Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has listed the 4th-generation iPad and the iPad mini on its Refurbished store for the first time. There is an extremely limited selection currently, but discounts are $30-$40 on the mini, and $50 on 4th-generation iPad models.

refurbipad.jpg

Availability is subject to rapid change and interested purchasers should not wait too long to buy. Apple's refurbished units include the same one-year warranty as standard products, as well as a brand new battery and outer shell.

Article Link: Apple Offers Refurbished iPad Mini and 4th-Generation iPad for First Time

Last edited:

Jack Delgado

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
Wonderful!

Just in time for a rumored potential new release window! (though I doubt it).

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'd rather pay the extra 6% to get a new one. Not buying till Retina anyways.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
NICE... hopefully they keep their price point until the release so i can sell my ipad mini LOL

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I was expecting 14% or greater. The 6% is something but not by much.

It is cheaper for me to either purchase a brand new one, same price, due to savings in taxes or get one brand new, cheaper even, by using my sisters employee discount at target plus red card.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I'm still waiting on the refurbished iPod touches (5th gen) to show up myself. Maybe this is a good sign that they'll be there soon since they were actually released before these iPads.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
And? I signed up with AT&T for a two year contract with my iPad mini and got it for $359. Sure, I have a contract for two years, but thats how long I keep my Apple stuff :) By Gen 3 of the iPad Mini, there will be retina and I am sure lots of other goodies :D:apple:

Last edited:

techweenie

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
West LA
Apple knows what it's doing.

There's exceptional price elasticity in this market.

Take a look at Craigslist and eBay and you'll find iPads selling used for full retail.

I'm holding out for a $279 iPad 2... that's my sweet spot. I do not expect to see that in 2013.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
When a refurbished unit is sold, does that count towards the "total sales" figures that get cited?

If so, then aren't refurbs getting double counted, once when it is sold new the first time, and again when it gets sold refurbished the second time?

My impression is that Apple sells a LOT of refurbs.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Anyone know how much Apple will buy old iPad minis for? Or is that not how this works? Are these just returned units?

dmx3698

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Waiting

Buy ipad in 2 months and brand new ones will be $399 for 4th gen. I wonder by making the the bezel thinner on each side would it be a problem 5th gen while holding it because you hands might cover up some of the screen.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
The box is that important to you? Refurbs from Apple are in just as good (if not better) condition than "new" products. The only different is the brown box.

Target 5% from RedCard already covers that difference anyways. And yes, I like having a new product, tearing off the factory seal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.