Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgdigital

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
Now that the optical drive is dead (for the iMac at least), let's use this thread to post the best Mac-compatible, External DVD burners, with links.

Preferably USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt or Firewire 800. :apple:

EDIT: I've included FW800 because of my 2 external HD's, so I'll have to buy a $29 adapter anyway. I might as well daisychain one more device.

Last edited:

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Now that the optical drive is dead (for the iMac at least), let's use this thread to post the best Mac-compatible, External DVD burners, with links.

Preferably USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt or Firewire 800. :apple:

Remembering there is no FireWire on new iMacs, so you'll have to price in adapter cable

grandvvazoo

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
you might want to reconsider the FW800 options, as there is no FW800 port on the 2012imac (unless you're considering paying for an adaptor as well)

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Good thread!!

Dont care about FW whats that do anyway? I'm looking for just a simple USB Optical we can do this right, no need for third party adapters?

rgdigital

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
Remembering there is no FireWire on new iMacs, so you'll have to price in adapter cable

Good point. I already have to get a Thunderbolt to FW800 cable for 2 of my external HD's. Add $29 to any FW800 burner.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Good point. I already have to get a Thunderbolt to FW800 cable for 2 of my external HD's. Add $29 to any FW800 burner.

Well, if you're already getting a converter for your external HDs, you might be able to daisy chain off them for your burner. Would save on cabling costs.

rgdigital

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
So far, usb 3 burners are hard to find, but there are a ton of usb 2 burners:

ASUS USB 2.0 Black External Slim CD/DVD Writer Model SDRW-08D2S-U
$29 on newegg

SAMSUNG USB 2.0 Ultra Portable External DVD Writer Model SE-218BB/RSBS
$35 on newegg

LaCie Slim DVD±RW USB 2.0 Portable Burner (301910)
$65 on macmall

Hirakata

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Burbank, CA
So far, usb 3 burners are hard to find, but there are a ton of usb 2 burners:

ASUS USB 2.0 Black External Slim CD/DVD Writer Model SDRW-08D2S-U
$29 on newegg

SAMSUNG USB 2.0 Ultra Portable External DVD Writer Model SE-218BB/RSBS
$35 on newegg

LaCie Slim DVD±RW USB 2.0 Portable Burner (301910)
$65 on macmall

There's no reason to get a USB 3 burner because of the bottleneck of DVD writing speeds.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I'll probably just get the Apple Super Drive, unless a USB 3 drive appears before next March, but saying that though the writing speeds would be slower than USB 3 so perhaps they'll be no point in making USB 3 external dvd/cd burners?

themcfly

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
I'll just take the cheapest usb-powered external drive off of amazon...

Just in case, because right now i wouldn't even need it for my software and media.

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
If I decide to get a 2012 model over the 2011 I'd be looking to add a blu ray drive with DVD write, I can really take advantage of the claimed screen quality then with movies.

rgdigital

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
There's also OWC -here's a nice fast one:

OWC Value Line 24X USB 2.0 External DVD Writer - $49

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I bought a blu-ray reader, which also burns DVDs, for under 60 bucks on Amazon.

I have really only used it for Blu-rays so I cant speak much to its burning capabilities.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012

redirector

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ield-keywords=Blu+Ray+DVD+Burner+external+mac

Since I have an old iMac, I have never looked for external options, but I am now. There's a ton of them, at many different price points and capabilities.

This explains why Apple excluded it altogether:
1. the problems of including an inferior DVD Burner that compromised their design and display goals, adding extra weight and component costs to the new iMac... Do not underestimate the savings Apple gets (and apparently is not passing on to us?) from a 30-40% reduction in shipping weight, especially when you an use that weight savings to ship over hi-dollar iPad and iPhones for no increase in corporate shipping costs. Apple's Revenue-per-Shipping Container just went through the roof!

2. Those who seriously need one (like me) would find these aftermarket options compelling esp with Blu-Ray and would have carped about Apple's inferior DVD burner

3. DVD burners are contrary to iTunes and iCloud profit centers.

4. I am guessing that internal surveys that focus on the decision for a customer to buy an AIO in the first place, the number of people putting "dvd burner" in the top 5 reasons to buy is not big enough to compromise all these other considerations. Including a DVD Burner in the iMac for that audience apparently would not sell incrementally more iMacs to offset all that cost savings.

Seems like an easy business decision to produce a better looking machine, achieve huge gains in shipping and component costs, and leave those who need to burn DVD's and could not be satisfied by Apple's choice of DVD burner to shop from this superior list of products.

Simonmiller

macrumors member
May 1, 2005
Belfast, UK
Can anyone in the UK recommend a good external DVD writer that can be flashed to make it region free please? I have been all over Google trying to find one!

Recoil Rob

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2012
There's also OWC -here's a nice fast one:

OWC Value Line 24X USB 2.0 External DVD Writer - $49

I tried this and though it would play audio CD's it would not burn either through iTunes or the provided Dragonburn software. I sent it back, the replaced it, same problem. Called Apple and spent 45min, they said probably incompatible.

Anyone else able to use this with the late 2012 iMacs with IntelCore i5?

rgdigital

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
Bought one and love it

I almost forgot about this thread. I ended up getting an external FW800/usb2/esata Blu-ray drive (not burner) from OWC for $129. Great, fast drive that will rip a Blu-ray in about 35min, and CD's in less than 5min.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MRF8USD12X/

Last edited:

Lyilly

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
Please excuse the newbie and humour the (what I'm sure is a silly) question - if I'm wanting an external optical drive mainly to play games (nothing hardcore, just Sims 3!) and watch the occasional dvd, am I alright to buy any old drive or do I need to be looking for something specific in the specs? For example, would this do the trick?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005N2UEGU/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

Thanks in advance! Just bought my very first iMac and not 100% sure what I'm doing yet....:D

rgdigital

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
Please excuse the newbie and humour the (what I'm sure is a silly) question - if I'm wanting an external optical drive mainly to play games (nothing hardcore, just Sims 3!) and watch the occasional dvd, am I alright to buy any old drive or do I need to be looking for something specific in the specs? For example, would this do the trick?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005N2UEGU/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

Thanks in advance! Just bought my very first iMac and not 100% sure what I'm doing yet....:D

Yes, that should work just fine.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I just ordered this one today and should be here next week.

Samsung BR/DVD/CD burner external drive

It has some good reviews so I figured I would give it a try. Only $10 more than the Apple SuperDrive but with BR ability so figured the $10 extra was worth it.

I will let you know more after I get it and get a chance to use it.

BTW, I have a i7 2.6GHz quad core Mac mini with 16 GB of ram. Is there a stock app that will allow me to burn CD/DVD/BR disk or is there a recommended, easy to use App/program to download to accomplish this? Preferably free or low cost.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.