Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMan1620

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
All of my iMacs are mounted, so this option is great. Agreed, I wish it was a choice (Stand or mount) but I'm Not going to lose sleep over it. Plus, I personally will never go back to using the stand so I don't need I. Apple does sell the stand separately. May not be on apple.com but it can be ordered

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Wow. This is a disappointing way for Apple to go about handling things. So if you bought one already, too bad. And if you want to buy one, you're committing to not being able to use a pedestal stand? I don't mount mine, but that's still a crappy way to handle it.

You are wrong, my friend. This is something that they need to do because the Apple iTV is coming and people will want to have that experience after they announce it. They know some people would say "but thats a bigger iMac, that;s all? I can do that with my iMac then.." for that people the choice will be clear, or buy the iMac as it is or with the wall stand.

I'm pretty sure the Fat iMacs we owned sooner will be obsolte for this new TV era. The only frustrated ones will be the 2013 iMac owners if the next day after the purchase they see the TV announced.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Just Apple sucking more money out of their loyal customers.

The new iMac should have been engineered the same as the last, being able to take off the stand and replace with a mount.

They knew what they were doing.

And these staggered "additions" to the lines are pissing off early adopters.

Jindra12

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Will there be an adapter for the iMac 27 (late 2012 model) with a stand? I want to have my iMac to be on the wall but it isn't doable without an adapter or having it to be replaced with the new one with a default wall mount.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I don't see why contributors are suggesting this move points towards a TV set. VESA mounting iMacs and ACDs has been possible, and officially supported by Apple in the form of supplying the needed accessories for a long time, over many iterations of the designs.

This move today simply brings the VESA mount possibility of the current iMac in line with past models.

Same reason with the Apple watch news. It's just to grab a headline.

Just because Apple made an iPod a small square and someone thought it was cool to make a wrist strap for it doesn't mean Apple are making a watch, unless you are tech news where no journalism takes place, just reposting made up rumours from some kids blog.

sexiewasd

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Back in Your Head
Wow this is terrible design. The physical design of it's product is something that Apple prides it's self with, so why is it that the iMac can't do both a stand and vesa mount when nearly every monitor on the market these days has the option of using either, and at no extra cost.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Should have made it differently, now there are even more SKU's, it should have the ability to DIY, like the older iMacs.

but this way they get $40 extra. plus, the demand for this is pretty small.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I've seen plenty of business, schools and universities with iMacs on VESA mount arms. Allows for room on the desk, but also the screen is at eye height which reduces RSI.

Some use a box to put the iMacs on to raise their height, kids are then told to store the mouse and keyboard under the iMac when they are finished.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
This is a nice option. Glad to see they went with a standard and not something proprietary.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
So a company as innovative as apple can't come up with an iMac that can accept a stand or VESA mount? Instead you have to choose one or the other and now you are stuck with that choice.

Now I'm guess their standalone monitors will have the same limitations too. I was waiting for a VESA mount option to come out and also for new display to come out but this is a bummer if I ever want to use a stand in the future. Hopefully a third party will come out with a VESA compatible stand to fill that gap Apple has now created.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Just Apple sucking more money out of their loyal customers.

The new iMac should have been engineered the same as the last, being able to take off the stand and replace with a mount.

They knew what they were doing.

And these staggered "additions" to the lines are pissing off early adopters.

I don't understand the anger. Early adopters knew what they were buying and got what they bought. Just because something new comes out, they have some right to be upset?

Early adopters will ALWAYS run into the situation where something newer and better comes out in the future. Explain to me how that could possibly not happen?

9Speed

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I hope I'm being pessimistic, but my first thought was "ugh, this is their first step towards trying to convince us that the iMac is a suitable Mac Pro replacement."

I do think I'm wrong, but that was totally my first thought.

I'm right there with ya, except that moment came for me when they added SD slots to the iMac...

How can you buy a Mac Pro when the iMac has an SD slot?? Now it's even worse... potential Mac Pro customers will probably think "Yeah, I kinda need the 12 cores for video post production, but Holy Crap! An SD card slot AND a VESA mount option??"

/pessimistic isn't the word I would use

Paclypse71

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
San Diego
I almost bought another Thunderbolt Display thinking that they had abandoned VESA functionality for the next model, but now I guess I'll wait.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Not really. They had to engineer this for very few people who will buy them. They cost more. Who knows, maybe the $40 price IS the subsidized cost after they keep the stand.

Subsidy? Yeah right.

BTO upgrades on Mac computers are one of the money milking aspect from Apple.

Give it i5 so people pay $200 extra for i7
Give it 675MX so people pay $150 for 680MX
Give it free stand so people pay for $40 mandatory, non reversible VESA moubt.

More like me subsidize Apple.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Finally! To me this is the precursor to "Apple TV with display". To be an AppleTV at all you only need an A5 processor, but an integrated Mac and ATV will provide far more capabilities, and the higher cost of the Mac is folded into the higher value of a retina display screen.

This is the true beginning of Apple's foray into actual TV sets. Here it comes.

as opposed to all the other imacs prior that were VESA mount ready?

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Isn't it a bit cheeky charging for this, as it is offered instead of the foot, not as well as?
Absolutely; I'd rather see a kit to do this yourself, with the option to bundle it via build-to-order instead. Maybe future generations will make it easy for a user to swap, but it just seems a funny way of doing things right now.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
This makes me so mad!

And by mad, I mean I was interested enough to read the article and some of the rants in the comments.

doug13

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2004
Knoxville, Tennessee
apple is giving you for 40 bucks what every one else gives you for FREE

Why does anyone think it is news when a control freak company like apple decides to do what all other monitor manufactures did 8 years ago.

The Video Electronics Standards Association's VESA mount was for the consumer not the manufacture. It was to aid the consumer the right and privilege to buy a new monitor with out having to change out the wall or table mount to fit the manufactures specification.

That would be 180 degrees from what apple is looking for. If there is any news here it is the fact it took the apple so long to come around to answering the public's call for consistent with world standards. . . AND apple is giving you for 40 bucks what every one else gives you for FREE.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I don't understand the anger. Early adopters knew what they were buying and got what they bought. Just because something new comes out, they have some right to be upset?

Early adopters will ALWAYS run into the situation where something newer and better comes out in the future. Explain to me how that could possibly not happen?

The point is that Apple is withholding features and staggering their releases (more options for the low end, this mount option), knowing full well that they could have, and should have been the default options to begin with.

The thing that really annoys me, was that when the iMacs were first released Apple was very fuzzy on whether they were VESA compatible or not, or whether there would be a mount add-on later on.

Obviously they knew that they were going to pull this later down the road, and they could have told people options would be available at a later date. But they didn't, because this way they get more money.

Now, if you'd rather the wall-mount option, you get to sell your 2 month old iMac to buy another.

There is no excuse as to why for many past iterations the iMac had a detachable stand, and mount option, now it's only BTO, one or the other.

Oh and btw, I'm not THAT upset about it, as I'm not mounting my iMac, but I had thought about it, and it would have been nice to at least had the option. The new Apple just seems to be all about themselves and the money, and not the customer, where before, at least they struck a balance.

I guess the only good thing to come out of this is that now the 21.5" iMacs can get a mount :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I feel sorry for people who already bought one and just assumed is came VESA ready without asking.

But going forward I very much like the lack of waste: I was on the fence considering a VESA mount for my last iMac, but trying to find a scrap dealer to take the old foot held me back. If I replace my iMac (rather than just adding a display to my Air) I may well go with VESA next time.

I'm sure others want the extra metal so they can go back and forth, but not me.

+/- $40 for a specialized config of an already mid-to-high-end machine seems tolerable. It's a niche product, and this adds inventory management issues. The cost to Apple isn't the raw metal alone. Would have been nice if they designed it to be changed with a tool like before, but that's extra hassle as well. If people who order VESA actually want VESA, then this new method is ready-to-go. Maybe Apple tended to get multiple-orders of the old VESA mount? Having them arrive ready would be nice in that case.

All in all a pretty minor change from before. I suspect a lot of the people complaining are complaining in the traditional sense of "doesn't affect me--I'll never really VESA-mount an iMac--but I will complain on behalf of people I assume wouldn't like this, and will read grand evil schemes into the fact that the new machines now have more options than yesterday while taking nothing away." ;)

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
This is the true beginning of Apple's foray into actual TV sets. Here it comes.

I still believe they will adapt the Cinema displays to run ATV OS. Its a great form factor already and a 42" version would look aces on my wall.

swoon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.