Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill phillips

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2012
to all those people saying what are you doing that requires 32 gb....its not that you actually need it its just knowing that its there to make you feel good :)

----------

ive got the same specs as your getting, running 32 gb corsair vengeance notebook memory, pc3 12800 1600mhz, runs perfect.

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
Update... since I'm going straight to 32GB, I went with the Kingston Hyper X. If I were just adding some ram to the stock ram, I'd do OWC. Thanks to those who recommended the Hyper X ram link. It's only a very tiny bit faster, but reportedly rock solid, so why not?

Htin

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2013
Just bought these for my in coming iMac!

577801_496589393720025_1605337515_n.jpg

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
My late IMAC 2012 i7 fusion gtx 680 crucial experience has been awful. I used the tool on their website to determine which ram i need to use. I kept the stock 8 gigs and added the 16. Ever since I've put it in my computer has not run smooth. Won't wake up or start half the time. Randomly turns on at 5 in the morning after pushing the power button 8 hours earlier. I've tried every combination with just the crucial ram in and it still gives me issues. Now I'm currently just using the stock 8 gigs and have 16 gigs of ram sitting here.

Time to figure out how this return process works and if they will refund me.

THAT does not sound like a memory issue.

You need to get your new iMac to a priest and have an exorcism.

When you say that you've "tried every combination" . . . do you get dysfunctional behavior with only the Apple/Hynix memory installed? If so, return your iMac.

If the dysfunctional behavior is only evident when the Crucial memory is installed . . . you need to contact Crucial and have them replace their failed memory.

[EDIT]
It is possible that the factory memory is also failed. You need to troubleshoot to diagnostic standards so that you know what you have and address the issue with Crucial and/or Apple.
[/EDIT]

I installed 2 x 16GB Crucial kits (P/N CT3650282) before my iMac ever saw the power cord. It runs like a hungry Cheetah. :)

(these 16GB kits must be popular, Crucial has raised the price over $35 USD since I purchased in early Dec)

Last edited:

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
No, it's not identical. The OWC and the Corsair are CL11, the Corsair is CL10 and lots of people used to experience problems with it, the Kingston HyperX Plug'n'Play is the fastest with CL9 and has worked flawlessly for everyone who tried it.

You can order it here from the US where most sellers ship to Canada for a reasonable fee, or here from Canada for CDN$129.45 + CDN$4.99 shipping.

Just checking to be sure - the Amazon link you supplied shows that memory to be for notebooks, not the iMac. Is the description inaccurate?

plasmaj

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
Just checking to be sure - the Amazon link you supplied shows that memory to be for notebooks, not the iMac. Is the description inaccurate?

yes, imacs use notebook (204 pin ) RAM. Best just to think of an imac as a large, not very mobile, notebook, with a beautiful built-in large display

jimcasey

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
This is ironic because people asked me the same thing when I put 16 gb in my 2010 imac, but what can you do with 32 gb of ram? I opened every program is cs5 and still didn't use all 16 in my 2010.

Two words for you: virtual machines.

I'm running a Windows Server development VM with VMWare Fusion and that will eat up memory pretty quick. The ability to run multiple VMs for testing is a bonus. If it weren't for this requirement I'd still be sticking my mid-2009 MBP with 8GB RAM :)

In regards to RAM, thanks for the discussion, I haven't decided Crucial or Corsair yet, but this info has been useful.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
This is ironic because people asked me the same thing when I put 16 gb in my 2010 imac, but what can you do with 32 gb of ram? I opened every program is cs5 and still didn't use all 16 in my 2010.

There is also the amount of free memory that can be used in "inactive memory" - that portion where recently closed apps can reside for awhile should you need to restart them.

e.g. I use Photoshop and Lightroom a lot. Even on fast machines they can take awhile to load. Oft times, I've brain farted and closed LR, then remembered I forgot to do something. We've all been there. The frustration compounds with every agonizing second while the app reloads. With sufficient RAM, this frustration goes away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.