Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
5uhap3.jpg

"You wanna know how much till the song ends? lol. not today bro"

I hate this whole form over functionality way Apple is taking.
I mean, why mess with the most perfect music player ever made...
Now the enter/return key no longer works as the "start playing this music I'm selecting right now" key when you're on a playlist... Amongst other stuff...
I mean, it's neat and all. but they could have just added the sliding window that comes down (in the mini player) to the old one...

This is just my two cents.

I needed to take it off my chest, and what other place better than here...

Well, share your thoughts, or just call me old geezer. (I'm 24 btw)

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
"You wanna know how much till the song ends? lol. not today bro"

I hate this whole form over functionality way Apple is taking.
I mean, why mess with the most perfect music player ever made...
Now the enter/return key no longer works as the "start playing this music I'm selecting right now" key when you're on a playlist... Amongst other stuff...
I mean, it's neat and all. but they could have just added the sliding window that comes down (in the mini player) to the old one...

This is just my two cents.

I needed to take it off my chest, and what other place better than here...

I agree, not real keen on iTunes 11. It just hasn't added that much functionality for me. Mostly just visual format changes. Have you tried clicking on the artwork in the mini player?

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
I have

Have you tried clicking on the artwork in the mini player?

Yes, I've tried that. It's not practical. It's a big space-occupying square that doesn't fit anywhere near as well as the old mini player did. Also, when in mini-player mode, how do I turn shuffle on and off without the menu bar? I don't.

Thank you though :)

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Yes, I've tried that. It's not practical. It's a big space-occupying square that doesn't fit anywhere near as well as the old mini player did. Also, when in mini-player mode, how do I turn shuffle on and off without the menu bar? I don't.

Thank you though :)
Yeah, it's large. Just wasn't sure if you knew about it or not. I just discovered it last week!:eek:

No idea how to do the shuffle thing from mini.

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
To each its own

i greatly prefer 11 vs the old versions of itunes

I don't suppose you could justify that with a reason. Or present a solution to the problems I just pointed out in the new one.
I mean, the old one was painfully easy and basic, but it got everything done with very few steps (and possibly with blindfolded eyes).
The new one... It unnecessarily overcomplicates stuff to make it neat-ish...
I mean, yeah, it's more pleasing to the eye, and makes one look more like an expert when using it.
The old one was just plain simple.

Again, just my two cents. Might habe been three this time. :p

----------

I don't suppose you could justify that with a reason. Or present a solution to the problems I just pointed out in the new one.
I mean, the old one was painfully easy and basic, but it got everything done with very few steps (and possibly with blindfolded eyes).
The new one... It unnecessarily overcomplicates stuff to make it neat-ish...
I mean, yeah, it's more pleasing to the eye, and makes one look more like an expert when using it.
The old one was just plain simple.

Again, just my two cents. Might habe been three this time. :p

Wait! I got it!
You are the guy in the pic are you not?
just kidding...

Last edited:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Why? Functional changes, appearance changes, or both? Help me out, maybe I'm missing something.

I like how it is easier to make playlists and being able to set songs to play next. I also like how more capability has been incorporated into the mini player

Granted, I never noticed the lack of a track length bar in the new one:eek:

I do wish that the new one defaulted to the artist/album headers at the top and the songs listed below. Easier to reconfigure but I was and still not a fan of the default presentation

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Almost given up on iTunes since 11

I just find the whole interface very unintuitive now

and I miss iTunes DJ, which I used most of the time when listening to music

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I like how it is easier to make playlists and being able to set songs to play next. I also like how more capability has been incorporated into the mini player

Granted, I never noticed the lack of a track length bar in the new one:eek:

I do wish that the new one defaulted to the artist/album headers at the top and the songs listed below. Easier to reconfigure but I was and still not a fan of the default presentation
Thank you for the explanation. As usual, as it is with most software, it depends on what you use it for. I don't do playlists, I just have a few smart ones. And once I hit "shuffle", I never look at what's coming up next. So the 2 features you think are improved...I never use. Hopefully, it's a work in progress and we will all be happier after a few iterations.

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
Yes, that.

Thank you for the explanation. As usual, as it is with most software, it depends on what you use it for. I don't do playlists, I just have a few smart ones. And once I hit "shuffle", I never look at what's coming up next. So the 2 features you think are improved...I never use. Hopefully, it's a work in progress and we will all be happier after a few iterations.

What both of guys said.
Well, thanks all for contributing.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany

Quite satisfied with the new iTunes, like the new design (yes, also the hidden sidebar which you actually don't need in my opinion). Design has to move on, so yes, your getting old :D I'm 36 by the way.

I actually was disappointed from the performance of the redesigned iTunes store. Still overloaded from a design point of view, stuttering when scrolling, etc.

Any thoughts on this?

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
Performance issues..

Quite satisfied with the new iTunes, like the new design (yes, also the hidden sidebar which you actually don't need in my opinion). Design has to move on, so yes, your getting old :D I'm 36 by the way.

I actually was disappointed from the performance of the redesigned iTunes store. Still overloaded from a design point of view, stuttering when scrolling, etc.

Any thoughts on this?

I've been on board with iTunes since iTunes 2...
It has only been getting slower as time passes...
If someone could elaborate the rational (a rational rational, not just the "because this" rational. lol) behind this, I think it would be great...

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
iTunes has always been pretty consistent in speed here. Been using iTunes since it was released.

bobsax

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
I'm on the dissatisfied side and since there's really no going back all we can hope for is Apple hears the users that miss the old features and brings them back.
We have to stay vocal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.