Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Does Safari feel snappier?

(And now that I've had my turn saying that, I don't think I ever will again. I'm surprised I was first to say it with 25 comments before mine.)

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
Now if they'd just address the widespread complaints about the lack of a 10.8.3 release date...

So Apple does release point fixes (that iRony - TM and Copyright protected, patents pending)

Now what about
- Safari
- Time Machine
- and so on

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Does Safari feel snappier?

(And now that I've had my turn saying that, I don't think I ever will again. I'm surprised I was first to say it with 25 comments before mine.)

Ya weren't.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 19.01.54.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-14 at 19.01.54.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 267

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I just downloaded it. Everything went flawless, except for one thing. Restarting. The fans blasted as the computer started up again, lasted a second or two but other than that, it was fine.

That's normal.

----------

Thank goodness the powernap bug is fixed! I would come back to my computer and it would be warm because it never finished backing up!

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Any piece of technology will be improved over time with driver/software/firmware updates. It happens all the time. Just look at the latest graphics drivers for windows from AMD. They improve performance greatly in many games. This doesn't necessarily mean that the associated GPUs weren't great in the first place, it means that they have just got even better.

Same goes for the Retina MacBook Pro or any other device.

Nah, this machine has been laggy/underpowered for the screen. It needs a 2GB GPU in it to be a 'Pro' machine and able to power that screen correctly. I won't even touch it for video/graphic work. It's just not up to par yet.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I have actually not experienced these problems with mine but I know they're pretty widespread, so this is good to have! :) It would probably just be a matter of time for me otherwise...

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
exactly, this is why I avoid 1st gen hardware from apple

retina 15" = weak GPU, weak CPU, riddled with bugs

gen 2 retina 15" will be glorious

Agreed on the GPU...ridiculous it has not only a mid line mobile GPU (GT vs GTX) but it's only 1GB vs 2GB (required for most Adobe/VCP applications).

Hope Gen2 is what we all want.

I wish they'd just put the Retina screen in the old body also.

mamiller93

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2009
I just downloaded it. Everything went flawless, except for one thing. Restarting. The fans blasted as the computer started up again, lasted a second or two but other than that, it was fine.

"Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source, or your battery must be at least 25% charged.

When your computer restarts, a gray screen will appear with a status bar to indicate the progress of the update. Your computer's fans will run at full speed during the update but will return to normal speed once the update completes. Do not disturb or shut off the power on your computer during this update."

Someone wasn't reading the instructions...

superpalmtree

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
North Dakota
Wow, huge improvement in performance since the upgrade! Safari is snappy, iTunes is snappy, it's created an enjoyable machine, finally! I've only been using this waiting for the Mac Pro, but this update has been Noticeable!

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
"Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source, or your battery must be at least 25% charged.

When your computer restarts, a gray screen will appear with a status bar to indicate the progress of the update. Your computer's fans will run at full speed during the update but will return to normal speed once the update completes. Do not disturb or shut off the power on your computer during this update."

Someone wasn't reading the instructions...

Who reads these days? :p

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Nah, this machine has been laggy/underpowered for the screen. It needs a 2GB GPU in it to be a 'Pro' machine and able to power that screen correctly. I won't even touch it for video/graphic work. It's just not up to par yet.

Wow, I had no idea there were still people that uninformed... It's probably better for the video/graphic world that you aren't doing any work right now.

-P

Josheh

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008

You know, I read up a lot and saw a lot of people complaining about various problems. I dove in anyway and haven't had near the issues that others have had. Actually, I haven't had any issues really. I'm not sure where you guys are getting your opinions, if they're based on people complaining, or if they're first hand experiences. Let me share mine with you though, my first hand experience.

I purchased the Retina model because I thought it'd be great for photography. I do photography, web design, photoshop, and 3d work on this computer. It's amazing and has worked great in all of those capacities. I use it while mobile, and I also connect it into a couple of monitors and use it as a work station. It has performed well, about as well as a highend laptop might. It may not perform as well as my workstation at work, but well, that's a workstation. It's beefy, it's got the room to be beefy, it's not trying to compact itself into a portable fashion.

I'm sorry that you feel the Macbook Retina is so crappy of a product, but some of us have found it to be successful. I enjoy this computer and have no regrets. I've had no issues that made me think this product is beta, or whatever.

SparkyGa

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
1st Gen

I have the first GEN rMBP 2.7GHz quad-core cpu. The don't game a lot but every now and then I will poke into WOW. I use CS6 on this machine all day long though and I have never seen a slow down or anything else. Considering I don't do anything crazy with the machine it has served it's purpose for me just fine. I disagree that it is under powered, for doing some intensive stuff.

As far as gaming goes; this machine has only been able to give me around 25 to 30fps. I really never expected more out of it for gaming though.

I am not in front of my rmbp right now to run the update but I hope it will be nice.

Josheh

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Agreed on the GPU...ridiculous it has not only a mid line mobile GPU (GT vs GTX) but it's only 1GB vs 2GB (required for most Adobe/VCP applications).

Hope Gen2 is what we all want.

I wish they'd just put the Retina screen in the old body also.

What Adobe applications? I've had no issues using Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Dreamweaver. Granted, I haven't used After Effects, but on the windows side I have used 3D Studio Max without issue. Not to mention all the fun games I've played.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Wow, I had no idea there were still people that uninformed... It's probably better for the video/graphic world that you aren't doing any work right now.

-P

Sorry, the work I do actually requires a MacPro which I use..

Can't do it with a 1MB GPU.

-P

----------

You know, I read up a lot and saw a lot of people complaining about various problems. I dove in anyway and haven't had near the issues that others have had. Actually, I haven't had any issues really. I'm not sure where you guys are getting your opinions, if they're based on people complaining, or if they're first hand experiences. Let me share mine with you though, my first hand experience.

I purchased the Retina model because I thought it'd be great for photography. I do photography, web design, photoshop, and 3d work on this computer. It's amazing and has worked great in all of those capacities. I use it while mobile, and I also connect it into a couple of monitors and use it as a work station. It has performed well, about as well as a highend laptop might. It may not perform as well as my workstation at work, but well, that's a workstation. It's beefy, it's got the room to be beefy, it's not trying to compact itself into a portable fashion.

I'm sorry that you feel the Macbook Retina is so crappy of a product, but some of us have found it to be successful. I enjoy this computer and have no regrets. I've had no issues that made me think this product is beta, or whatever.

Oh it works great for 'graphic' design...not so much for motion graphics/higher end after effects/VCP and other video intensive applications and editing.

Then again, a MBAir does 'graphic' design just fine also.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007

1st gen Retina 15" is already glorious. I run 3 displays (one is a Apple TB display) off of that "weak GPU" and don't have any noticeable performance issues.

As for CPU, the rMBP I have Geekbenches 10788, and the 2013 model does 12547. How is that weak? A top end 27" iMac does slightly better (12878), and other than that it's only 6+ core Mac Pros that do better -- so only desktop machines do better.

That said, I say it's better to wait for future revisions unless you are forced to buy something now, but that's more because there is still a good amount of software that isn't Retina-ready and less about the hardware.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.