Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
"Oops! An up-to-date Java has not been detected"

I'm now getting this message in Safari when accessing Pogo games despite having updated to the latest Oracle Java a day or two ago (and the person I'm playing against got the same message on their Safari). This is in Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

Anyone know what the deal is? How can it not detect Oracle's Java? The Java preference pane says it's up-to-date with the latest version. The only suggestion it had was to delete the java plugin and re-install. WTF!? Is Apple's browser/OS that freaking STUPID? Don't they have a deal with Oracle to provide up-to-date Java? How the heck is this a "just works" situation when Apple's own browser cannot tell that Java is up-to-date when everything else can? And yes I quit Safari completely. I even tried a reboot. It insists it cannot detect it.

I'm now trying a full re-install, but the thing is that it worked yesterday. Only today does it say it can't detect it.... My friend has had this happen at least three other times in Mountain Lion and every time it has been up-to-date.

The full install "worked" but my friend accidentally closed their game window and when they reloaded Pogo.com, it gave the SAME error all over again. Apple has a MASSIVE BUG here and sadly I can find only one other mention on the ENTIRE INTERNET (I guess Mac people don't play Java games on Safari). Firefox gives the 'ole "warning" message about Java being a vulnerable plugin (no matter how many times you update Java, it doesn't like it period and this is at best confusing to my friend who likes to play Scrabble but is not the LEAST bit computer literate and hence the reason she bought a MAC in the first place, but her experience with OSX and Java makes her feel the Mac is garbage and I can't say I blame her. This is 100% BULLCRAP.

She tried Firefox and after warning about the plugin (and hitting go anyway) it loaded the game so far and then just didn't even come up...so that's two out of two strikes. Apple fracked this one up big time and they don't care since the disavowed themselves of Java some time ago and can't even make their browser recognize it properly.

Last edited:

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, DUH. What part of I already have/had it did you miss above? It's in the very first line even. :rolleyes:

Oracle probably updated it again after yet another vulnerability was found. Yes that can happen in 2 days.

Oh and this isn't Apple's fault. Would you rather your Mac got compromised? It's Oracle's fault for putting out ****** software.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Oh and this isn't Apple's fault.

*If* the problem is that Apple has blocked it, then it is indeed Apple's fault. Oracle didn't ask Apple to block it; Apple did that on its own. The problem is compounded by Apple not providing a GUI way to re-enable the plugin once it has been blocked.

MagnusVonMagnum, if you turn off "Install system data files and security updates" in Software Update preferences then it "should" prevent blocking in the future, however this won't override the existing block. Naturally you will also need to keep on top of future security updates yourself (you can set Java to automatically check for updates in the Java Control Panel, which is accessed through System Preferences).

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Oracle probably updated it again after yet another vulnerability was found. Yes that can happen in 2 days.

Oh and this isn't Apple's fault. Would you rather your Mac got compromised? It's Oracle's fault for putting out ****** software.

No, it wasn't updated again. Didn't I mention I checked again above? Doesn't anybody actually read the original posts carefully before spouting off-topic about unrelated things like the decision to hand over to Oracle or Apple blocking things. Yes, it claimed to be blocking it, but it wasn't out of date; it was working the day before and re-installing it got it working again, although my friend's computer gave the same error again when she accidentally closed the gaming window and restarted Safari...yet it went away again after re-starting a 3rd time. It seems pretty obvious to me there's some kind of faulty version checking going on if it's inconsistent between Safari starts even (and is using the latest version).

*If* the problem is that Apple has blocked it, then it is indeed Apple's fault. Oracle didn't ask Apple to block it; Apple did that on its own. The problem is compounded by Apple not providing a GUI way to re-enable the plugin once it has been blocked.

MagnusVonMagnum, if you turn off "Install system data files and security updates" in Software Update preferences then it "should" prevent blocking in the future, however this won't override the existing block. Naturally you will also need to keep on top of future security updates yourself (you can set Java to automatically check for updates in the Java Control Panel, which is accessed through System Preferences).

Like I said, it IS up-to-date. This is some kind of version checking bug in Safari. It doesn't affect Firefox (although Firefox doesn't want to work with Pogo half the time anyway and NEITHER works correctly with their text input boxes after the first few rounds since V7 of Java came out; V6 didn't and still doesn't have that issue (assuming you can use V6 in Snow Leopard and Apple didn't block it there too). I know this because I used V6 a few weeks ago shortly before upgrading my 2008 Macbook Pro to Mountain Lion and the text input for chat and the dictionary app worked 100% of the time. I have yet to see V7 of Java work correctly with text input with Scrabble on Pogo yet (on a Mac at least; I haven't tried it with Windows to see if acts up there as well in that regard).

In any case, blocking future security warnings would also block EVERYTHING ELSE along with Java warnings (highly undesirable to block updates for trojans, etc.; it's like throwing out the baby with the bath water) and besides, this seems to be some obscure version checking bug since I've only ever had it happen once here on my 2012 Mac Mini (although my friend has had it happen on three different occasions with a 2012 Macbook Pro and only with Safari).

The warning it gives isn't the same one as when they put up the initial block a couple of months back. This one simply says an up-to-date Java version has not been detected. It doesn't say Java has been blocked for a specific reason. It's clearly a different warning and linked to a version check that is somehow failing for unknown reasons but inconsistently. I haven't seen it again since re-installing Java from scratch (i.e. delete old plugin and re-install the same version again, although like I said earlier, my friend DID see it again, but then it disappeared again on its own).

I think this does show that very few Mac people play Java games or we'd see more reports of the bug.

dreamworks21

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
same problems here

I'm having the same problems as well. Tried going into the Java Control Panel to see if there was some setting under "Advanced" that would alleviate this problem but couldn't find anything.

Also, the OP seems like a real salty peanut for someone looking for help.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
I'm having the same problems as well. Tried going into the Java Control Panel to see if there was some setting under "Advanced" that would alleviate this problem but couldn't find anything.

Also, the OP seems like a real salty peanut for someone looking for help.

Given the only "help" I got was someone who didn't READ the OP, I think saltiness is the least of the problems here. Re-installing Java from scratch so far has not caused the issue to resurface here. I still think it's some kind of old cache not being flushed properly or something issue with Safari not really with Java itself.

dreamworks21

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Given the only "help" I got was someone who didn't READ the OP, I think saltiness is the least of the problems here. Re-installing Java from scratch so far has not caused the issue to resurface here. I still think it's some kind of old cache not being flushed properly or something issue with Safari not really with Java itself.

I actually just performed an all-clear-cache operation and now java works fine with pogo for me.

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_java_cache.xml

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
I actually just performed an all-clear-cache operation and now java works fine with pogo for me.

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_java_cache.xml

I had to re-install Java once and then enable it with the Java test site and I haven't had a problem since with Pogo.com, but my friend regularly gets the "can't find an up-to-date Java installed" message in Safari and weirder yet, the Java test site does work every time now on her machine. It just wants to crap out on Pogo.com for some odd reason. I guess Firefox usually doesn't give her any problems with Pogo, though.

mdmpress

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2013
Can't get Pogo Scrabble to work

I wasted a couple of hours yesterday installing Java over and over again, double and triple checking all the preferences (Safari, MacBook Air. OS 10.8.3), refreshing and re-refreshing. No dice. (BTW, everything works fine on my older MacBook running OS 10.6.8). Then, suddenly it worked! ONCE! Today it's back to being unable to see Java. All other games work OK (at least, all the others I've tried...) I guess I can just pull out the old computer to play Scrabble, but it's really idiotic. I don't know whose fault it is---Apple? Pogo? EA? Phases of the Moon? It's also impossible to contact EA. Naturally...

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012

I'd hate to see how you would react when faced with a more serious issue (i.e car won't start, late for work. Girlfriend cheated on me -- which I wouldn't be surprised. Kid got bad report card. Etc.)

patrizju

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2011
Visit this Sun Java site http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp and active it by clicking on the inactive plugin grey box.

It will activate java properly. Worked for me after two days of knocking my head against the wall!

Enjoy.

You are the actual man, I've been trying to sort this for insanely long, problem solved in five seconds!!! I tried to register to thank you for your genius and found out I already had an account! Keep on being the man, man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.