Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I remember when the iPad 4 came out, all of the 3 owners went stir crazy. Now fast forward a few months and those that withstood the temptation to upgrade are in a great position. We can look forward to the iPad 5 which will be a complete redesign. Not only that but our iPad still works great with the A5X processor.

Around this time we would be faced with selling our current iPad for the newest one, but since the iPad 4 release delayed the schedule, we can maximize our use with the 3 for longer than the usual 1 year cycle.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Never was really feeling the need to 'scratch that itch' to get the ipad 4 when we heard it was coming out last year (especially when I only had my ipad 3 for a short time period :rolleyes: ) but I'm glad to hear though that i'm really not missing out on anything. lol Though I'm one of those folks who don't refresh devices but every 2-4 years depending on the device. That way I get full use of my current devices and will find myself extremely pleased with the advancements when I do get the 'latest'.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Never really saw the point in upgrading from the 3. No new features.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Never really saw the point in upgrading from the 3. No new features.

No new features ? Really ?

1. Ultrafast wireless (Improved over ipad 3)
The new Wi-Fi technology built into the iPad 4 can also provide a significant speed increase. The dual-band capability, which accepts 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11n signals, allows for "theoretical" download speeds up to 150 Mbps.

2. A6X chip (Improved over ipad 3)
The biggest difference between the iPad 3 and iPad 4 is a processor that produces twice the speed both with graphics and pure processing power

3. Better camera

4. Lightning connector

Not enough to upgrade for ipad 3 to the 4, but it does have some new features

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
yeah i'm one of those guys who has purchased almost every idevice on launch day including the first 3 iPads..and even i didn't bother getting the 4

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I spent a pretty penny on my iPad 3. I doubt I will be upgrading one year later, especially since the resale value would be much lower now. :(

emptysoul

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
I bought a 16GB 4 as my first dip into the iPad world (quickly transformed from a cynic to a fan). My only regret now is not going for a higher capacity for travelling with.

I now plan on getting a 64 or 128GB 5 when it comes out.

OSxiPro

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
UK
I upgraded from a 3 to a 4 because 16gb wasn't enough space - but I have to admit I do like the 4 a hell of a lot more than the 3 when it comes to some games and apps like photoshop.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
No new features ? Really ?

1. Ultrafast wireless (Improved over ipad 3)
The new Wi-Fi technology built into the iPad 4 can also provide a significant speed increase. The dual-band capability, which accepts 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11n signals, allows for "theoretical" download speeds up to 150 Mbps.

Most people dont even have the ability to use that type of speed.

2. A6X chip (Improved over ipad 3)
The biggest difference between the iPad 3 and iPad 4 is a processor that produces twice the speed both with graphics and pure processing power
Besides some graphical intense games, the A5X is still good. The differences aren't noticeable to regular people.

3. Better camera
How many people actually FaceTime? It wasn't even the back camera.

4. Lightning connector
And then you have to spend more money buying Lightning cables.

Not enough to upgrade for ipad 3 to the 4, but it does have some new features[/QUOTE]

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I'm actually really glad that the iPad 4th Generation came out. I've still been using an iPad 1st Generation until today. Brandsmart had a few iPad 3rd Generation 64 GB - AT&T models for $599 each. Sure beat the $829 that I was going to pay.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I am just glad the 4 was already out when i made my first ipad purchase...i would have been ticked if i had bought a 3 and the 4 came out a couple months later....

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I was really tempted to upgrade from my 3 to a 4, but after seeing the performance side by side with my own eyes, I could see there was hardly any difference in day-to-day performance of the things that I do the most. In the end, I kept to my rule of skipping the pure spec upgrades and waiting for something really different before I make the effort to upgrade.

Now that the 5 is around the corner, and it has the slimmed down look of the mini as we are anticipating, I'm going to feel a lot better about the upgrade from a 3 to a 5.

So yes, I'm very happy with my decision!

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Why are you taking a jab at the iPad 4?

Why not just post, "Who here is happy with their iPad 3?"

I feel like every iOS owner is only capable of pride in spite or contrast. It's not enough for the iPhone to be the best phone you've used. It has to be 'better' than the Galaxy S3. Now we have to diminish other purchases?

You know, the iPad 5 is likely to not drop until September.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
yeah i'm one of those guys who has purchased almost every idevice on launch day including the first 3 iPads..and even i didn't bother getting the 4

I do the same but planned on skipping the four. That changed when the screen cracked on my iPad 3. It was an accident. Stuff happens :)

The four is nice, plus I have the excellent new ZAGG PROplus keyboard. Made from aluminum that matches perfectly, it's backlit and works superbly. I've tried a few others including last years ZAGG Folio, but the PROplus is truly exceptional.

Actually that's the reason I ordered one. I read a fantastic review rating it as the best... And indeed it is. I will use this combo for two years, then decide if the new model at that time interests me.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
The ipad 2 is still a stellar functioning product. As time passes and new products are released, you feel better about not spending money on new technology since it is now outdated. It's a psychological condition. For me the ipad 3 was good mix between great display and price. The ipad 4 is so just so much faster for me but I don't need justification for my purchases. I buy I enjoy - why look back? Seems pointless over plastics and transistors. "I'm so happy I didn't upgrade from 3 to 4. The 5 is coming out soon. I made a great choice in life" :rolleyes:

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
The wifes iPad2 is still going strong and will get updated by the end of this year and my iPad3 will at least see me through until mid 2014.
I'm not even compelled to move from the 2 to the 4 (wife is still happy with her 2)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i hold a 2 and not thinking about upgrading for like another 6 month or so (till warranty run out)

3 gets really hot when using for a long time and i believe there is still a thread going on about how Ipad 4 screen is inferior to 3. whether it has to do with LG manufacturing it instead of SS or not. I dont see any reason to get excited about post-Jobs era Apple product anymore. It is either thinner or lighter. No innovation.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I got the iPad 4 just 2-3 weeks ago, I do not really see how someone like me cannot just sell the 4 and get the 5 when it is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.