Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
What is really the point of these threads? You can't compare battery life between different users. According to the usage meter, my mini normally runs out of power after about 6 hours of light use (PDFs, a little browsing) at around 100% brightness and varying WiFi signal. Under different conditions it might have lasted 12 (according to the meter anyway). Neither is a "correct" answer. It all comes down to how you use it.

Haha that's funny and true. I've gotten 17 hours on the 4 with low brightness surfing and video watching. My norm is 10-13 but if I play intensive games its definitely under 9. Those are big differences to post or share online.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Are any of these amazing iPad 4's jailbroken? I'm jailbroken and getting terrible life. I go to sleep with it at 90%, and wake up 8 hours later with 90%.

But once I start using it, it goes down like water. We're talking 10% in probably 30 minutes or a bit less. That's with web browsing and annotating a PDF on Goodnotes.

I do have it on almost max brightness but come on, I want to actually see the display clearly, otherwise why even have a tablet?

OSxiPro

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Are any of these amazing iPad 4's jailbroken? I'm jailbroken and getting terrible life. I go to sleep with it at 90%, and wake up 8 hours later with 90%.

But once I start using it, it goes down like water. We're talking 10% in probably 30 minutes or a bit less. That's with web browsing and annotating a PDF on Goodnotes.

I do have it on almost max brightness but come on, I want to actually see the display clearly, otherwise why even have a tablet?

I jailbroke my iPad 3 a while back but when I realised just how much it drains your battery and that some people found out ways to get your username and password when you access the App Store I just had to say goodbye to the jailbreak community because it was making the device worse.

Pecheneg

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I jailbroke my iPad 3 a while back but when I realised just how much it drains your battery and that some people found out ways to get your username and password when you access the App Store I just had to say goodbye to the jailbreak community because it was making the device worse.

i don't believe in jailbreak either.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013

What's this about people being able to get your apple ID and password?

Jcmwwe

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
I just did a full charge from 8% to 100% again and did not come up again. When i go to usage it says usage time will be showed when pad battery is fully charged. This is twice in a row is something wrong with ipad or adapter. Anyone else have this problem. i see where u have been listed your usage times. Please help. Thanks.

xdxdaustin

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut, United States
There's pretty much no excuse for why battery life has become worse not better since the iphone 4 which came out 3 years ago, even with more powerful chips.

That's true. Apple has only increased their battery size a paltry 20mha over the past two/three years. The battery is only 1430mha in the iPhone 5 (I believe) when it should be at least 1800mha. Quite honestly, after seeing the Razor Maxx I don't think Apple has an excuse and I really think they've been resting on their laurels. Just my 2¢ :D

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
my iPad 3 can nearly last all week (Monday-Thursday). my usage would be considered moderate i guess - but even that's all relative.

in the morning i download that day's issue of the newspaper and i read it while i eat cereal or i stream the news. then i put it in sleep mode most of the morning at work then whip it out at lunch time to DL a few podcasts, watch a few video podcasts, stream the news some more, etc. then it's in sleep mode most of the day. when i get home from work, depending on when my gf gets home i will use it to watch Mad Money and/or Fast Money while i'm cooking dinner. then later that evening i'll usually watch an episode of whatever show i am catching up on (tonight it's The Americans - that new show with Keri Russel on FX). sometimes it'll be a movie with the gf via AirPlay. then before bed i'll read the newspaper some more then put it in sleep mode. rinse and repeat Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday - but on Thursday night i usually go out so i'm not using it that night. i can sometimes get it to stretch into Friday but if i stay in Thursday then i definitely need to charge it Thursday night. if i don't use it Thursday night then i start Friday with ~20% battery life and can usually squeeze out the rest of the day's usage if i go to work. what kills it is sometimes on Fridays i work from home and then i'm using it a lot and it'll be dead by lunch time (i'm up at 6am every day).

so yeah, the iPad 3 battery is impressive as is. i'll admit, the iPad 2 battery was even better. i could basically get it to last Monday-Saturday and then i'd have to charge it Saturday night before i go to sleep.

i had an iPad 4 briefly but didn't use it long enough to test out the long term battery life.

my girlfriend's iPad Mini lasts AN INSANE amount of time. i'm not even exaggerating. she has similar usage habits as me and can get it to last 1 1/2 weeks between charges. sheesh. that thing sips power like a hybrid sips gas lol

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Of course it does. It has a massive 11,000 mAh battery that can last a month on standby. My iPad 3 on high/moderate use can go about a week until it needs charge.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Of course it does. It has a massive 11,000 mAh battery that can last a month on standby. My iPad 3 on high/moderate use can go about a week until it needs charge.

yeah exactly.

i don't understand all of the people whining about the iPad 3's battery life when it first came out. it's got a Retina screen and it's able to last a week. what more could you ask for

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012

Define high/moderate use. On my iPad 4, with brightness set at 90% or 100%, the battery will last about 5 or 6 hours with high usage, which is web surfing with multiple tabs, annotating and highlighting PDFs, and iMessaging a dozen or so times.

Diego05

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2013
iPad 2 iOS 6.1

image.jpg

Usage 23 hours 10 minutes
Standby 13 days 17 hours.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I unplugged my iPad 4th gen and took it to an all-day event a week ago. I left it in my car with cellular turned on at 8:45am. I returned to my car at 6:45pm (10 hours later) and the iPad had been asleep the whole time, but notifications were turned on. The battery was still at 100%. I even turned it off and on again to double-check the battery %.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.