Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taenzerme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Bonn, Germany
Aaaaand another one:

My cousin spilled coffee (with much sugar and milk, so basically the worst combination) on his mum's '09 MBA. It went over the right side of the keyboard. He flipped the MBA within seconds so most of it ran out again. He switched off the MBA instantly, opened it within minutes and disconnected the battery cable (fortunately he had tools and a bit of knowledge at hand)

I'm quite familiar with fluid damages on Macbooks and have opened and repaired like 5 or 6 in the past by replacing the logic board or other parts with a used one myself. That to say, I'm a webdesigner and not a real repair technician with detailed background knowledge about circuits and stuff. Still, when opening stuff like this I use my own work place with anti static mats and anti static gloves, so I don't do more damage.

I completely disassembled the MBA and had a good look at all parts. In this case it must have been not much fluid because the keys were almost dry again and no fluid had gotten to the logic board and other parts. Everything except the keyboard inside was completely dry.

We let it dry for 2 days now and it's booting normally - except keys are behaving weird and seem to send random presses. It turns on the first time, but when I shut it down again it turns off normally. Then I can't turn it on again.

When I disconnect/reconnect the battery AND the touchpad/keyboard connector it turns on again after that.

My question(s):

Is it technically possible that water in the keyboard area can damage the logic board and other parts through the connector cable? So if short circuit happens in the keyboard can this get through to other parts even though no fluid came out and actually hit the logic board etc.?

Is it worth a try to replace the top cover/keyboard or could this come from other damage, too?

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Not sure how much the keyboard assembly would cost but it may be worth a shot to replace that and then see what happens. Your post indicates that the logic board was ok, which is great news, as i'm sure the logic board and the display would be the 2 most important parts to replace/repair

Also, a trip to the Apple store would allow them to run a diagnostic on your machine which could provide further insight into your problem before you spend money on parts.

Keep us updated and good luck.

taenzerme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Bonn, Germany
You can replace only the keyboard. On a Mid 2009 model, the keyboard is screwed to the top case, using a + screw driver and unscrew all the screws. Easily saves you $100

But what if the touchpad is acting strange, too? AFAIK the touchpad and controller can't be replaced easily as it's adjusted to the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.