Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filo8818

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Hi everybody, first of all i wanna say congrats for the amazing forum that im following since years.
I write here cause i really wanna solve a problem on my mum's mac and apparently i didn't find anywhere else the solution.

She has i cloud contacts activated on mac, iPhone and iPad. She used to have also Microsoft exchange (to use Hotmail on Iphone) but now i remove it and i moved all the contacts just on icloud.

The problem is: when you send an email from the native Mail app using mac i don't know why but the contact name change (on all the device) and in front of the name appear the mail address.

For example: if i send an email to John Smith, the contact name automatically change in John Smith johnsmith@gmail.com

this happen just if you use the Mac to send email, cause from Iphone and Ipad is working great.

hope someone can help me with this cause is really annoying.

Thanks in advance.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I am not sure I understand what you are saying, what field(s) changes in contacts when you create an email and to what - an example of before and after you create an email. In Contacts there are separate fields for first name and last name, and email address.

If you enter an email address in Mail in the To or Cc fields and that email address is in the address book (contacts) then Mail will replace the name in To/Cc field with the persons name ( First Name Last Name), however Mail will still send it to the correct email address. It is Mail's way of confirming that the email address is correct and it recognises it in the address book (contacts). If the email address is not in your Address Book (Contacts) then mail will leave the email address unchanged.

filo8818

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
ok, im sorry if i exposed the problem in the wrong way.
what basically is happening is:
when i send an email from the mail app of the mac typing the name of the receiver the contact name on my address book (iphone, ipad, icloud address book..) is changing automatically and it double the name of the person.

Like i get John Smith John Smith. both listed as name.

what it can be??
thanks

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
ok, im sorry if i exposed the problem in the wrong way.
what basically is happening is:
when i send an email from the mail app of the mac typing the name of the receiver the contact name on my address book (iphone, ipad, icloud address book..) is changing automatically and it double the name of the person.

Like i get John Smith John Smith. both listed as name.

what it can be??
thanks

Just to make sure I understand what you are saying, when you type the name of someone in the To field in a new email. Say John Smith. The entry in your address book changes to John Smith John Smith ? Which field in the address book is changed as the Address book has separate fields for first name and surname. Are both the first name and the surname field changed to John Smith, therefore duplicating the name?

So rather than

First Name = John
Surname = Smith

You have

First Name = John Smith
Surname = John Smith

?

filo8818

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Exactly!! I get this problem. Is not duplicating all the contact but is just adding name ans surname again....
Any ideas about it?
Thanks

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Sorry, I am still trying to get to the specific issue you are having. Are you getting two first names and two surnames in the same address book contact or are you getting two seperate address book contacts both with the same name?

filo8818

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
maybe i find a solution, but i have to try it later on today in the office.
Maybe the contacts sync for the Hotmail account is still on, so the system automatically change the contacts using hotmail and this change appear (thanks to iCloud) also on all the other devices.

i ll let you know if this is the solution....
until now thanks for the intrest...:)

filo8818

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Ok im here in front of the mac, i deleted the hotmail account totally from the computer ( so no mail and nothing about it) actually now the mac act like this:
Here i have the contact page:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363359733.502342.jpg

Then i go to mail, i type Filippo and as u can see there is A Filippo Filippo:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363359819.085239.jpg

Then i press send and in the contact i have this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363359913.135554.jpg

How i can fix it????

Thanks a lot!!

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
This is a know issue with gmail accounts where you have not entered a surname (cognome) field in the Mac Address Book (Contacts). It will enter the first name again in the Surname field. To fix, in Mail go into Window > Previous Recipients and clear all problem recipients in the pop up window.

filo8818

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
This is a know issue with gmail accounts where you have not entered a surname (cognome) field in the Mac Address Book (Contacts). It will enter the first name again in the Surname field. To fix, in Mail go into Window > Previous Recipients and clear all problem recipients in the pop up window.

Ohh i didnt know that was a know issue :confused:

So i ll try asap what you told me. But this solution is definitive? thanks again for all the support

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Ohh i didnt know that was a know issue :confused:

So i ll try asap what you told me. But this solution is definitive? thanks again for all the support

Sorry typo should read 'known issue', but i think you understood. Yes, this is a known fix to the problem.

filo8818

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
ya ya i get, it just seems strange cause i google it all around and i dint find nothing. Thanks god you help cause i was thinking something is wrong with my setting or my icloud.

Well thanks again so much!

filo8818

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
but if i clear all in the pop up window is a problem? cause i have more than 450 contacts, but it ll not create it back???

filo8818

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Ya i test it.
You r right if i clear the recent list after 2 email i send i get the same issue.
So i guess only way is to fix one by one all my contacts.
I have to split name and surname.
The issue started cause this are old old old Nokia imported contact, the pass trough nokia, blackberry, samsung and now iphone.
For sure during some passage the name and surname end in the same field.
Thanks again for all the support u gave me.

Filippo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.