Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdavis89

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
I sat my wife down to watch the new Microsoft Surface commercials (with the people dancing, etc) and the new Apple commercials for the iPads. She is not some techno geek or anything, pretty much the typical woman consumer. She's educated, a college graduate with an accounting degree and future CPA. We have a windows PC, a Macbook Air, she has the iPhone 4S, I have the Nexus 4.

She thought the Surface commercial was cool, but had no idea what it was for. She thought the iPad commercial was boring. Ultimately if she was in the market, she would look into the Surface because it looked versatile. Just my two cents, I thought it was interesting.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
These new commercials are kinda "meh". It almost feels like they are not sure how to market the iPhone 5 anymore.

I wish they would do something kinda retro like the way mcdonalds is doing for the big mac commercials. Those commercials take a current product and mesh it with its history

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Apple please stop.

They fired that HR guy for performing badly, can they do the same for their current advertising guy?

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Yeah - that is all cool smartphone-type stuff.

But why should I choose the iPhone instead of a regular Android phone?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
as always.....let's roll out the Apple Bashing..........

Don't worry, there are plenty of people that will go into Defence mode for Apple, without even questioning why they are doing it ;) balance restored on MR. Nothing to see here, move along......

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
All in all, these are great ads. People who are attacking them are just stricken by nostalgia. Everything old is always considered better because it becomes a 'classic'. Give these time to sink in, wait a few months or years, and you'll view them in the same way. Aside from a few misses (like the celebrity Siri commercials last year) Apple's advertising is as good as ever.

I wasn't a fan at first, but these ads are growing on me.

However, I do think that Apple needs to switch up their approach because this is just a variation of older iPad commercials. They need to find a more effective way to communicate their key strengths, like security, higher quality app selection, the multitude of iPhone/iPad-only accessories, etc.

The problem with showing a dozen apps in 60 seconds is that most people think those apps are available on Android as well, thanks to clueless and lazy bloggers and journalists who simply write about the number of apps on each platform.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Better than the previous ones (the app demos) but overall theme is still obnoxious.

While they lack the sophistication of some previous campaigns they are very effective none the less. They are crisp, punchy and consistently demonstrate a wide range of capabilities. You will perk up when you hear the ad and take notice. Like a catchy song on the radio these ads build recognition and equity with each viewing taking ownership of the look, styling and sound.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Yeah - that is all cool smartphone-type stuff.

But why should I choose the iPhone instead of a regular Android phone?

Apple has not advertised like this for the iPhone and personally, don't think they have to. Most consumers don't know or care about the differences unless you're a geeky type that's looking for something specific... which is not most people.

BTW... I don't care for these current ads at all... I like the previous set much better. But, I do think these are better than the ridiculous Samsung commercials lately where a bunch of 20 something people are all collaborating as if they're working on something of value with their phones. Those types of commercials are even a bigger waste of air time.

If Apple was to tout something over the Android crowd, they should pitch quality and service. The iPhone is a well build phone and no one else has physical company stores you can visit for tech support and help. The Android makers all rely on the phone companies to service their phones.

----------

The best Apple ad for me, of all time. (Well, maybe right there with 1984 ad) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Rx4N9_Wik

Agreed... i like the feel of these ads. Wish they'd bring them back.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Don't really understand the hate. I mean, they're not brilliant, sure, but Apple did worse. To be honest, the only Apple ads I found 'brilliant' were iPod ads anyway. The rest was just meh.

Good Advertising isn't about creating an ad spot that's pretty to look at, euphoniously brilliant with pleasant demeanor. They are to get you to remember them and this thread even talking negatively about them is mission accomplished.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Right, and because it's obnoxious you're talking about it, which is the point of good advertising. If something was forgettable you wouldn't even mention it. :cool:
Thing is I'm not going to buy it for even mention it to others. I can't even remember what word they used.

I sill remember the iPad 2 ad which was "there's never been a better time to learn".

ayala421

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2010
Cool Looking App

For anyone else who is interested, this is the iPhoto app

Attachments

• iPhoto.jpg
    iPhoto.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 65

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Thing is I'm not going to buy it for even mention it to others. I can't even remember what word they used.

I sill remember the iPad 2 ad which was "there's never been a better time to learn".

LOL, you're missing the point entirely. Apple doesn't need your word of mouth anymore. Mac, iPad, iPhone and iPod are all household names and anybody's great grandmother with one foot in the grave knows these names are connected to Apple. These ads are only to get people into thinking that there's something new at the Apple store, come by and see. People that don't keep up with the latest will attract to these ads.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I think these adds are about trying to convince non smartphone owners to get an iPhone. I'm not sure how big that market is, but there are still some folks in the US where this add is running. Now folks who already own a smartphone will already know the iPhone and they will probably make their buy/not buy decision more based on their experience with iPhones (their own or friends) and other smartphones. I'm not sure if Apple adds will help bring back Android users, for example.

nekonari

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Washington, DC
I prefer Think Different as an ad, but I do agree that your choice focuses well on a product rather than a brand.

Hmm, I maybe confused, but I thought it was actually focusing on their brand rather than a product--iPad. As they say, they want to take technology out of whatever you're doing. This comes to me as their belief that when you don't think about what and how to use a piece of technology to do whatever you want to do, it'll create a seamless and more delightful experience--a notion I completely agree with.

PastFuture

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Germany
I actually enjoy the ads. The beat couple with the shouts in between somehow reminds me of Sesame Street, which is not a bad thing. It's reminiscent of curiosity for exploring the world, having fun and learning new things.

I also think that some of the clips are quite cleverly matched with the clips of the apps.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
As such, shouldn't Apple be concentrating on getting their product lines in order; which are staid and boring and have fallen way behind competitor offerings.

says you. but you aren't likely the target audience anyway. No one that hangs out on a site like this is likely the target audience for 99% of what Apple does.

Common folks might not agree with your opinion that the products are staid, boring etc. They might like that there's little major change because then they don't have to relearn everything every time.

And there are probably enough common folks buying their first iPhone, iPad, whatever that Apple isn't really going to be worried about you running off to get something else.

----------

Tim Cook should get out more. It would help the brand (and perception).

Or it would be bashed as Tim Cook trying to copy Steve Jobs style when everyone knows that Tim is no Steve Jobs.

Tim is a different person with a different style. Steve knew this and accepted it. He apparently told Tim not to play the WWSJD game but to make Apple his own company. Tim trying to act like Steve just continues this game of making folks think that it's still Steve Jobs' Apple when they need it shoved in their faces that Steve is dead, that era is over. If you can't get over it, get out and buy that damn Galaxy you think is so much better etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.