Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Or, you could get coverage from Worth Avenue Group - which includes theft. AppleCare+ doesn't.

http://www.worthavegroup.com/

Yes but they also go after fraudulent claims. If you get the Worth Ave coverage and you claim "theft", they will need to see a police report, and proof (I assume photographic) of your car or home having been broken into. You can't just say "oh, I left it on the train and someone took it".

So yeah, if you want to smash your car's window and stage a theft, go for it, but you'll be looking over your shoulder plus having to shell out to repair the stuff you broke to make it look like theft.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yes but they also go after fraudulent claims. If you get the Worth Ave coverage and you claim "theft", they will need to see a police report, and proof (I assume photographic) of your car or home having been broken into. You can't just say "oh, I left it on the train and someone took it".

So yeah, if you want to smash your car's window and stage a theft, go for it, but you'll be looking over your shoulder plus having to shell out to repair the stuff you broke to make it look like theft.

Who said anything about making fraudulent claims? OP asked about insurance against *future* accidents. He's prepared to pay out of warranty repair fee to replace his current broken iPad.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816

Why would you accuse the OP of making a fraudulent claim, when he clearly stated he would have it repaired and then obtain insurance?

Read the entire thread before making such assumptions.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Why would you accuse the OP of making a fraudulent claim, when he clearly stated he would have it repaired and then obtain insurance?

Read the entire thread before making such assumptions.

Read my post before making assumptions as well. Where did I accuse the OP of wanting to commit fraud?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Read my post before making assumptions as well. Where did I accuse the OP of wanting to commit fraud?

Ok, you didn't accuse anyone directly, but I don't understand why you felt it necessary to post a warning against commiting fraud. Nobody in this thread suggested anything related to fraud until you brought it up.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Your post speaks for itself and while perhaps not a direct accusation, the insinuation is quite clear.

Why warn anyone about insurance fraud unless you perceive it may be committed?

Please. It was a general warning to everyone. Like warning people to wear their seatbelts.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It could be coverd on house insurance, check with your agent.

Usually homeowner's insurance has a $500 deductible. You can get a personal articles policy rider with a lower deductible, but that's at additional cost. I actually have a personal articles policy for my Mac, but that's a bigger purchase than an iPad. That said, the policy came in handy 3 months ago when I lost my MacBook Air. I now have a 13" rMBP.

mytwomiracles

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
so you've probably guessed it... ive broke my iPad!

is there any way for me to get it repaired or replaced without paying the full price? It was a gift and I didnt get AppleCare.

Do you know when your iPad was bought before given to you as a gift? If it's less than 90 days from the day you broke it, do you know whether it was bought with Amex or not?

If your iPad was bought with Amex within 3 months, it will be eligible under purchase protection benefit of Amex.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Man that sucks. I never leave my iPad on the floor because all of my devices are OoW. Definitely not leaving anything on the floor. That's for sure.

djn4eva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Hey OP, any updates?

For now I'm using it as is since the display isn't distorted and it's fully functional. I just hate that's it's cracked. It'll probably be around the end of te month before I do anything.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Note to self: Do not put iPad on floor :eek:

Note to self: If I do end up placing my iPad on the floor then by no means place a chair leg on top of it.

And, if I do place my iPad on the floor and follow up that with placing a chair leg on top of it, then certainly do not even think about sitting in said chair.

MAvery

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2012
It was totally my fault! I sat it on the floor beside me during dinner. Only this time my chair was a lil too close and ended up on top of it. Next thing u know.... CRACK!! a major FAIL for me.

Oh my god :( That is heartbreaking..

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Why not claim on your insurance:cool:
Never make a claim on your homeowners insurance if you don't have to.

One time a power surge fried my Sony TV during a storm. I made an insurance claim with State Farm. They paid the claim, but soon after cancelled my policy.

I was left scrambling to find a replacement policy. All these insurance companies check a data base at LexisNexis where State Farm had entered derogatory information about me because of that one claim. I was finally able to get some no name insurance coverage at a greatly inflated price. If you have a mortgage you are required to have insurance.

These insurance companies are a racket.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Only Replaced Phone Under Warranty

how much do u think I could sell it for as is?

Dude Sorry to hear that it must be one of the life moments where you really realize you screwed up. I would think that if Apple honored the out of warranty replacement they would want the broken iPad. When my iPhone broke, they exchanged it and took the broken one, but again that was under warranty so I could be mistaken.

djn4eva

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Note to self: If I do end up placing my iPad on the floor then by no means place a chair leg on top of it.

And, if I do place my iPad on the floor and follow up that with placing a chair leg on top of it, then certainly do not even think about sitting in said chair.

Ha ill try to remember that :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.