Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Citigroup's recent claim that Apple would miss its own Q1/Q2 revenue forecasts has been lent weight by Topeka Capital's Apple Monitor reporting that key Apple suppliers had a "terrible" February (via Business Insider).

apple_product_lineup.jpg
The monitor, which tracks the results of Apple's key suppliers, is compiled by Topeka Capital's Brian White, an analyst normally bullish on Apple.
When [supplier] results are good, it usually means good things for Apple. When the results are bad, watch out.

White says the February results for his Apple Monitor were down 31 percent sequentially, which compares to the typical 8 percent decline. Even if you factor in the Chinese New Year, he still says it's bad.
The Chinese New Year tends to result in significantly reduced production, but White calculates that factoring that in still results on a fall in production of 15%, amounting to "the worst February we have on record." White goes on to observe that most of the preliminary Taiwan monitors show weak results, suggesting that the slowdown is affecting the whole industry, though Apple's supply chain figures appear worse than most.

Last month, research firm NPD revealed surprisingly strong Mac and iPod sales in the U.S. for the month of January, but with those product families accounting for smaller and smaller proportions of Apple's revenue, iPhone and iPad sales have become the primary drivers of Apple's performance.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has cautioned against reading too much into supply chain reports, noting that the company has multiple sources for many components and that yield rates may vary over time, but Topeka's Apple Monitor attempts to take some of those fluctuations into account by taking a broader view spanning a number of companies within Apple's supply chain.

Article Link: Supply Chain Indicators Point to Poor February for Apple

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
Wall Street has decided they're done with Apple and are now doing whatever they can to tear it all the way down to the ground. Good reason to just stop listening to them unless you own the stock, which I don't.

gombach

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
I'll do my part

If and when Apple offers-up a respectable, contemporary version of the Mac PRO, I'll make my contributions to their bottom line.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
The Guardian newspaper (UK) had a great article this weekend explaining why Apple are in decline. There stock is down 40% in 6 months and they are not doing anything new or innovative that has the wow factor in recent years. They are not disappearing anytime soon but they are losing brand loyalty as people do want quality but also something new. If you have stock I would be tempted to ditch it! Buy it again when its at its lowest as im sure Apple will bounce back in years to come.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The Guardian newspaper (UK) had a great article this weekend explaining why Apple are in decline. There stock is down 40% in 6 months and they are not doing anything new or innovative that has the wow factor in recent years. They are not disappearing anytime soon but they are losing brand loyalty as people do want quality but also something new. If you have stock I would be tempted to ditch it! Buy it again when its at its lowest as im sure Apple will bounce back in years to come.

Define "recent years" please.

Builddesign

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Forecasts are a joke. Keep calm and carry on.

Waiting for my black retina air with no bezel!

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent

When was the ipad launched? What have they done new and wow since I think they said. They update and make things lighter, shinier or more effective on product lines that have now been around some years. Apart for the Ipad whats new in the last few years?

Oh and dont shoot the messenger ok!

Ceviche Lover

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2012
goodbye apple, hello samsung. this is what happens when you sit on your ass and let competitors catch up to you.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
For the past two or three years, Android has been moving rapidly and iOS has been standing still.

iOS had been sheltered by two things:
1 - They started way ahead of Android.
2 - Android devices tend to be updated more slowly (IE, Android devices tend to be running years old OS versions whereas iOS devices tend to be running OS versions within a few days of release.)

It was inevitable though, Android has blown right past iOS. Apple has the ability to move forward very quickly - if iOS 7 blows away Android 4, then Apple will be in the lead for awhile because all iOS devices will jump to iOS 7 instantly whereas even if Android 5 is much better, most devices wouldn't be running it for months, so iOS 7 need only beat Android 4 - if iOS 7 blows away Android 4, Apple can handily retake the lead and their stock will reverse course.

Doesn't Apple normally demonstrate the next OS X or iOS version to developers in Spring? We're half way through March and I still haven't seen any invitation...

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
When was the ipad launched? What have they done new and wow since I think they said. They update and make things lighter, shinier or more effective on product lines that have now been around some years. Apart for the Ipad whats new in the last few years?

iPod 2.001
iPhone 2.007
iPad 2.010

People have short memories regarding timeframes.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Just waiting for the iTV and the iWatch... Waiting for something new.

Impress me, Apple.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

The last few years ? The iPad came out 2010. I wouldn't call that "recent years"

What have they done in 3 years ? You be the judge between the iPad 1 in 2010 and the iPad Mini in 2012.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007

iTunes ping, but that was such a big failure, that no one remembers it.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
goodbye apple, hello samsung. this is what happens when you sit on your ass and let competitors catch up to you.

I know, right? Apple should get it together, I hear that the GSIII was "designed for humans" which is much more innovative than the previous version which was apparently designed for cats.

:)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

What is all this new and innovative stuff others are doing? And it hasn't been even 2 years since Steve died. What exactly do these people think Apple should have done the last 1.5 years? I suppose they could have released a 5" phone to wow the tech press and Wall Street but not sure what exactly is innovative about a larger screen. One could argue Microsoft was "innovative" with Windows 8 but the customer response seems to be quite muted. So why would Apple add touch screen to the macs when it's not taking off in the PC market? Again, I'd love to know exactly what innovation the Guardian thinks Apple should be doing that its not right now. Or are they just parroting the broader theme in the media echo chamber these days.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Wall Street has decided they're done with Apple and are now doing whatever they can to tear it all the way down to the ground. Good reason to just stop listening to them unless you own the stock, which I don't.

Agreed.

I am sure by now you have seen the below posts, but just in case, see:

iPod 2.001
iPhone 2.007
iPad 2.010

People have short memories regarding timeframes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.