Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After a beta period that began in December, productivity and search app Alfred was today updated to version 2.0. Alfred, which is a Mac replacement for Spotlight, is now equipped with a new feature called Workflows.

alfred1.png
Workflows are designed to allow users to automate and execute multi-step tasks with a single keystroke, using a simple visual editor. The app offers support for launching AppleScript actions in addition to opening files, executing system commands, and accessing the iTunes library. Here's a full rundown on available templates:
-Essentials to connect hotkeys and keywords to script and AppleScript actions
-Show Alfred with pre-filled content
-Launch files and apps with hotkeys or keywords
-Web and URL templates to launch your favourite websites
-System Commands
-Clipboard templates
-iTunes Commands
The new version of the app also includes enhanced customization support via themes and improved contact search capabilities.
Themes are now more flexible to allow you to make Alfred as big or small as you need. Create a new theme, then choose the fonts, sizes, colours, corner shape and spacing you prefer. Make your theme as beautiful (or as wacky!) as you want.
Alfred 2.0 is not yet available through the Mac App Store, but Alfred users can get it immediately from the website.

Article Link: Alfred Updated to Version 2.0 with Improved Customization and Workflows

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
This is news about Mac related stuff??? What is this crap doing on macrumors? It is all about iOS!!!
/sarcasm

Seriously though, very happy for this update

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Such a great app! I've been using the PowerPack version for months and it's great. Way better than spotlight.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Alfred replaced Launch Bar for me a year or so ago. This new workflow system looks interesting although the support web page could be a little easier to follow...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Alfred replaced Launch Bar for me a year or so ago. This new workflow system looks interesting although the support web page could be a little easier to follow...

If you look over some examples in the workflows section of their forums, it will become more clear. There are some really slick workflows posted there already from the beta.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I use this app all the time at work. Being able to load bookmarks, search various things as well as the most robust keyboard mapping tool makes this my top app.

I've gotten so accustomed to it in my workflow I'd be lost if they stopped making it.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I got this a while back for free during a promotion, have never used it. I've tried, but I might be missing the point (?)

My bad, it is currently free. I could have sworn there was a time when it wasn't. Oh well.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
So is it better than version 1 ? Does it take up less ram?

I have the power pack and I am wondering if I should upgrade.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I got this a while back for free during a promotion, have never used it. I've tried, but I might be missing the point (?)

My bad, it is currently free. I could have sworn there was a time when it wasn't. Oh well.

The basic version has always been free, but the Powerpack is not free.

So is it better than version 1 ? Does it take up less ram?

I have the power pack and I am wondering if I should upgrade.

I don't recall Alfred 1 using a lot or RAM, but here is Alfred 2 on my system.

IMO the new workflows available alone make it worthwhile.

screenshot20130314at140.png

mjcharlton71

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Hands down one of the most useful apps I've ever had the pleasure of using... makes work and play on my Macs a joy, even more so with some of the amazing workflows available and the ability to craft your own.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Is v2 a free u/g from v1.x? Just asking as "Check For Update" in the app still says I'm on the latest version.

Can't wait for the update on the MAS. :)

Not sure if it will be. The current version on MAS is 1.2, but the latest v1.x version is 1.3.3 - so why isn't that on the MAS? Perhaps they aren't distributing via MAS any more?

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Is v2 a free u/g from v1.x? Just asking as "Check For Update" in the app still says I'm on the latest version.

Not sure if it will be. The current version on MAS is 1.2, but the latest v1.x version is 1.3.3 - so why isn't that on the MAS? Perhaps they aren't distributing via MAS any more?

The basic App is free, but if you have the power pack installed, you will need to buy the upgrade to enable the power pack features in V2, unless you qualify for a free power pack upgrade. It was £10 for me to upgrade my Power pack 1 to Power Pack 2 Licence.

nsfw

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2009
Anyone who's followed this app for a while, does it ever go on sale?

Nevermind.. I bought it. Couldn't resist looking at the workflows. Pretty cool and powerful.

Last edited:

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Nice update to Alfred, impressed. $22 dollars a bit pricey for the powerpack though

----------

I hear you can have this new version and the old one installed at the same time.

This is true, V2 is rewritten and a completely new app

Last edited:

lakshwadeep

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Nice update to Alfred, impressed. $22 dollars a bit pricey for the powerpack though

----------

This is true, V2 is rewritten and a completely new app

You might check out Quicksilver. It's completely free and very powerful.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
how did I not even know about the power pack, I've been using alfred for years.. Mac App Store has dumbed me down haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.