Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
Just got mine 2 days ago and I have a few things to say/ ask...

1) I love it, it's spectacular :p

2) mine has these plastic vents clipped on top of the receiver's metal vents, and I can't find anything ANYWHERE about them, and I'm getting a little confused as to the reason for their existence, they don't look like they are there just to stop it from getting scratched in transit, but they don't seem like they could have any other purpose...

3) the speaker terminals are too damn close together and it makes it hard get the speaker cable in (but it's really a one time problem)

4) the remote wont control my Foxtel box (cable) the code is in the manual but it doesn't work :/ (but I hardly used this with my old receivers remote anyway)

5) did I mention I love it? :p

6) lists are fun but main point; see "2"

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
Might have to look into it should I ever re arange them, but next is a UD7007, then I'm doing Speakers so I's set for about 3 years unless we move/ renovate...

but the main reason I made this thread was for the plastic on top, I can't seem to figure out what it's for, so I can't decide weather to take it off or not

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Might have to look into it should I ever re arange them, but next is a UD7007, then I'm doing Speakers so I's set for about 3 years unless we move/ renovate...

but the main reason I made this thread was for the plastic on top, I can't seem to figure out what it's for, so I can't decide weather to take it off or not

Post a Picture here!

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
was just starting to think I might need to give a pic :p

hope this works :p

Attachments

• IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 365

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
scaled this one to 60% hope that's enough, 'cause it's not that easy to see in the photo

Attachments

• 60 percent.jpg
    60 percent.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 182

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
scaled this one to 60% hope that's enough, 'cause it's not that easy to see in the photo

Wasn't any better, what I means is, and that's why I added MB, is the file is too big for me to download, my internet allows me 128KB but at 2 MB it gets stuck.
If you have a JPG you can easily set the quality to 50% without loosing much, it makes the picture something like 300-400 KB.

Anyhow, I used a download manager and had a look at the picture.

Those clips are sometimes used to hold something inside, it's a cheap way to do so instead of studs or whatever, but, it seems there's nothing attached to it on the inside and removing them would not harm anything it seems.

On my job we sometimes use similar techniques.

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
it's not the clips themselves, but the plastic it is holding on top, if you take a look further up the picture you'll see it's on top of the vents right across the front half of the amp

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
it's not the clips themselves, but the plastic it is holding on top, if you take a look further up the picture you'll see it's on top of the vents right across the front half of the amp

Give me 5-10 minutes, I am doing something in photoshop with it, it crashes on my Mini, have to use my old Laptop, back in a 10 minutes.

Quick Photoshop, shabby job though.

In the below screenshot you see several colours, green are the clips, the red is the line separating two plates, these clips are needed to hold these plates on the Marantz, could be with screws (Blue) or just clips.

I think it's not a nice solution, clearly not made by Apple, does this mean it's inferior, by no means but the engineers should have chosen a nicer way to attach these plates, or whatever they are called.

This is my assessment, might be different but I think I am right so don't remove them.

Attachments

• Clips.jpg
    Clips.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
you're seeing things with the blue, nothing there, must just be the pic, I'm just trying to determine if I take the plastic plates off or not... screw it I'm taking them off if something goes bang I'll let you know...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
you're seeing things with the blue, nothing there, must just be the pic, I'm just trying to determine if I take the plastic plates off or not... screw it I'm taking them off if something goes bang I'll let you know...

I know there's nothing there on the outside, there might be on the inside but it's most likely clipped on.

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
I have no problem with feeding the wire in and screwing the terminal down, the problem was the terminals are too close to gather, when I re do the speaker wire at the amp end next I'll get banana plugs, but I have no need for them at the speaker end, there's plenty of room there

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Just got mine 2 days ago and I have a few things to say/ ask...

1) I love it, it's spectacular :p

2) mine has these plastic vents clipped on top of the receiver's metal vents, and I can't find anything ANYWHERE about them, and I'm getting a little confused as to the reason for their existence, they don't look like they are there just to stop it from getting scratched in transit, but they don't seem like they could have any other purpose...

3) the speaker terminals are too damn close together and it makes it hard get the speaker cable in (but it's really a one time problem)

4) the remote wont control my Foxtel box (cable) the code is in the manual but it doesn't work :/ (but I hardly used this with my old receivers remote anyway)

5) did I mention I love it? :p

6) lists are fun but main point; see "2"

What speakers are you powering with this bad boy? Been thinking about the SR5007 for myself, and positive experiences by others using members of this family of AVRs is always reassuring.

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
for now, some Klipsh, I think I have F-20's at the front, S20 surrounds and B30 rears, not 100% though, they sounded good in the store and the guy gave us a great deal way back now, so I figured why not :p. but once I get my UD7007 I'll be looking for new speakers, so far I'm thinking Vaf Research, luckily the only outlet on earth is in my city :D

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
for now, some Klipsh, I think I have F-20's at the front, S20 surrounds and B30 rears, not 100% though, they sounded good in the store and the guy gave us a great deal way back now, so I figured why not :p. but once I get my UD7007 I'll be looking for new speakers, so far I'm thinking Vaf Research, luckily the only outlet on earth is in my city :D

Cool. Klipsch is definitely a solid choice for home theater use. I've got aset of RB51's that I started out in my theater, but have migrated to the bedroom for a 2 channel setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.