Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shinonome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
So my 85W Magsafe "T" charger recently broke (the plastic on the wire near the charger block melted and it must have done something to the connection), and I'm looking to buy a relatively cheap 85W Charger (under 50 dollars including shipping). I've found several used on Amazon, from sellers that seem to have very high ratings, but I don't know whether I should order one or not. The last thing I want is for it to come and the charger to be defective and/or not work at all, or even worse, cause an electrical fire and burn down my house. However, I'm not keen on shelling out 80-ish dollars for one directly from Apple unless that's my only option. Does anyone have experience buying used chargers from Amazon, or can provide some wisdom regarding this issue? Thank you very much.

Shinonome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
I prefer the T shaped ones more, and after a little investigation on the website you recommended, I found some 85W T chargers, but in *Repaired* condition. I can order them, but I need to know if it's safe to do so without causing any problems.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
You may want to try a more reputable seller, such as OWC. Here's a link to an 85W adapter. Even comes with warranty. It's not that much more expensive.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MC556LLA
OWC is total crap. They import cheap generic products from china (ie- not high quality) and mark them up to insanely high prices. I don't know why mac fans like them, they gouge on RAM prices, and charge 100 dollars for a 5 dollar piece of plastic (the DataDoubler)

Stay away from OWC. They are a money-making machine that feeds off the nieve, those who believe that they offer a better product than others.

To OP-

take your charger into an apple store's genius bar. They may replace it. If not, it's policy to let you buy a new adapter for 30% off if you bring in a broken one.

Shinonome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
OWC is total crap. They import cheap generic products from china (ie- not high quality) and mark them up to insanely high prices. I don't know why mac fans like them, they gouge on RAM prices, and charge 100 dollars for a 5 dollar piece of plastic (the DataDoubler)

Stay away from OWC. They are a money-making machine that feeds off the nieve, those who believe that they offer a better product than others.

To OP-

take your charger into an apple store's genius bar. They may replace it. If not, it's policy to let you buy a new adapter for 30% off if you bring in a broken one.

Alright. I generally don't trust hose kind of online sites, so thanks for letting me know about that. I probably wont't buy from them, better safe than sorry. I'll bring it to an Apple store and see if I can at least get a discount on a new one. Thanks.
If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.

xnatex

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
I prefer the T shaped ones more, and after a little investigation on the website you recommended, I found some 85W T chargers, but in *Repaired* condition. I can order them, but I need to know if it's safe to do so without causing any problems.

You don't want a T. The L was designed to be better than the T because of a design flaw in the cable. If you get another T, it will just break again.

"Long-standing issues with fraying on those cables resulted in Apple redesigning the MagSafe several years to adopt an "L" style connector that puts less strain on the cable."

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/08/settlement-reached-in-lawsuit-over-frayed-magsafe-connectors/

--Edit--
Also, others may have different opinions, but knowing that its an 85W adapter means that it's a 15" MacBook Pro. With that being said, what's an extra $30 to buy an Apple certified one that you KNOW won't ruin your $2,000+ investment vs buying some cheaply made $50 one that could have bad components in it that could fray even easier or even put out bad power and slowly destroy the laptop?

A power cord like this is something I wouldn't cheap out on as much as spending $80 for a cord sucks.

Last edited:

Shinonome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks for the advice, I have one last question. The laptop I'm buying this for is a 2007 Macbook Pro, Model A1226, will the new MagSafe 85W Chargers work without any problems on it?
Thanks.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
In general, any mag-safe charger will charge any mag-safe mac. We regularly mix/match between 15-in MBP and 13-in MBA and MBP. (Note that you can't *run* a 15-inch MBP with a 45W charger, but it will charge.) No problem with an 85W charger on any mag-safe device.

From personal experience, I take great exception to the remarks regarding OWC. I have purchased many items from them, recommended them to many, and never had anything but good service. You can sometimes buy items elsewhere for less, but not get the same service. Not affiliated with them in any way -- just years of being a happy customer.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I purchased a 85W T charger from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $34 - works great - 100% legit. This is just my very very small experience.

Shinonome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
I purchased a 85W T charger from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $34 - works great - 100% legit. This is just my very very small experience.

Thanks, but I've decided to go to an Apple store and see if I can get a new one for free, or a discount on one.
Better safe than sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.