Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Thank you for your reply. I would like to discuss the 7 day time out I was given a week ago.

Ditto here; just back from a 10- or 15- day suspension, can't even remember anymore.

With the only difference that my suspension WAS considered incorrect ("mongrel dog" as a sociological criticism to the usual attitude of Brazilians), but still the moderator did not accept to lift it because he felt annoyed by my immediate and, dare I say, understandably "angry" reaction to the suspension itself (EVEN after I apologized for it, considering that the suspension WAS, once more, inappropriate as admitted by the moderation team).

The time is coming fast to cancel my membership in this forum - the emotional and kindergarten-like approach taken by moderators, in clear violation of their own "level-headed" standards, is just appalling - where is Arn in all this?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
Here are a few more example of posts that seem rude and insulting, even more so than what I got suspended for.

"Give it a rest, already! Don't you have anything better to do?"

"Finally, If you don't like it, too bad."

I really wish someone could explain to me why these aren't considered insulting, yet I posted "Go play your game with someone else" in reply to a user who has a habit of questioning what I post and doesn't like the answers I give when they question me, so it's like asking why? over and over; a game in my opinion.

I would like to think that a TOS violation is a TOS violation no matter who commits it. I understand that the penalty can vary depending upon a users history. Perhaps one user gets a warning while another gets a time out.

What bothers me is that I see plenty of posts similar and worse than what I posted and they still stand as though they are acceptable.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Here are a few more example of posts that seem rude and insulting, even more so than what I got suspended for.

"Give it a rest, already! Don't you have anything better to do?"

"Finally, If you don't like it, too bad."

I really wish someone could explain to me why these aren't considered insulting, yet I posted "Go play your game with someone else" in reply to a user who has a habit of questioning what I post and doesn't like the answers I give when they question me, so it's like asking why? over and over; a game in my opinion.

I would like to think that a TOS violation is a TOS violation no matter who commits it. I understand that the penalty can vary depending upon a users history. Perhaps one user gets a warning while another gets a time out.

What bothers me is that I see plenty of posts similar and worse than what I posted and they still stand as though they are acceptable.

I'm surprised that someone like you even wants to be on an Apple related forum.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
I'm surprised that someone like you even wants to be on an Apple related forum.

This post could be taken as a personal insult too. :) You're assuming an awful lot about me, aren't you?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I an confused as to why some remarks are considered personal insults and others that appear to me to be the same are not. What is ok and what is not? I'm not talking about the ones that are blatantly obvious. I am honestly confused about this and I do not want to violate the TOS by posting anything here that I am not supposed to. I would appreciate clarification.

"You are stupid" Direct insult.

One hit Time-Out is the result of said action.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
"You are stupid" Direct insult.

One hit Time-Out is the result of said action.

I understand the direct insult. What I would like to have clarified are some of the other posts that I have included in this thread which seem to be insults also, but they were allowed to stand. I compared them to a post I made which I thought was fine but was called an insult and resulted in disciplinary action. I would like to know why what I posted was an insult and why the ones that were made by others are not insults. Obviously due to privacy issues I didn't quote any users names with the posts I have referenced here. I have identified my post which was considered an insult. Why is mine an insult and the others are not?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I understand the direct insult. What I would like to have clarified are some of the other posts that I have included in this thread which seem to be insults also, but they were allowed to stand. I compared them to a post I made which I thought was fine but was called an insult and resulted in disciplinary action. I would like to know why what I posted was an insult and why the ones that were made by others are not insults. Obviously due to privacy issues I didn't quote any users names with the posts I have referenced here. I have identified my post which was considered an insult. Why is mine an insult and the others are not?

Everything depends on context. Let me review your posts and give you a better understood answer. However, bear in mind, different mods handle different incidents differently. Some may be more lenient that others. Also, it depends if said posts were reported or not. More to the fact, mods also take your previous posts into account before dishing out punishment or rather corrective action.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
This post could be taken as a personal insult too. :) You're assuming an awful lot about me, aren't you?

I cannot see any offense there, but we're all different.

I don't make assumptions. It's simply based on what I've read so far. The only things I know about you: You are not happy with Apple. You like to say how unhappy you are with them. You seem to like mainstream Cable TV shows. You don't like Apple.
Sorry, that's all that you have put out there of yourself, so what do you expect me to think of you?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007

I just read those. I am on the same boat as moderator ankh stated. Without a proper context, those posts just seem outright rude, but not insulting in any way.

However, if the poster was already agitated and seemed to be trying to coerce a negative response from you, then yes they can be taken as an insult. But like I said, assuming that context. Just as simply as they could be a one-time deal type post in such thread.

Like others have said, report the post you find offensive and a mod will take a look at it. Its that simple. Don't bite on troll bait. Seriously. Easy way to get TO'd.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
I just read those. I am on the same boat as moderator ankh stated. Without a proper context, those posts just seem outright rude, but not insulting in any way.

However, if the poster was already agitated and seemed to be trying to coerce a negative response from you, then yes they can be taken as an insult. But like I said, assuming that context. Just as simply as they could be a one-time deal type post in such thread.

Like others have said, report the post you find offensive and a mod will take a look at it. Its that simple. Don't bite on troll bait. Seriously. Easy way to get TO'd.

Do you think me posting" Go play your game with someone else" was an insulting post when I had answered another users questions about my initial post a few times but they just kept picking at me? Or was it just rude? My intent was to compare that one single post of mine to all of the others that I have quoted here. The posts I quoted here weren't directed at me, they were replies to a variety of users by a few different users. I'm trying to get a baseline or some kind of feel as to why my post was an insult and these others are not. There are many examples of posts like these just about everyday. My honest feeling right now is if I make a reply like the ones I quoted, I'll be suspended. Hence my question, a violation should be a violation no matter who commits it. The penalty can differ depending upon a users track record.

And thank you for your input, it's appreciated.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Applescruff1 if you have specific questions regarding moderation the method of getting those questions addressed is to use the contact us link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.