Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Other than a stockholder, why would a consumer care who makes how much money? Did you know that about $94 billion of Apple's cash reserves are held outside of the US?

Most big companies operate outside of the US. It sucks for the people living in the US but the fact is a company doesn't have a passport. The company belongs to Earth, not country otherwise Apple, Microsoft, Google etc would only be able to trademark that name in US territory and some kid could name his Baby Shampoo store Google in the UK. Apple does make more money than Google and MS combined and that is because they're the best marketing company out there constantly winning that award year after year.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Most big companies operate outside of the US. It sucks for the people living in the US but the fact is a company doesn't have a passport. The company belongs to Earth, not country otherwise Apple, Microsoft, Google etc would only be able to trademark that name in US territory and some kid could name his Baby Shampoo store Google in the UK. Apple does make more money than Google and MS combined and that is because they're the best marketing company out there constantly winning that award year after year.

Did you read the post I replied to?

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
This means Samsung IS doing well and IS a threat.

I mean, they really could have used LG as a company.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Did you read the post I replied to?

yeah I did and just saying that why does it matter that $94 billion of Apple's money is outside of the US? I assume you're an American that is upset by it right? Apple can do what they want with their company since Apple itself doesn't belong to the USA.

If you are not getting at that, disregard my post. I am just sick of people whining about stuff that is legally allowed.

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
As is Samsung's. Tie?

Yep, don't get emotional about large companies because they aren't on your side!
All of iTunes money for example is in some tiny country in Europe isn't it because they offer a complete tax break? Apple have an office in that country so that the money goes there, I wonder how many people are actually in that office besides the janitor.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I gave up on an Android in less than a week. Nuff said.

I had done that before as well. A week is not enough time.

Both ios and android are great OS's I wouldn't know windows/new blackberry because I haven't used them but I'm sure they are pretty good as well with how competitive the smart phone market is. You're not going to go terribly wrong with any of those os's just goes by personal preference and what you want to be able to do with it.

I like that I control what I want to put on my android device and what I can share from it. I can put any media type on it and listen to it/play it. I also think the notifications and quick setting pulldown are superior to what the iphone has. Some widgets are useful well.

I like the physical form of the iPhone more then my s3 (other then the wasted space at the top and bottom of the phone, makes it too long) ios more natural to navigate and use but I've gotten used to android enough that I can get over these short comings.

A lot of S3/android features are gimmicky though.

At the end of the day my personal preference at the moment and lack innovation helped me make the decision to give android a try and its pretty good when you stick with it for a while, but both ios and android have there pros and cons. It's not black and white like some fanboys on both side make it seem.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Just in time for Galaxy S IV - what a coincidence !

if Galaxy S4 gets that aluminium iPhone5 looks (obviously very influenced by the iPhone5 especially on the side and the crystal cut chamfer edges) then Samsung is going to absolutely destroy Apple. I among many others buy Apple for the build quality and design more so than any other points of interest. The S3 feels cheap and creaks if you hold it firmly which is a turn off for me. If Samsung pull off physical design as well as Apple and already have Android which is much better than old iOS Apple have a huge problem! Phil is using his last breath of air to yell out in defence before the storm hits tomorrow. Too bad Apple didn't get to the punch line first with iOS7 (assuming it rocks).

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Schiller said that Android devices and the operating system "don't work seamlessly together" because they come from different vendors, unlike Apple which makes both the software and hardware in its devices.
I agree with this. However, the thing Google offers that kicks ass over Apple are it's services. As long as Apple allows third party services to continue on iOS, that's fine. Phil can smack talk all he wants. The day we are stuck with ONLY Apple services with no other options is the day I stop using my iPhone. Apple has proven time and again that they don't know how to deliver compelling, reliable, innovative services. They just suck at it. Which is fine. I don't need Apple to do services well when so many others do it better anyway. So keep talking about hardware and OSes Phil. ;)

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Every day. What is funny about that?

It's a bit funny that you think iWork is better than Google Drive. And Google has had a find my friends as a part of latitude for years. Honestly, I don't know a single person that uses either finding service on iOS or Android.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Yep, don't get emotional about large companies because they aren't on your side!
All of iTunes money for example is in some tiny country in Europe isn't it because they offer a complete tax break? Apple have an office in that country so that the money goes there, I wonder how many people are actually in that office besides the janitor.

DON'T YOU DARE SAY THEY AREN'T ON MY SIDE!

Steve Jobs' ghost caresses me every night.:eek:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
yeah I did and just saying that why does it matter that $94 billion of Apple's money is outside of the US? I assume you're an American that is upset by it right? Apple can do what they want with their company since Apple itself doesn't belong to the USA.

If you are not getting at that, disregard my post. I am just sick of people whining about stuff that is legally allowed.

Then you saw that the poster I replied to criticized Google because they gave away Android free and that hurt America. So does keeping $94 billion overseas and not paying taxes on it. It is legally allowed, so why criticize Google for giving Android away free and claim it hurts the US?

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Every review I read of Google Maps on iOS, on both sides of the fence, said the UI on the iOS was cleaner with some Android sites saying they hoped Google brought the iOS UI for Maps across to Android.

Don't want a tit for tat petty debate at nearly 11pm my time, so you enjoy your device and I'll enjoy mine.

It's cleaner because it is missing most of the features. Of course cleaner means it takes a million clicks to start navigation, etc.

Btw, I am currently using an iPhone 5. I've owned several Android devices including the Nexus 4.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I agree with this. However, the thing Google offers that kicks ass over Apple are it's services. As long as Apple allows third party services to continue on iOS, that's fine. Phil can smack talk all he wants. The day we are stuck with ONLY Apple services with no other options is the day I stop using my iPhone. Apple has proven time and again that they don't know how to deliver compelling, reliable, innovative services. They just suck at it. Which is fine. I don't need Apple to do services well when so many others do it better anyway. So keep talking about hardware and OSes Phil. ;)

yep haha. I made the @me address because I could get the email name I wanted vs my old gmail which every combination of letters and numbers under the character amount of about 10 is used up. Having used @me for about a year I still much prefer my gmail with the not so relevant name. I get a safer feeling from using gmail vs me also

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
It's cleaner because it is missing most of the features. Of course cleaner means it takes a million clicks to start navigation, etc.

Btw, I am currently using an iPhone 5. I've owned several Android devices including the Nexus 4.

Look, Imma need you to stick to one phone.:D

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!

It's a bit of a moral thing if the company is avoiding paying taxes that would benefit society. I'm sure samsung and most big corporations do it so the argument is a moot point.

Just don't pretend Apple is a "good guy" I won't pretend Samsung is either because I'm sure they're not. :D

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Then you saw that the poster I replied to criticized Google because they gave away Android free and that hurt America. So does keeping $94 billion overseas and not paying taxes on it. It is legally allowed, so why criticize Google for giving Android away free and claim it hurts the US?

Yeh he is silly for that but I thought you were saying that Apple is just as bad by the money they keep offshore as well.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
It's a bit of a moral thing if the company is avoiding paying taxes that would benefit society. I'm sure samsung and most big corporations do it so the argument is a moot point.

Just don't pretend Apple is a "good guy" I won't pretend Samsung is either because I'm sure they're not. :D

But then how do you decide which country should benefit from Apple paying taxes? The manufacturing is done in China, the product design R&D are done in the US and Apple has pretty much every other country covered in terms of its stores. They should be paying taxes to every country they put a poster up in since their money is made from multiple countries and not just the US.

----------

I didn't say either company was bad. I pointed out the contradiction in his statement.

we're in the same view then

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
I applaud the companies for keeping their monies overseas. Stay away from the IRS.

I processed my tax return Feb 14th and I'm STILL waiting on it!:mad:

KEEP YO' MONEY SAFE PEOPLES.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
But then how do you decide which country should benefit from Apple paying taxes? The manufacturing is done in China, the product design R&D are done in the US and Apple has pretty much every other country covered in terms of its stores. They should be paying taxes to every country they put a poster up in since their money is made from multiple countries and not just the US.

----------

we're in the same view then

Who cares which country benefits. As long as the money where to go something good in the world from any of these companies I would feel better.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Yes and thats why your getting your ass kicked by Android.

I have owned the S3, Nexus 4 and the Note 2 and i can tell you fragmentation hasnt hurt my experience one bit.

PC's are fragmented to hell and they dont suffer. In fact OSX cant perform a single benchmark better than PC in any games.

Dont tell consumers its for their benefit you make the hardware and software. Its for your profit only

PCs are not fragmented in the same way. One company controls Windows. It's not the cluster@#$% that Android has become. You don't have Dell and HP slapping proprietary UIs on Windows and tweaking things in a way that interferes with Microsoft's ability to update the OS. You don't have Amazon forking Windows. It's not comparable to Android. Android is a lot more like the Linux distros, unsurprisingly, which exhibit a huge degree of incompatibility with each other.

It's funny however that you cite games as a reason to support Microsoft's approach when iOS currently owns mobile gaming and there's no reason to think Android is going to catch up any time soon. I think your own argument is working against you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.