Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

launchcenterprologo.png
Launch Center Pro today received its first major update. The app, which was released last summer, creates shortcuts to functions within apps. As an example, it can be used to create a shortcut to send a message to a specific person or search Yelp with a predetermined search term.

Update 1.1 adds new in-app actions, allowing users to use preset text and group messaging, along with improved Text Expander support for URLs and a reorganized action composer.
-In-app messaging actions -- group messaging and preset text
-In-app email actions -- attach last photo taken or attach photo from the clipboard
-Clipboard actions -- place text on clipboard, place last photo on clipboard, convert text on clipboard, and x-callback-url support
-Expanded Text Expander support -- snippets can now be expanded automatically while launching an action
-New Tweet action -- tweet last photo taken
-Reorganized Action Composer
-Bug fixes and other enhancements

Launch Center Pro
is normally priced at $4.99, but to celebrate the update, the app has been discounted to $2.99. It can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Launch Center Pro Updated with New Actions and Redesigned Action Composer

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
This app is really good. it's way better if you know a little bit of programming though, as it is I was happy but when a friend show me his set I was DAMN! so, I was lucky enough to have him programed mine too. I think the dev needs to have a website where you can copy and paste custom codes for making this app superb!

if you don't want to jailbreak your device this is the perfect way of having a near perfect experience.

Steve J0bs

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
This app is really good. it's way better if you know a little bit of programming though, as it is I was happy but when a friend show me his set I was DAMN! so, I was lucky enough to have him programed mine too. I think the dev needs to have a website where you can copy and paste custom codes for making this app superb!

if you don't want to jailbreak your device this is the perfect way of having a near perfect experience.

Do you care to explain a little more? Very interested.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
This app looks interesting, but as far as I can tell from the demo it looks pretty useless. Like it was made for the short comings of a non-jailbroken iPhone.

At this point there are much better choices for phones other than iPhone especially if you are unwilling to jailbreak.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
This app looks interesting, but as far as I can tell from the demo it looks pretty useless. Like it was made for the short comings of a non-jailbroken iPhone.

At this point there are much better choices for phones other than iPhone especially if you are unwilling to jailbreak.

I am trying it, and personally don't find the shortcuts to be any more convenient than manually activating them from the respective apps themselves. For example, it takes 2 taps to compose a new email (launch app, tap on new email), similar to opening your mail app and starting a new mail.

Calling someone does seem slightly faster (app->dial contact->search name->call) compared to swipe to search->search name->tap on name->tap on phone number.

What it has enable me to do is consolidate my key phone functions into one app. I am organising most of my apps into folders so they can fit into 1 page, and with this app, I can tuck away my call and message apps away (relying on notifications and launch centre as need be).

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This app is calling the URL schemas available for apps (allowing for interapp communication), so the functionality it tied directly to what methods are available through each schema. As those expand, this app can potentially get more useful, though mostly just saves a tap, and has to be running [obviously].

blndcat

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
Not impressed

I bought the app last time it was on sale after hearing all the positive reviews. I don't use it much because there are so many basic things that can't be done or controlled.

It takes advantage of the url system so if an app doesn't have it implemented, you can't do anything apart from launch it. I can't remember exactly since I don't use it much but things like built-in apps and preferences are pretty much unsupported.

I'll update it and play around with it a little again to see if things have improved.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Calling someone does seem slightly faster (app->dial contact->search name->call) compared to swipe to search->search name->tap on name->tap on phone number.

One of the few things I've found Siri really convenient for, that and setting alarms (i.e. "wake me up at ____"). That's about it though.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
For those thinking its not any faster launching an app, that's not really the point.

Try setting up some actions.

Even something simple like searching imdb or google. The thing is if you get used to using it. It's always number 2 in the switcher.

What I'd like to know is how to daisy chain actions. Anyone have any tips? Dev is very responsive and helpful but I don't want to bother him.

Say. Set brightness to 0 and launch a nightstand app....set it as a reminder and its one tap in the notification centre

I agree the dev should host a forum or post more advanced examples..,but there are repositories documenting app interaction and a plots the dev sent me for customisation samples

lucascampelo

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
I use it all the time. Like someone else said, the point is not to just launch apps, it gets better when you write complex actions. Like this one I have: a friend of mine always asks me to send her a message when I arrive home, so she can be sure nothing happened on the way, after I gave her hide home. When I arrive at her place, I set this action that will automatically create a reminder of 7 minutes on Due (that is usually the time to get to my place from hers). When I check off the alarm, it sends me to Launch Center Pro again, with the text ("I'm home, honey :*") and the recipient of the message already set, so I just need to press "send".

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Honestly using Siri is faster than any of the example actions they show and you don't have to do any setup or configuring.

Want to text Jane? Say "Text Jane".

Want to call Jim? Say "Call Jim."

Want to search Google? Say "Search Google."

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Honestly using Siri is faster than any of the example actions they show and you don't have to do any setup or configuring.

Siri is never the fastest option.

Example:

"Text Jane"

...Wait for 60 seconds...

"Texting Jane"

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Siri is never the fastest option.

Example:

"Text Jane"

...Wait for 60 seconds...

"Texting Jane"

Maybe on your jailbroken iPhone 4 with a hacked Siri but on my iPhone 5 Siri is blazing fast. And yes "Text Jane" is faster than find tap, find tap, find tap, etc.

I actually just tested it.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I wound up picking it up. Wish I'd waited to read more reviews. The VAST majority of the lackluster list of 'supported' apps only have "launch" as an option. That begs the question of why I'd ever want to launch an app to launch an app.

Biggest waste of money I've seen in a while.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Maybe on your jailbroken iPhone 4 with a hacked Siri but on my iPhone 5 Siri is blazing fast. And yes "Text Jane" is faster than find tap, find tap, find tap, etc.

I actually just tested it.

Good for you. Do you want a cookie?

For your information, I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 3 and Siri is slow as balls on both of them, especially if you're not on WiFi.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Unfortunately that's practically completely useless when you want to do any of that (or anything else) in an environment where you want to or need to be quiet, for whatever reason--and there are far too many of those for the vast majority.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Unfortunately that's practically completely useless when you want to do any of that (or anything else) in an environment where you want to or need to be quiet, for whatever reason--and there are far too many of those for the vast majority.

I'm on the road a lot and I use Siri all the time. Also use it at my home office. It's top notch for productivity in both cases. It's obviously not meant for noisy environments though. That's when you use the slower tap, tap, tap method.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Do you care to explain a little more? Very interested.

Ok, with this app open all the time you can have a new slick interface very unique and it shines in your iPhone. With a touch of an icon you can do tasks that before this app you was able to do ot in five steps.

Here is my set scenario. I slide to open my iPhone touch the phone icon and around my finger I have my top favs contacts if I touch one of them I start calling him/her right away.

You can build your sets from scratch! It is one of thouse apps you can't live without.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.