Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
And don't get me started on the lack of HDMI!!!! :mad:

:)

----------

Will there be an adapter for the iMac 27 (late 2012 model) with a stand? I want to have my iMac to be on the wall but it isn't doable without an adapter or having it to be replaced with the new one with a default wall mount.

No. The machine has to be fully disassembled to change this piece, as shown in teardowns.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Why does anyone think it is news when a control freak company like apple decides to do what all other monitor manufactures did 8 years ago.

The Video Electronics Standards Association's VESA mount was for the consumer not the manufacture. It was to aid the consumer the right and privilege to buy a new monitor with out having to change out the wall or table mount to fit the manufactures specification.

That would be 180 degrees from what apple is looking for. If there is any news here it is the fact it took the apple so long to come around to answering the public's call for consistent with world standards. . . AND apple is giving you for 40 bucks what every one else gives you for FREE.

iMacs and ACDs have been VESA compatible for a while. Apple just dropped the ball on the iMac redesign and left it out. The next model will likely have it built in or have a DIY adapter.

Nice rant, unfortunately most of it just reveals a lack of understanding...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Isn't it a bit cheeky charging for this, as it is offered instead of the foot, not as well as?

Sure, but no different than any other Apple CTO upgrade where you don't get credit for the removed item when upgrading. I think the worst part here is that you are forever committed to using the Mac either as free standing or wall mount. It's a functionality killer and design flaw. For a computer as expensive as an iMac it should be designed to be used either way.

bartp

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Apple you suck!
This is really messed up. Are they retarded overthere? They could have thought about this prior to releasing the first model. Come on. I just bought one.
What about loyal customers.
Apple you suck!

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
The current iMacs can be ordered with the Vesa now. People who want to mount their iMacs surely own old iMacs.

Obviously I read the story, people here are complaining about their 2012 iMacs not being mountable, not their older models.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Seems like it is welded.

13.03.14-VESA_iMac-2.jpg

Hes Nikke

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2001
overcharged again

Leave it to apple to charge an extra $40 for something that is standard and built in to EVERY other monitor ever.

raniel

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Ph
They should give it away for free. Like what they did to bumper cases. It's apple's fault that they designed it that way(not vesa compatible).

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
They should give it away for free. Like what they did to bumper cases. It's apple's fault that they designed it that way(not vesa compatible).

People were aware it wasn't VESA compatible when they bought it.

----------

Leave it to apple to charge an extra $40 for something that is standard and built in to EVERY other monitor ever.

1. This is an all in one, not a monitor.

2. They are welding a piece of metal onto an existing iMac. That's not free.

I do wish that VESA compatibility was standard and you could switch between the stand and the wall mount, but this is a decent option for those who need it.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
People were aware it wasn't VESA compatible when they bought it.

----------

1. This is an all in one, not a monitor.

2. They are welding a piece of metal onto an existing iMac. That's not free.

I do wish that VESA compatibility was standard and you could switch between the stand and the wall mount, but this is a decent option for those who need it.

The problem is that Apple was very vague at pre-order time on whether or not the new iMac was VESA Compatible.

So the first batch of buyers didn't know it wasn't compatible, and probably assumed it was since previous 27" iMacs were. I did, until it came to light that the stand didn't come off.

I realize this isn't the end of the world, but it is yet another example, of either a) Apple screwing people, or b) Apple not having their act together on a product launch, or c) All of the Above.

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
Well, if anything a stand-less 21.5" iMac is easy carry-on luggage. May be a factor in a lot of people going that route.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Hey Apple finally showed what the iMac looks like in profile view on their website!

It was always there. But was conveniently ignored by the trolls and pedants who continually liked to point out that it wasn't so thin after all :rolleyes:

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Wow. This is a disappointing way for Apple to go about handling things. So if you bought one already, too bad. And if you want to buy one, you're committing to not being able to use a pedestal stand? I don't mount mine, but that's still a crappy way to handle it.

They make VESA pedestal stands...

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
What a cheesy hack. They should have designed the iMac's case properly from the start even if, god forbid, it made it a little thicker. Horrible design and just one more reason why I wouldn't buy an iMac in its current form.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Apple: "For $40, we will sell you an iMac without the stand!"

This should be a built-in option. Almost every display at Best Buy has a VESA mount regardless of price.

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
it would be pretty awesome if they woulld design a stand to attach to that mount and save a significant amount of desk space . then the thinning of the iMac would make better sense.

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
Should have been vesa compatible from the start and while we are at it, there should be a door on the back to access the hard drive and ram slots on both machines. Period. Never going to buy a disposable computer. Sorry apple. Keeping my pre-lion systems and staying on Snow Leopard and when that is no longer feasible am leaving apple all together. That is unless apple gets their heads out of their arses.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
Appreciate it could cut both ways (right buyer at right time) but a year or two down the line I'd be more comfortable with reselling an imac with pedestal stand than one that's stuck with a VESA only mount.

That right buyer doesn't come along you might get no where near as much interest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.