Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I hope apple gets over its bitter fight with samsung soon because let's face it, it's apples customers that are paying the price by having inferior suppliers come in and take over what samsung did right. I'm glad my rmbp has a Samsung ssd and screen. These reports only make me feel more confident in the resale value of my unit.

when was sandisk every inferior? there one of the top memory producers

Syndra

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
My brand new (less than a week) 15" rMBP has this issue. It happens fairly often, I'm hoping it is indeed a software fix because I dont want to have to swap out my computer.

It doesnt cause any issue other than annoyance (max fan speed is pretty loud)

e: It has a 512 SSD

Who made the SSD, is the type APPLE SSD SM256E like mine, or something else?

Because I don't think I have this problem.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
My brand new (less than a week) 15" rMBP has this issue. It happens fairly often, I'm hoping it is indeed a software fix because I dont want to have to swap out my computer.

It doesnt cause any issue other than annoyance (max fan speed is pretty loud)

e: It has a 512 SSD

At the price you paid, an annoyance is unacceptable.

jas07

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Glad to see Im not the only one with this issue! Ive had a case open with Apple Care since November, had a total of 8 Replacement Machines and all have had this problem, it has been escalated up to "Senior Engineering" who are apparently investigating it and have confirmed its not right and appears to be a software issue.

The quickest and easiest way Ive got to reproduce it is simply download a large file (500MB+) in Safari either over Wifi or Wired Ethernet and the fans will max out.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Odd, I have one with a Samsung SSD, and find is usually runs too hot for my liking. Doing anything with video other than iTunes or Silverlight causes the machine to get so hot that the keyboard could easily give you 1st degree burns. I have to use SMC Fan Control, just to keep the fans running quickly enough to keep the machine at a reasonable temperature. A laptop running at 200F or more is a bit excessive.

TEG

eyehop

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
I have one of the early 15 MBP Retinas. It has "Apple SSD SM512E Media". It too has an overactive fan in my opinion, which I've just accepted. It seems to have mostly to do with Flash running and/or browsers being memory hogs. It also occurs when doing background tasks during sleep, such as Time Machine backups.

jonmitz

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
If it were me, I'd return it.

Let Apple determine if it's fixable or not first. Then re-buy if need be.

Haswell refresh is gonna crush these slight bump 15" rMBP's anyways. Rev B as some are calling it.

But if I had a Samsung SSD/LCD I'd be more happy than a quicker machine, call me weird.

I did it with iPad3, returned to it from the 4 (not knowing 100% who makes it, but my eyes don't lie). The 'dynamic contrast' issue WilliamG has a thread about and it still not resolved was icing on the cake.

I'm considering this. I'm going to follow this issue closely and determine if that's a good option. Why would I take it back if every model has the same issue? If it's a software fix, I might as well just wait.

Who made the SSD, is the type APPLE SSD SM256E like mine, or something else?

Because I don't think I have this problem.

It's an APPLE SSD SD512E.

I think I might swing by an apple store this weekend if I get a chance and talk to them about it.

e: and yeah, I agree, for a computer of this price it shouldn't have any issues. As far as I can tell, it does appear to be software because this computer runs incredibly cool, even under moderate load. I know some people have been saying their SSD has been killed by this but I am guessing they have a different issue because I havent really seen my SSD get above low 40's.

e2: im not qualified to really say if it's a HW or SW issue.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I'm considering this. I'm going to follow this issue closely and determine if that's a good option. Why would I take it back if every model has the same issue? If it's a software fix, I might as well just wait.

Probably because it appears that not everybody does has the issue.

In the same way that if you have an LG screen with image retention, Apple says 'don't worry, be happy'

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

"unique characteristics" of IPS display. See it's a perk? In case you forgot what you had on the previous window minimized, don't worry it'll be temporarily burned into your grey background! more like of a poorer made IPS display :rolleyes:

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Should have used a Samsung SSD.

Why’s there always so many Samsung contractors commenting on MacRumors?!!!! So obvious they are paid by Samsung or just extreme Korean patriots, the former has higher probability.

FACT: Samsung is never the top SSD producer on the market, never better than SanDisk.

Last edited:

jonmitz

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
I have a case # with apple support. They told me they are aware of the issue (he said he saw it on macrumors earlier today) and they are working on it. Apple tech recommended I check apple update periodically, and I told him if it's not fixed in a week or so I will call them back.

Since it's probably a SW issue I'm going to sit tight for now and see how things play out.

Last edited:

Ynot

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2006
My 2010 Macbook Pro does this for no apparent reason, randomly a few times a month. I'll go to look at a website like BBC or CNN, with no other applications open, and with the MBP previously inactive for hours, and within a minute the fans will start blowing loudly, usually for about three or four minutes.

There you almost answered your own Question. Both Sight use "FLASH" so You might uninstall Flash. Reinstall the new Newest version. Clear the Cashes and increase the Local Memory allocation for the above websites within the Flash System settings.

To test the theory open Activity-monitor Select All Processes and Sort bid CPU Usage. You will see that FlashPlayer its up at the top of the List when your Fans are creating there own music.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Why’s there always so many Samsung contractors commenting on MacRumors?!!!! So obvious they are paid by Samsung or just extreme Korean patriots, the former has higher probablity.

LOL.

you'd have rather have inferior parts than just own up to your fanboyism.

The ideal customer.

I'll be sure to give you a fast food grade cut of meat at Mortons and charge you their premium price because you don't seem to mind.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
This is what apple gets:rolleyes:

If they quit being all proprietary.. and gives us the option of using 2.5 drives, we wouldn't have issues but no... screw us the consumer and jack the price up

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Doesn't Flash use lots of resources on OS X?

Go on this website and watch your CPU usage :D

Jim Carrey Official Site

Yes. If you want to see something fun take a pre unibody MacBook and run anything flash. Jet plane in 3-2-1. Lol. Even with the latest version and on both the 950 and x3100 cards. The last of them, the white only with 9400 I don't think does it.

As far as this issue I would look at the temp sensors. On the laptops most of the time they were essentially in the case and measured in zones. I am curious if there is an external sensor, it may be reading errantly and causing this mess. That should be something fixable with an SMC or EFI update.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
My 15" rMBP freezes several times a day with the same issue. Seems to be a graphics issue. I've tried reinstalling from scratch but nothing has worked. I contacted Apple after a couple months, but they wouldn't replace it. Then I wasted more time with an "high level" Apple customer support person. They had a tech look at my logs, and he pretty much agreed there was a graphics issue.

The customer service rep pretty much wasted my time and said they'd only repair the machine, same as the Apple store genius told me. This was probably 4 months ago, and it's frustrating, but I don't want to be without my computer for a few days, so I haven't taken it in yet. On top of that, my display has the "image retention" problem like a plasma display used to have.

It's pretty frustrating to spend all this money and get a bad machine and no help from Apple. I've probably had 20 Apple computers in my life, this has been the worst experience by far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.