Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
If I had any desire to use windows, I'd be doing it on a mac. How could you not want the awesome hardware with the ability to run either OS other than to save a few $? I used to use dual boot for some games or programs, haven't done so in years. OS X has done everything I want lately, but I have VMware with XP waiting on the sideline just in case...

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
I agree. It would even out the playing field and strictly compare the hardware of all the machines.

If they wanted to compare the software, then they need to get identical machines (say, multiple rMBPs with the same specs) and have one run OS X and the other run Windows 8.

As is, this "scientific" test is a bit... lacking in its scientific rigidity.

A PC review place isn't going to go to that effort. It's been done by Mac fans. The results are always really bad for PC OEMS. In general Macs Running Windows with APPLE-MADE drivers still do slightly better than the PC guys across the board. It's still true when you carefully line up same clock speeds, ram, etc... Even if only a tiny bit sometimes.

That's just a little bit insulting when PC OEMS who's ONLY JOB is to run Windows get beat by Apple with the same hardware. PC reviewers don't keep sponsors very long pointing that out.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I would like to see the results after 100-300 cycles, see where they all are, might even see a bigger gap than the above results.

This! My 13" MBP (Early 2011) still has 89% capacity after 574 full cycles and routinely gets ~5 hrs on light browsing. Guess what HP's batteries have after 500 cycles - 5 min of battery life, a red "x", and "please replace battery".

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Was Windows 8 also running on the MBP during the testing? I haven't read the Which? article, but I'm assuming they did run Win 8 on the MBP for testing purposes. If that's the case then kudos for Apple. My old HP laptop at work gets 3 hours max. running XP =P. It's one of those old models that still has a 3.5" disk drive as well as a DVD drive (not burner).

zhenlek

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
My 2010 MacBook Pro gets *pathetic* battery life if the GeForce card kicks in - which is ALL THE TIME.

I tried using gfxCardStatus to disable it, but it just causes some things to crash.

My battery has 91% life (6308 mAh of 6900 mAh), but I still only get around 2 Hours of battery on a full charge.

dude...time to change a new battery...

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
If I had any desire to use windows, I'd be doing it on a mac. How could you not want the awesome hardware with the ability to run either OS other than to save a few $? I used to use dual boot for some games or programs, haven't done so in years. OS X has done everything I want lately, but I have VMware with XP waiting on the sideline just in case...

Yeah, I think I would do this too.

I've been shopping around for Windows 8 touchscreen laptop/tablet hybrids (like the Lenovo Yoga 13, Dell XPS 12, or even the Surface Pro). I'm still on the fence. One option I am keeping on the table is to buy a MacBook Air and install Windows on it as a dual-boot. I'd lose the touchscreen, though, which is a lot of the appeal of Windows 8.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
I agree. It would even out the playing field and strictly compare the hardware of all the machines.

If they wanted to compare the software, then they need to get identical machines (say, multiple rMBPs with the same specs) and have one run OS X and the other run Windows 8.

As is, this "scientific" test is a bit... lacking in its scientific rigidity.

What's wrong with testing the machines in the configuration they will be used in.

raazman

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
The new Samsung Series 7 Chronos is getting around 10.5 hours. It certainly more than what my current mpb can do.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
This data.....

makes a good case for Apple laptops. Even the people arguing Apple hardware as expensive will see the comfort and advantages of better battery life.

:):apple:

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Is it because Mountain Lion is 'leaner' overall than Windows 8 or just has better power saving algorithms?

It's probably because of all the metro live tile thingies reaching out to the internet to get updates. When I get to the Windows 8 desktop, the drive goes nuts for a while from all the data that is being pulled in to update various apps.

----------

Speed is one reason. Also, if most of your work is in Windows an you're a laptop user, booting to OSX first and then booting into Windows takes some time.

Andreasen

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2013
Denmark
Very nice Apple!!! and lol Windows 8 125! Even though i hope we see allot better batteries soon, because over time even a Macs battery getting worse.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Yeah, I think I would do this too.

I've been shopping around for Windows 8 touchscreen laptop/tablet hybrids (like the Lenovo Yoga 13, Dell XPS 12, or even the Surface Pro). I'm still on the fence. One option I am keeping on the table is to buy a MacBook Air and install Windows on it as a dual-boot. I'd lose the touchscreen, though, which is a lot of the appeal of Windows 8.

I have a rMBP, and smudges on the screen annoy me, they still manage to get there without a touchscreen, I can't imagine how crazy I would go if I touched it on purpose. I am not sold on touchscreen on a laptop, but that's just me. I would not consider that a loss. I see the touch on windows 8 more as lipstick on a pig.

Maybe if you're lucky apple will update the macbook air to retina before you buy making your choice easier.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I have a 2007 17" MacBook Pro and a 2012 15" rMBP.

The 17" one is dead in about 2 hours.

It's not because OS 10.8 is better than 10.6, it's because of the chips and the screen and the rest of the hardware.

Apple probably chooses the most efficient components while PC OEMs are probably looking for a less expensive alternative which results in less efficient components.

hallam

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
it says...
Also there arent any Windows 8 Bootcamp drivers and i doubt you can install Windows 8 on a ChromeBook

I am running Windows 8 on this MacBook Retina 15" right now.

The comparison would be interesting but not conclusive as there is also the issue of tuning of the machine to the O/S.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003

All that would prove is that OS X and the device drivers are better optimised for Apple's hardware than Windows 8 and the bootcamp drivers.

I fail to see how we learn anything from that at all.

Renzatic

Suspended
The weirdest thing I find from all this is the damn Acer has the best battery life of the bunch.

Things might've changed over the years, but I always think of them as the low budget, throw-away alternative for those who don't really care or need much from their computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.