Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Example?

The area of utility of a particular theory may change, but in general few theories are proven wrong, only enhanced.

For example, Newtonian mechanics isn't wrong, it just applies under most everyday circumstances and other theories apply in other cases like for the very small or the very large. So we know it is incomplete, but that does not make it wrong.

Why are you talking about my French Aunt's bathroom habits? :p

B

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110611143028AACjYp8

Renzatic

Suspended

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

Funny, that "fresh" MSM story relies on a CNN link from 2002, but here's a more recent link from the Chandra X-Ray Observatory:

http://chandra.harvard.edu/press/10_releases/press_041410.html

Two new and independent studies have put Einstein's General Theory of Relativity to the test like never before. These results, made using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory, show Einstein's theory is still the best game in town.

Our current understanding of the laws of physics state you can't accelerate anything faster than the speed of light, but you can move the universe around an object without any physical limitations to maximum achievable speed. This and quantum entanglement make up just a few of relativity's many weird loopholes.

"you can" is a stretch.

"you might be able to if ..." is a better representation of the actual science.

Wikipedia said:
The metric proposed by Alcubierre is mathematically valid in that it is consistent with the Einstein field equations. However, this does not necessarily mean that it is physically meaningful or that such a drive could be constructed. The proposed mechanism implies a negative energy density, and thus requires exotic matter. Although there has never been any evidence that such matter exists, some theoretical models (that depart from the Standard Model) require it to exist.

B

Renzatic

Suspended
"you can" is a stretch.

"you might be able to if ..." is a better representation of the actual science.

Not theoretically impossible would actually be the best way to put.

edit: I'll see if I can dig up the link, but NASA did come out recently claiming that it could FTL speeds could be a possibility within our lifetimes due to a miscalculation in the original theoretical design of the Alcubierre drive.

edit 2: Here you go. Not the original article I read, but close enough.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Man. This again? YOU PEOPLE NEVER LEARN! :mad:

Our current understanding of the laws of physics state you can't accelerate anything faster than the speed of light, but you can move the universe around an object without any physical limitations to maximum achievable speed. This and quantum entanglement make up just a few of relativity's many weird loopholes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ this!

Your argument confirmed! Justified!

Now, if you would demonstrate your understanding of Renzatic's post in your own words.:)

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
People should stop with this kind of mental masturbation, no such thing as telepathy

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I am a psychic...

Ok

Telepathy like having a conversation it is very hard and my work for tiny things.

The way it works is by interpretation. Lets say you see an apple, if is the fruit or the computer you feel different, the sensation when you see or think about the object is unique.

Now, what you transmit is the feeling to the other person and the other person receives a feeling, then that person has to realize what that feeling means.

There are people very sensitive and other that transmit a lot. For example I use to feel a lot of thing and I have to clean my self energy wise. It is like the part in the movie the Matrix when they give the cake to the girl with an special code that made her horny. Well, feelings are like that, vibes that flows.

For example, I met this girl, the relationship was very intense, after a few months I saw her in the street and I touched her and 2 hours later I realized a bunch of lies she told em before, because I managed to understand the energy I got from her. Just like in the movie Artificial Intelligence when the aliens pass their visions one to another when touching each other.

So telepathy works that way.

Now, to achieve more understanding of those messages you have to work with your ego, release the ego, to minimize it.

On the other hand remember you have quantum mechanics, the movement of particles in sub atomic levels. At that level the Newton laws does not applies and the particles works more like waves and they collide with invisible things. And what else works like waves? our brain.

So... if sub atomic particles collides with invisible objects that make us think there is another dimension, if the human mind works in quantum mechanics that means we are affected bu elements from another dimension, what can be called spiritual world. Of course all this is theory but traces of things exists.

That is my brief explanation on what telepathy could be.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
It's in history books....

Name one real history book that actually mentions any such thing.

edit:

Truth or myth? A Patent Office official resigned and recommended that the Patent Office be closed because he thought that everything that could be invented had already been invented.
While that statement makes good fun of predictions that do not come to pass, it is none the less just a myth. Researchers have found no evidence that any official or employee of the U.S. Patent Office had ever resigned because there was nothing left to invent. Just the opposite is true.
A clue to the origin of the myth may be found in Patent Office Commissioner Henry Ellsworth’s 1843 report to Congress. In it he states, “The advancement of the arts, from year to year, taxes our credulity and seems to presage the arrival of that period when human improvement must end.” But Commissioner Ellsworth was simply using a bit of rhetorical flourish to emphasize the growing number of patents as presented in the rest of his report. He even outlined specific areas in which he expected patent activity to increase in the future.
This mythical quote has also been attributed to Charles H. Duell, who held the office of commissioner of patents in 1899. But unlike Ellsworth, who simply may have been misquoted, there is absolutely no basis to support Duell’s alleged statement. Duell, like his predecessor, documented an increase in 1899 of about 3,000 patents over the previous year, and nearly 60 times the number granted in 1837. He further asked the Congress for aid and encouragement in improving the American patent system.

Source: http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/ahrpa/opa/ptotoday/ptotoday12.pdf (page 18)

Last edited:

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
If telepathy is possible, it can be proven by letting one person memorize a list of numbers, then have another person read the very same numbers from the mind of the first one.

I'm inclined to believe that telepathy is possible, although the scientist in me doesn't want me to.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Perhaps it's nicer to say they're simply misinformed?

It's true that we only use certain parts of the brain at a single moment (just like you only use certain parts of your body at a time), but the idea that 90% of our brains are just "dead matter" is a myth. Through the course of a day, you've used just about every square inch of your brain.

This myth is commonly used by psychics as evidence of their powers. Too bad it's not true (just like their powers).

You might provide a link to your claim, you know, qualify it. Simply STATING those with phd's are misinformed without providing any proof of such makes your comment trollish.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
yes.... :eek:

Well the brain works on electric signals, so it could be possible...
No, the neuron signaling does not work with electricity. It works by waves of ions.

----------

You might provide a link to your claim, you know, qualify it. Simply STATING those with phd's are misinformed without providing any proof of such makes your comment trollish.
Turn it around. Find proof of it not being the case. As an easy proof, just look at an MRI scan. Way more than 10% is being used.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I clicked on the thread thinking this would be about technology to read people's thoughts, rather than person to person telepathy, so I'll voice my opinions briefly on both.

Telepathy: I think you could come up with a rather farfetched and extraordinarily unlikely scenario in which people could develop "telepathic" powers, by having their brains react to signals from others' brains and interpret them. In my opinion this is akin to saying something like (off the top of my head) "Inside every black hole is a tiny, all consuming being". It could be true, but it's probably not.

Machines reading people's thoughts: Far more likely. We can already train software via headsets like these, to recognise predefined thoughts. Although this technology is in its infancy and can only reliably be trained to recognise very few thoughts, it can also recognise things like excitement levels. I think it is conceivable that with time, you could see what people are thinking with reasonable accuracy using a device like this. Wether or not that would require training per person remains to be seen.

Renzatic

Suspended
Machines reading people's thoughts: Far more likely. We can already train software via headsets like these, to recognise predefined thoughts. Although this technology is in its infancy and can only reliably be trained to recognise very few thoughts, it can also recognise things like excitement levels. I think it is conceivable that with time, you could see what people are thinking with reasonable accuracy using a device like this. Wether or not that would require training per person remains to be seen.

This has more or less already happened. It's limited right now, but a group of scientists have found a way to record images off the visual cortex. It's conceivable to think we're only a couple steps away from being able to record standalone thoughts.

...which is both absolutely amazing, and utterly terrifying.

edit: This isn't the article I was looking for, but it was close enough. The one I remember reading awhile back actually had a machine that recorded a blurry, indistinct image of a random thought. Hell if I can find it now, though.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

Despite what television would have you believe, no doctor or scientist is knowledgeable in all fields of their craft. That's why they call in experts when a more detailed analysis is needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.