Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Is anyone here CompTIA A+ certified, specifically as a computer technician? I'm trying to get a job as one but everyone says you need to be certified before working with computers hands-on. For those of you that are, is the test difficult, so-to-speak? I was looking over some practice questions, some of which I didn't know the answers to but some were obvious. Do they give you multiple tries, ie. able to go back for a second test?

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
Is anyone here CompTIA A+ certified, specifically as a computer technician? I'm trying to get a job as one but everyone says you need to be certified before working with computers hands-on. For those of you that are, is the test difficult, so-to-speak? I was looking over some practice questions, some of which I didn't know the answers to but some were obvious. Do they give you multiple tries, ie. able to go back for a second test?

I am CompTIA A+ certified.

The test should be relatively easy if you know enough to diagnose and repair a broken machine (and peripherals, and basic networking issues).

If you are planning to learn on the job, you will likely need to study up a bit. I walked in and took the test after having worked repairing computers for 5 years (and doing it for fun/free prior for quite a bit longer) and got a near perfect score on both tests.

Depending on what practice info you had, there is a good chance it is a little outdated. You definitely have to know some legacy stuff to pass.

I would recommend Professor Messer's free online video classes for all the CompTIA tests. His videos are very thorough, and he does a great job explaining things for the novice. (http://www.professormesser.com/)

In my opinion, if you watch the videos all the way through for A+ once, you should be able to walk in and take the test.

When it comes time to take the test, be sure to search around for deals or vouchers, I save $120 by buying from a 3rd party and redeeming the vouchers on the registration website.

PM me if you have specific questions about my experience.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I am CompTIA A+ certified.

The test should be relatively easy if you know enough to diagnose and repair a broken machine (and peripherals, and basic networking issues).

If you are planning to learn on the job, you will likely need to study up a bit. I walked in and took the test after having worked repairing computers for 5 years (and doing it for fun/free prior for quite a bit longer) and got a near perfect score on both tests.

Depending on what practice info you had, there is a good chance it is a little outdated. You definitely have to know some legacy stuff to pass.

I would recommend Professor Messer's free online video classes for all the CompTIA tests. His videos are very thorough, and he does a great job explaining things for the novice. (http://www.professormesser.com/)

In my opinion, if you watch the videos all the way through for A+ once, you should be able to walk in and take the test.

When it comes time to take the test, be sure to search around for deals or vouchers, I save $120 by buying from a 3rd party and redeeming the vouchers on the registration website.

PM me if you have specific questions about my experience.

Is the test really that expensive? o_O
I used this: http://certification.comptia.org/Tr...samplequestions/A-701-Practice-Questions.aspx and http://certification.comptia.org/Tr...samplequestions/A-702-Practice-Questions.aspx

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
Sounds like you used UTD practice questions, like I said, there are some legacy questions on there (you will see more legacy hardware then you will cutting edge).

I think I paid $300 instead of $330 or $360. I doubled my estimated savings in my first post. Whoops.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'm checking Professor Messer's site now. Looks good. Do you suggest the 801-802 or the 701-702?

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
I am certified as of 2010, but they updated the test shortly after I took it. Not sure if they removed the legacy questions like "a customer wants to upgrade their pentium II machine from windows 95 to xp..." or "a customer with a daisy wheel printer...." You will definitely need to know some basic command line stuff and how networking works (the layers and such).

As for cost, no idea. I actually took a class in school, at the end I took the test for free :D

No they do not give you multiple tries. But the "pass" threshold is pretty low iirc.

Not a difficult test, but then again I've been doing this stuff since I was four. Some of my classmates did not pass :(

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I took the test a very long time ago. I've been told it has changed dramatically since the late 90s and early 2000s

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I took the test a very long time ago. I've been told it has changed dramatically since the late 90s and early 2000s

It's been changed several times, including from a lifetime certification to 3-year renewal required then back to lifetime.

I took and passed mine in 2001 but I feel like it doesn't mean anything anymore. It seems like everyone is taking and passing the test, this also means that the pay for jobs that utilize it hasn't gone anywhere (not going up). Sure, it serves a purpose - if you want to get certified by an OEM to repair their computers under warranty they will likely require it.

ben.hull1991

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014
I'm currently taking the Comptia A+ course now and it updates as per the tech advancement. Although for example some of the topics are old tech now, like I'm having to learn the components and troubleshooting techniques of a CRT screen which are very rarely deployed these days.

The topics are hard if you don't work in IT, otherwise it's simple to apply it all to your day job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.