Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Slightly off topic but Who first invented TVs anyway?

A lot of different people contributed to it. A German guy first patented the idea but it wasn't developed until many years later by a few different companies.

The first commercially available televisions actually came from British companies I believe. Not sure exactly which one sold the first ever commercially available set though.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
A lot of different people contributed to it. A German guy first patented the idea but it wasn't developed until many years later by a few different companies.

The first commercially available televisions actually came from British companies I believe. Not sure exactly which one sold the first ever commercially available set though.

It also boils down to what you regard as a TV, i.e. is it just a physical device or is it the process of watching content sent over radio waves.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Whatever happened to plasma TVs? Don't see many around anymore.

they are actually amazing! they're still around. Actually Plasmas are way better than LCD-LEDs, many would argue. The only advantage LCD-LEDs get is that its brighter and has less power consumption. Plasmas have deeper blacks, and can produce faster images then Leds. Only technology that would beat Plasmas is OLED, which i think some are being released, but then they're very expensive.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I like Samsung. Reason: I have the same 2 since 2007. A 61" LED backlit DLP, and a 40" LCD. Both have given me absolutely no problems and the picture quality is still excellent on both. When it comes time to replace them, Samsung it will be :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.