike. I understand many technical terms.

I consider myself a people person and like to describe things that I like.

Anything else you need to know? Please ask, and please help me! I need to get a job sometime!

Retail.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
They wont offer you anything BUT retail, thats the starting point for all apple employees.

Efrem

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
Which branch specifically, and because of my age, would I be able to apply?
The best way to find out if you can apply at age 16 is to call them and ask. The second, which will probably take a bit longer, is to find the hiring qualifications on their Web site. Anything you read here is at best second hand evidence.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Something in the back of my head says they normally want 18 year olds minimum but something else says they have been known to make exceptions.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Something in the back of my head says they normally want 18 year olds minimum but something else says they have been known to make exceptions.

You have to be 18 to get bonded, you have to be bonded to work retail at most large retailers.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I worked at Target when I was 16. I knew other 16 year olds who worked at Best Buy, Wal-Mart and all sorts of other retail giants.

I believe all Apple retail employees can handle transactions, if you handle money you need to be bonded. If you never handle monetary transactions the need to be bonded wouldn't apply.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
If you are a software engineer, accountant, legal, hr, etc and wanted to work at Apple you have to start in retail?

No, but the thread title is "Apple Retail Store Requirements", might help give you an indication of the topic in question :p

Althoug my phrasing in my post originally might have been ambiguous.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Sorry to say, and I don't mean to be offensive or blunt, but this isn't really helpful...

You should call an Apple Store, ask to speak to a manager about employment, and then ask them what the requirements are.

In particular, since your main concern is whether your age is a disqualifier, ask specifically about your age.

You're in Canada, so requirements there will differ from those for the US or the UK. For example, bonding is not required in the US. In Canada, I don't know, and no one has specifically replied in this thread to say anything about bonding in Canada.

In my experience, if you want definitive answers, you should ask the person responsible. In this case, that would be an actual manager at an actual Apple Store in Canada, not random people from different countries replying in a MacRumors thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.