Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dabbert

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
I bought two iPhone 5's in December, a white and a black one (as presents for my twins turning 16). Being based in Belgium means I paid the ridiculous unlocked price of over 1.000 USD, per phone (ok, for the 64 GB models).

The black one connected to my airport extreme wifi network within 30 seconds, the white one just didn't do anything. I tried ALL the tips and tricks I could find in this thread and many others, but nothing worked. I finally had it replaced. The new one arrived yesterday and has exactly the same problem.

Now to put things in perspective: I am an Apple user since the 1980's, I have two MacPro's, 3 iMac's, and iPhone 4 and two iPads all merrily connected to the WiFi with no problems, year after year.

So a hardware problem on certain batches of iPhones seems likely? I found another forum in which someone claimed the phones with Apple chips have this problem, the ones with Intel chips don't. I have had no possibility yet of checking if this is true.

But surely Apple must know about this - and so does the press. Why has it not been made into a bigger deal? I am a huge Apple fan, but paying over a thousand dollar for a machine that continues not to work properly has really got me annoyed - and is not much of a present for my daughter (who cannot use her phone subscription as her old larger sim card was deactivated!).

Any further thoughts anyone? :(

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
This is the exact problem that I had tonight in the Apple Store. Here is my story.

Since 6.0.2, I have had wi-fi problems as far as downloading apps and music from the cloud. Other general slowness issues but those are the big two. I tried to download 48 songs the other day and it took about 3 hours and just 15 apps took about 2 hours.

So I called Apple support tonight just to see if they had any tips on fixing this issue before I went to the Apple Store. After going through everything he knew, the phone rep told me that it was obviously a hardware issue, that he would create a case number, and that once I gave this case number to the Apple genius I would get a replacement phone.

Well, I go to the Apple Store and I can't recreate the problem because the Apple Store, and I'm not joking here, has super wi-fi. The fastest speeds I've ever seen anywhere. I explain to the genius that I'm an advanced user of the iPhone and that I'm not one of those people who brings their phone in for every little issue.

Because the problem can't be replicated in the Apple Store, he sends me on my way. Since then, I've stopped at a McDonalds with attwifi and a Starbucks as well. Extreme wi-fi slowness at both those spots as well.

This is very frustrating and I've even considered swapping my unlocked 5 for an unlocked 4S. Because of the extended Xmas return policy I still have a couple of days to make that decision. I doubt I'll do it though. I'll probably just live with the issue.

Why don't you run speed tests (speedtest.net) at various locations with wifi and take screen shots and then show the screen shots to a "genius"?

When I have had issues, I always document the issue with a screen shot and they will always change out my phone!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I have not upgraded to the next version because I have 2 apps that I'm afraid might not work correctly. I just started having wifi issues yesterday and I've had the phone since release day. It is happening both at home and at work. Since 6.0.2 doesn't seem to have fixed it for everyone, is it worth it to try it? How hard would it be to downgrade if my apps don't work?

All your apps that worked on 6.0.1 will work fine on 6.0.2

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
My ISP forced me to switch my Modem/Router yesterday and now I have to use the WPA2-AES encryption and getting the slowdowns with my IP5 and iPad3.

The old Modem/Router used the WEP encryption and of course there was no issues.

I noticed the WPA2-AES encryption slowdowns starts happening at a certain distances.

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
All your apps that worked on 6.0.1 will work fine on 6.0.2

It doesn't work all the time now, that's my concern. On one of them iphone 5 isn't even supported although they say "optimized for iphone 5". Seems like the wifi is working fine now. It was off and on the past 2 days but has been ok since yesterday afternoon.

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
My wifi will connect on 6.0.2 but it won't show the symbol on the status bar. It also takes a long time to connect (10secs approx)

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Why don't you run speed tests (speedtest.net) at various locations with wifi and take screen shots and then show the screen shots to a "genius"?

When I have had issues, I always document the issue with a screen shot and they will always change out my phone!

It's not a problem with the speed of the different wi-fi networks. The speed tests are fine in all these places where I have done the testing(my home, McDonalds, Starbucks). It's something inside the iPhone 5 that is the problem. It's the hardware.

The Apple Store has what I call "super wi-fi" and the problem can't be duplicated in their store. A friend of mine says they have a T-3 network(whatever that is) and it's just much faster than normal wi-fi networks. The speeds were incredible on the speedtest app when I was there last week.

I was out with a buddy of mine last week who has an iPhone 5 and when he dropped me off, I brought in his iPhone 5 to see if it had the same slow downloading issue over wifi with apps and music that I do. It did.

self

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
This is maddening! I'm still having issues. Wifi just completely stops working, and I have to reboot my phone to get it back. It ONLY happens at home, with my 2011 Time capsule. Other devices work with the Time Capsule just fine, and my phone doesn't have issues on any other Wifi network.

It most often happens when I arrive home from being out and about. When I reboot the phone, Wifi works great until I leave and come back hours later, upon which it's broken again.

Starting to wonder if I have defective hardware here. :p

Same here, and it happens to me almost every day. Works fine at work, but when I come home the wifi is unusable. When I run speedtest.net the ping will usually work, but the download stops halfway through and the upload fails. If I run again, it's usually worse, like the ping doesn't even work. Turning wifi off then back on has no effect. Turning off LTE has no effect. Rebooting always fixes the problem.

My MBPR of course has no problem. I've disabled bluetooth on both the MBPR and iPhone to eliminate the variable of interference at 2.4GHz. No effect.

My router at home is built-in to a Verizon Westell 7500 (802.11g). I was thinking of buying an AirPort Express, in case it's an issue with switching between 802.11g and (what I assume I have at work) 802.11n. But it sounds like that won't help?

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
543918_10151331446958908_1399490102_n.jpg

Back in business, found the WEP encryption in "G" mode only on this new Modem/Router. Until Apple fixes the WPA2-AES problems, it's back to the old skool for me. For now it's G mode only, hide my SSID, mac address filtering and enjoy my stable & easily hacked Wifi.

I know this is not the solution, but it's better then having sketchy slow WiFi speeds two floors down from me and I've been using WEP since I started to have at Wifi at home many years ago.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Device: iPhone 5 / iOS 6.0.2
Service: 3Mbps DSL (AT&T)
Equipment: Airport Express (2nd gen) / Netgear DSL modem
Security: WPA2 Personal (AES)

The attached speed results match what I get on my desktop using Chrome, so no complaints here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 103

onlinegamesnz

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
iPhone CANNOT PING

Ive been having issues lately with WiFi on my iPhone 5 running ios6. My wifi would connect fine and all was good, however soon (maybe after a disconnect and reconnect) my wifi was completely dead.

I checked my DHCP table and confirmed the lease my iphone was given. Then i tried to ping the host. With no reply, i checked and confirmed the ip on my iPhone, tried to "renew lease" from the iphone, and "forget this network" and rejoined, obviously it was assigned the same lease each time. I tried to ping it again, no reply

What i found was the LOCAL PC arp table was incorrect. Something (in this case i think my router, but could be the iphone i guess) is not updating the correct arp information.

Run arp -a from cmd.exe and confirm the IP of your iphone with the MAC address

Settings >> General >> About >> Wi-Fi Address

In my case it was completely wrong. So i ran arp -d 192.168.x.xx (deletes the incorrect entry)

then

arp -s 192.168.x.x xx-xx-xx-xx-xx (MAC) (adds the new entry with the IP and correct MAC / Target)

and all was fine, i was able to SSH into the phone again and PING and do everything.

The odd this is, i always had DNS and network access from the iphone. And even with the iPhones wifi off, i could ping the assigned IP from a PC which tells me the PCs arp table is being updated with another client with that IP?

Anyway just hopes this helps others as it was a bit ODD and still is

Last edited:

Pepsidude

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
had the same problem

I had the same problem with my 16 gig black slate I got on launch day. I took it back to apple and came up with some lame reason to tell them so they would replace it. they gave me a new one and it did the same thing. This one had the old software version (6.0) so I took it back again with a different lame reason and when I set this one up it had the new version of software already installed which meens it was manufactured later.. Point here is, its been confirmed from two different Apple techs that I have talked to over the phone that there was some defective wifi chips in the early stages of manufacturing but in typical Apple fasion, didnt want to do a recall so they would just replace phones on a "as needed basis" The reason I came up with a lame story to tell them is because they will not believe you when you tell them your wifi is not working and you will get in and out quicker by just saying that the phone keeps shutting off for no reason or something stupid like that. No problems after that. Thats my story so take it for what its worth!!

rextilleon

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
I had the same problem with my 16 gig black slate I got on launch day. I took it back to apple and came up with some lame reason to tell them so they would replace it. they gave me a new one and it did the same thing. This one had the old software version (6.0) so I took it back again with a different lame reason and when I set this one up it had the new version of software already installed which meens it was manufactured later.. Point here is, its been confirmed from two different Apple techs that I have talked to over the phone that there was some defective wifi chips in the early stages of manufacturing but in typical Apple fasion, didnt want to do a recall so they would just replace phones on a "as needed basis" The reason I came up with a lame story to tell them is because they will not believe you when you tell them your wifi is not working and you will get in and out quicker by just saying that the phone keeps shutting off for no reason or something stupid like that. No problems after that. Thats my story so take it for what its worth!!

Makes no sense. Just bought an Iphone5 from my local AAT store. I have the same Wi-Fi problems that have been reported.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I'm having serious wi-fi issues. 6.1.2. Probably for a week or two now. Usually happens two or three times a day. Disabling wi-fi off then on fixes the issue. But it inevitably returns. I'm assuming this is software related seeing that I've had my 5 since its launch and wi-fi was never an issue before.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
What iOS are you on? Update to iOS 6.1.2, it might help you. iOS 6.1 fixed my wifi problems

Same here.
I was having tons of wifi issues with 2 iphone 5's on my family plan.
Ever since we went up to 6.1 and 6.1.2 not a single issue knock on wood.
Im very happy I dont have to toggle airplaine mode or restart the phone 6-7 times a day any more.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
Had zero battery/wifi issues with 6.0 and 6.1. But now my iPhone 5 with 6.1.2 has two times shorter battery life and constant wifi drops and weaker connection. Great job, Apple! Absolutely stunning :(

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I'm having serious wi-fi issues. 6.1.2. Probably for a week or two now. Usually happens two or three times a day. Disabling wi-fi off then on fixes the issue. But it inevitably returns. I'm assuming this is software related seeing that I've had my 5 since its launch and wi-fi was never an issue before.

It appears if say you're watching a YouTube video lasting 20+ minutes, the iOS somehow detects you are in standby mode and turns off the wifi. If you lock and unlock, you'll notice wifi reconnects immediately

Is that the kind of wifi issues you are experiencing?

----------

Had zero battery/wifi issues with 6.0 and 6.1. But now my iPhone 5 with 6.1.2 has two times shorter battery life and constant wifi drops and weaker connection. Great job, Apple! Absolutely stunning :(

Although not the best solution but you can trying restoring to iOS 6.1.2 and see if it fixes your weaker connection, shorter battery life, or wifi drops. Are you jailbroken?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
It appears if say you're watching a YouTube video lasting 20+ minutes, the iOS somehow detects you are in standby mode and turns off the wifi. If you lock and unlock, you'll notice wifi reconnects immediately

Is that the kind of wifi issues you are experiencing?

Nope. Just happens with normal use. Thought about doing a complete restore but would rather not.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
Although not the best solution but you can trying restoring to iOS 6.1.2 and see if it fixes your weaker connection, shorter battery life, or wifi drops. Are you jailbroken?
I'm already at the 6.1.2, how can I restore to it? :)
Nope, I'm not jailbroken.
P.S. Tried to reset the phone settings and fully recharge the battery. Didn't help.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I'm already at the 6.1.2, how can I restore to it? :)
Nope, I'm not jailbroken.
P.S. Tried to reset the phone settings and fully recharge the battery. Didn't help.

Just plug your iPhone to your computer, open iTunes and click restore.

Not too certain if it's your backup or just the iOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.