Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Is it a bad idea to buy an internal drive for my MP from a site like Amazon and have it shipped to my house. By bad idea, I mean potential for damage from shipping, not obvious damage, damage that could cause problems later?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've done it without any problems. I'd say they're generally packed pretty well to avoid any possible damage.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I ordered an Iomega enclosed drive from Amazon about 1-1/2 years ago and it was was packaged rather ---loosely--, tried it out & it made terrible noises so I returned it without difficulty. I then ordered a bare WD Green HDD and also a separate enclosure from Amazon and they were both packaged much better. I guess it just depends. Amazon's return policy is excellent though.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
If you buy it from a store, it would have been shipped to a store anyway.

Derpage

Suspended
Mar 7, 2012
I usually have mine teleported directly into my computer if I'm too busy to build my own....:cool:

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Amazon has had some heinous complaints using Lazership. They deliver "last mile"- meaning creepy guys in un/poorly marked vehicles, packages left on busy sidewalks, no notices, drivers locked out of buildings that UPS/FedEx have access to...

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Whether it gets shipped to a store or gets shipped to your house doesn't matter.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
And, the heads are parked in there home position, they can not damage the platters.
Shipping is shipping, many/most are from Asia, how do you think they get to US/Europe.
I find this an odd question.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Any place but Newegg. A good half the drives I've ever gotten from them arrive DOA.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Is it a bad idea to buy an internal drive for my MP from a site like Amazon and have it shipped to my house. By bad idea, I mean potential for damage from shipping, not obvious damage, damage that could cause problems later?

Buy it from NewEgg. I order my HDDs from there and so far, none come damaged from shipping. Very well packed.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
You'll probably get the same everywhere.

Newegg is notoriously bad. I've gotten drives from many different places, never as many DOA as from them. It's pretty much a 50/50 gamble with Newegg. They have great customer service, but still a pain.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

There are two general classes of drives you can buy. Those in "retail" boxes and OEM "bare" drives wrapped in a antistatic sleeve.

If it is a retail box drive then it is probably OK no matter who you get it shipped from. The shipper should put in some redundant padding so the internal box doesn't widely bang around, but the retail boxes are usually pretty well designed to protect the drive.

If it is a drive in a antistatic sleeve/bag then how the vendor packages the drive is an issue. Amazon and OWC typically use quality boxes and stuff enough packing padding ( air bags , corn packing peanuts , whatever bio-friendly material on their short list) and ship them off. Some other folks don't do as good of a job.

OEM drives are usually shipped to stores ( at least stores that sell alot of them) in a bigger box with better padding for the drives. It is only when they are "repacked" into smaller lots for shipping that gets removed. Your local BubbaGump small volume PC parts store might be getting them newegg and it is no different.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.