Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the base storage be bumped up to 32gb?

• Yes, the base model will be 32GB

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • No, it will remain 16GB

Votes: 34 60.7%

• Total voters

pear21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
Do you think that this will finally be the year that Apple upgrades the base storage on the iPhone to 32GB?
I personally believe that this will finally be the year with 32gb, and 64gb models.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I'm hoping for an 8GB model.

With ITunes Match, Spotify, Netflix, iPlayer etc I just don't need the storage.

It will be even better once they open up iTunes movies to streaming rather than having to download too.

I know, I know, people moan about data caps, etc, and that's fine, you can get the 64/128GB models, but for me, with my unlimited data, I'd prefer an 8GB model.

When I know I'm going to be out of range, I plan ahead and have offline stuff too, just not that much. Don't see the need.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I'm hoping for an 8GB model.

With ITunes Match, Spotify, Netflix, iPlayer etc I just don't need the storage.

It will be even better once they open up iTunes movies to streaming rather than having to download too.

I know, I know, people moan about data caps, etc, and that's fine, you can get the 64/128GB models, but for me, with my unlimited data, I'd prefer an 8GB model.

When I know I'm going to be out of range, I plan ahead and have offline stuff too, just not that much. Don't see the need.

I would think another reason for more storage is for apps. Apps are starting to get huge. Of course just like music everyone's wants or needs are different.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
Nope. 16gb is a very popular seller. I dont see any benefit to apple by doing this.

The reason it is a popular seller is because it is the base model, if 32gb was the base model it would become the best seller. Storage has become a lot cheaper over the recent years and there is no way another 16gb should cost me $100.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
The reason it is a popular seller is because it is the base model, if 32gb was the base model it would become the best seller. Storage has become a lot cheaper over the recent years and there is no way another 16gb should cost me $100.

It's not what it should cost that matters, it's how much apple wants to make. If it stops selling then apple may just do that. Other manufacturers are still doing 16gb as base models, and we all know apple will be the last to change this.

sk24iam

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Most likely they won't but it would be great if they did so the 64gb phones are reduced in price. I need a 64gb for my next iphone, 32gb isn't cutting it anymore.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I could see this happening soon. Apple moved the 8GB -> 16GB introductory model with the 3GS, and hasn't doubled it in a while. Perhaps with 128GB being an option, we will see 32GB slide down into 16GB, and so forth. Apple has great contracts on the pricing of NAND.

The issue is that the average user doesn't seem to need that amount of storage.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Most likely they won't but it would be great if they did so the 64gb phones are reduced in price. I need a 64gb for my next iphone, 32gb isn't cutting it anymore.

I agree, I think the price of the 64 GB model is ridiculous. That is the biggest thing that made me skip the iPhone 5 and keep using my 64 GB iPhone 4S. I think Apple will make the iPhone 5 only in 16 GB and the new iPhone will be 32 GB minimum.

The issue is that the average user doesn't seem to need that amount of storage.
I don't think that is true. Everyone I know with a 16 GB phone has filled it. You take a few pictures and have a few apps and it's full. Don't even get me started on the other space. One person I know has 10 GB of space marked "other," and there are countless posts on here about people worrying about the "other" space that is filling up their phone.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
There is no incentive for apple to do this, at the moment.

Sure there is. A storage upgrade would be one more thing to set the new model ahead of the iPhone 5. I think some people really overestimate the cost of a storage upgrade. According to the bill of materials that $100 storage upgrade costs Apple $10. I know that $10 adds up a lot with tens of millions of phones, and it is great to get 90% profit, but it is still a small part of the $650 total device cost.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Sure there is. A storage upgrade would be one more thing to set the new model ahead of the iPhone 5. I think some people really overestimate the cost of a storage upgrade. According to the bill of materials that $100 storage upgrade costs Apple $10. I know that $10 adds up a lot with tens of millions of phones, and it is great to get 90% profit, but it is still a small part of the $650 total device cost.

People are willing and ready to pay $200 for the 16gb, why would they sell the 32gb at that same price point? Does not make business sense.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
People are willing and ready to pay $200 for the 16gb, why would they sell the 32gb at that same price point? Does not make business sense.

So why didnt Apple just keep selling the 8 GB iPhone forever?
And don't forget in 2007 then reduced the price of the 8 GB iPhone to under what they previously sold the 4 GB iPhone after only two months.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
I agree, I think the price of the 64 GB model is ridiculous. That is the biggest thing that made me skip the iPhone 5 and keep using my 64 GB iPhone 4S. I think Apple will make the iPhone 5 only in 16 GB and the new iPhone will be 32 GB minimum.

I don't think that is true. Everyone I know with a 16 GB phone has filled it. You take a few pictures and have a few apps and it's full. Don't even get me started on the other space. One person I know has 10 GB of space marked "other," and there are countless posts on here about people worrying about the "other" space that is filling up their phone.

It depends from person to person, I know so many people with 16GB iPhones,having more than half space empty-my phone has 11 GB free :D,I just keep a few apps,pics and music but yes making 32 as base will be good for a lot of people who need space.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

A few pictures and a few apps wouldn't even come close to 1 GB. Your definition of "everyone" isn't everyone.

The other problem isn't solved by increasing capacity (I have NEVER heard of 10GB of other), though it needs to be resolved.

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
I certainly hope so, I want a 32GB iPhone/iPad without having to pay an extra $100. Even if they separated the different models by $50, I'd be fine with that, but $100 is just ridiculous.

16GB isn't cutting it for me (on both my iPhone & iPad), games/apps are becoming too large. I don't download much of anything (music/games/apps) these days because I don't have the space for it.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
A few pictures and a few apps wouldn't even come close to 1 GB. Your definition of "everyone" isn't everyone.

The other problem isn't solved by increasing capacity (I have NEVER heard of 10GB of other), though it needs to be resolved.

A lot of games now are over 1 GB. Some apps now have graphics for many screen sizes and resolutions. Space can also add up fast using iMovie.
Is Apple just supposed to stay at 16 GB forever.

And I attached a screenshot so now you can say you've heard of 10 GB of other space. Look around and read all the other posts about people talking about the other space. There is no good solution besides restore.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 97

pear21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
It's not what it should cost that matters, it's how much apple wants to make. If it stops selling then apple may just do that. Other manufacturers are still doing 16gb as base models, and we all know apple will be the last to change this.

True other manufacturers offer 16gb as the base model but quite a few of them offer the option for micro sd storage, something apple will never do. I could get an s3 and a 32gb sd card for like $25, way way cheaper than just 32gb for an iPhone.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The HTC one base model is 32gb and I think other manufacturers are going to follow suit. Apple may also be heading that direction by adding a 128gb iPad and making the base model touch 5 32gb. I sure hope apple moves that way. Streaming blah blah blah. 16gb is still too little. I know a lot of average users who are starting to run out of storage on their phones.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
A lot of games now are over 1 GB. Some apps now have graphics for many screen sizes and resolutions. Space can also add up fast using iMovie.
Is Apple just supposed to stay at 16 GB forever.

And I attached a screenshot so now you can say you've heard of 10 GB of other space. Look around and read all the other posts about people talking about the other space. There is no good solution besides restore.

Your case of 10GB of other doesn't meant everyone else is in the same boat. You have some serious backup issues.

And the average person doesn't play Infinity Blade or games that take over 1GB of space.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but most iPhone users nowadays are light users in that they have an iPhone, just to have an iPhone.

I think we WILL see Apple move to 32GB in the near future, but I'm not entirely convinced it's as required as us forum nerds make it out to seem.

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland

That's tru, other manufacturers sell even 8GB models - but many if not most of them are upgradeable through SD cards...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.