Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes is reporting that both Apple and Samsung are expected to introduce wireless charging solutions for their "flagship models" of smartphones in 2013.

NewImage20.png
While their "industry sources" pinpoint Qi inductive charging as the technology to be used by Samsung, Apple appears to be working on their own version of wireless charging.
Apple is likely to adopt the wireless charging technology developed internally, but it remains unknown if the next-generation iPhone will come with built-in wireless charging capability or with other attached accessories, said the sources.
Samsung's solution is said to be likely an add-on accessory to replace the back-cover of their smartphones. Palm used a similar back-cover replacement option for their short lived Touchstone wireless charging system for the Palm Pre. Digitimes' sources, however, weren't clear if Apple's solution would be built-in or an additional accessory.

Speculation has linked Apple to wireless charging solutions before, but Apple's Phil Schiller downplayed that possibility in late 2012. When questioned by AllThingsD about wireless charging systems:
As for wireless charging, Schiller notes that the wireless charging systems still have to be plugged into the wall, so it's not clear how much convenience they add. The widely-adopted USB cord, meanwhile, can charge in wall outlets, computers and even on airplanes, he said.
Apple has previously been shown to have done research into magnetic resonance charging technology which is distinct from the more commonly used inductive wireless charging.

Digitimes has a mixed record with Apple rumors, so Apple's likelihood of incorporating such technology so soon remains uncertain.

Article Link: Apple Exploring Wireless Charging for iPhone as Early as 2013?

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
If they can make it so the phone will charge if it is within, lets say 1 foot of the base station, I think that would be awesome. I could just put my phone on the nightstand/desk and have it charge automatically. This way I don't forget to charge it ever again.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Course they'll be accessories and I shudder to think how much they will charge for it. I can see the appeal but not interested.

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I don't see the benefit of a wireless charger. Don't you still have to set the device on a pad? How would you go about charging in your car? Would you have to lay the charging pad on the dash or the seat, and then pick up your phone whenever it slides off the pad?

The cord takes up essentially no desk space. A charging pad or dock would take up space on the desk. It just doesn't seem like a good idea beyond being a showroom feature.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Apple, give us what we really want: an upgraded, more expensive version of Lightning! Every adaptor cable should be at least dual core.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
I already have enough dose of electromagnetic radiation by browsing MacRumours all day. Don't want more.

Plus, who wants to wait twice as long for the iPhone to charge? Not me.

david510c

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
I'm sure if wireless charging is added, it won't be the "only" way to charge the phone. It would be a welcoming supplement for people that work in an office. The phone can be picked up whenever, but will charge when it is laid down.

Hawtin

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
I'd welcome this, mainly as lightning cables are total **** and are very likely to break.

Makes you think If they are infact thinking about this, what was the point in launching Lightning cables in the first place?

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
It's really easy. Just integrate the charger in all the Macs. You spend quite some time around your Mac and your iOS device will be charging at the same time. Plus no extra cables would be required in the wall outlet.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
create iTable -> any mobile device that sits on it will begin charging. boom billion dollar idea.

and then someone will spill coffee, short out the table and all devices will fry.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Why on earth does anyone care about wireless charging?

Dont really see the advantage of this.

I don't see the benefit of a wireless charger. Don't you still have to set the device on a pad? How would you go about charging in your car? Would you have to lay the charging pad on the dash or the seat, and then pick up your phone whenever it slides off the pad?

The cord takes up essentially no desk space. A charging pad or dock would take up space on the desk. It just doesn't seem like a good idea beyond being a showroom feature.

It's more for the sake of a little extra convenience, I use a Wireless Charger because all I have to do is set it on a little orb and not fumble in the dark trying to find the port on the bottom. I also like the angle it sits at.

wireless_charging_orb_nexus_4-580x325.jpeg

The lightning charger goes in both ways, is there a point? Yes, a little extra convenience. Is wireless syncing pointless? No, it's a little more convenient.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007

Uh, you'd use a cord? Wireless charging doesn't replace the cable, it supplements it (after all Apple will still need a lightning connector on the device...). So in the car you use a normal car charger and at home you have a convenient pad to just put your phone on rather than fish about for a cable. Is this for everyone? Absolutely not but for some it would fit in to their normal use quite nicely.

Hawtin

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
What are you doing with your cables? :eek:

Nothing out of the ordinary, I just find my cable very weak and flimsy. The internal cabling feels very loose where they join the actual charger. Think lots of people have had this issue

ilmman

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Samsung will make platforms to place the device to charge and Apple will make their iPhone charge when you walk into the house while the phone is still in your pocket..

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
You guys complain about everything. If you don't like it don't get it. But don't cry about Apple lacking innovation when they don't do something you don't like but will end up buying anyways.

Annoying as hell and getting tired of it. Go on another site if you don't like what Apple is doing.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Disadvantages of wireless charging

• Can't use (hold) the phone when charging
  • Charging is slower
  • Charging is less efficient
  • Costs money to implement. I would rather have other features in its place

DennisD7

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
London, UK
The only way I see this happening is if they make all Macs into base stations, and of course keep the Lightning as an option.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Apple's standard approach,

- Deny that they are interested in any feature the mainstream competitors already use.
- A year later, introduce the same feature, and call it revolutionary.

For example, you saw this with the screen size. Soon you'll get wireless charging and NFC. Both have Apple dismissed interest in, yet both will arrive, about 2-3 years after the competition. With proprietary technology, of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.