Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You can do this by going to the downloads+Cloud tab in preferences and selecting steam library folders. You can make as many library folders as you want wherever.

Valve confirmed on March 6, 2013 that Mac Steam does not support creating additional Steam Libraries from within the Mac Steam Application. This is only supported on Windows. The instructions in the Symbolic Link (Moving Steam Content) MacRumnors Guide still applies.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Valve confirmed on March 6, 2013 that Mac Steam does not support creating additional Steam Libraries from within the Mac Steam Application. This is only supported on Windows. The instructions in the Symbolic Link (Moving Steam Content) MacRumnors Guide still applies.

I does work on my machine. I have a SSD and I have a select few games on the SSD and the rest on a HDD. Using steam's built in multiple library function.
I'm using Mac OSX 10.8.2 if that matters.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I does work on my machine. I have a SSD and I have a select few games on the SSD and the rest on a HDD. Using steam's built in multiple library function.
I'm using Mac OSX 10.8.2 if that matters.

Hmm. I'm using Snow Leopard. I know that when I try it, the Window menu where you might be able to select another drive/partition, nothing else shows up except my home drive. Anyway, this is what they said:

Hello David,

Installing Steam content to another drive/partition is not currently supported on the Mac version of Steam.

It may be possible to configure a symbolic link to allow these files to exist on another drive.

However, this process is recommended for advanced users only and is not supported.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symlink

Our Forum users may have more information regarding this process.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=890

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Hmm. I'm using Snow Leopard. I know that when I try it, the Window menu where you might be able to select another drive/partition, nothing else shows up except my home drive. Anyway, this is what they said:

You find the other volumes under /Volumes/.

Here is my setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvFsld6Aclk&

You see I have a library at /Volumes/Mac II/symlinks/steam/
Don't mind the name symlink, it's just what I called the folder, as it used to contain a symlinked library (which obviously is not anymore)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You find the other volumes under /Volumes/.

Here is my setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvFsld6Aclk&

You see I have a library at /Volumes/Mac II/symlinks/steam/
Don't mind the name symlink, it's just what I called the folder, as it used to contain a symlinked library (which obviously is not anymore)

In your video, where you clicked on another volume, nothing is there for me to choose although I have about 3 drives, 6 partitions. I wonder if the difference is MacOS6 vs 8? I've been thinking about upgrading to 8. Is there any compelling reason to do so? Maybe I should. ;)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
In your video, where you clicked on another volume, nothing is there for me to choose although I have about 3 drives, 6 partitions. I wonder if the difference is MacOS6 vs 8? I've been thinking about upgrading to 8. Is there any compelling reason to do so? Maybe I should. ;)

There are pros and cons with upgrading.
The pros is that many new games take advantages of newer OpenGL (3.x) which is available on 10.8, where as Snow Leopard is limited to OpenGL 2.x.
Then again you loose Rosetta, which makes PPC applications obsolete.
There are some changes in ML that in the start I found annoying, but after I upgraded my machine SL wasn't really working that well. (Intel Z77 chipset and i5 compared to my old p45 chipset and Core 2 Duo). It can still boot and run SL, but power saving and some stuff aren't working that well on that chipset and SL.

SL is still very viable, but more and more apps does require Lion and newer.
Also it's not anymore about if to upgrade your OS; but when to upgrade.

One thing I forgot to mention, all my drives are internal drives, and not external ones. 2xSSD and 3xHDD.

I'm still a bit confused why they say it is not supported on Mac, because it clearly works on my system?!It works the exact way it does on my win7 partition.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There are pros and cons with upgrading.
The pros is that many new games take advantages of newer OpenGL (3.x) which is available on 10.8, where as Snow Leopard is limited to OpenGL 2.x.
Then again you loose Rosetta, which makes PPC applications obsolete.
There are some changes in ML that in the start I found annoying, but after I upgraded my machine SL wasn't really working that well. (Intel Z77 chipset and i5 compared to my old p45 chipset and Core 2 Duo). It can still boot and run SL, but power saving and some stuff aren't working that well on that chipset and SL.

SL is still very viable, but more and more apps does require Lion and newer.
Also it's not anymore about if to upgrade your OS; but when to upgrade.

One thing I forgot to mention, all my drives are internal drives, and not external ones. 2xSSD and 3xHDD.

I'm still a bit confused why they say it is not supported on Mac, because it clearly works on my system?!It works the exact way it does on my win7 partition.

Maybe they don't want to answer questions or troubleshoot problems when they arise on MacOS? :rolleyes:

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I had a friend move his copy of Team Fortress 2 over to my computer. So I know it's possible. The only thing that you would have to download afterwards would be the tons of updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.