Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Look, this is the history of Mac OS X / OS X releases:

Mac OS X 10.1 Puma: July 18, 2001
Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar: May 6, 2002

Mac OS X 10.3 Panther: June 23, 2003
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger: May 4, 2004

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: June 26, 2006
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: June 9, 2008

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: October 20, 2010
OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: February 16, 2012

Interesting analysis. Your dates seem to be a bit off because Leopard was released Oct of 2007(I know because I got my first Mac two months later. Unless you are talking about annoucement date). I didn't realize that the release cycle happened in Tic-Toc fashion.

dove

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2009
Kinda weird how Apple probably wont show it early.

Lion and ML both got previews before WWDC.

They can't really not show a preview. Developers need time to integrate new OS features and their app. Also, it's crucial that developers beta test the new OS X before it is released.

By the way—is it just me or has Apple been unusually quiet recently? The iPhone 5 was announced in September and the iPad Mini was announced in October. I don't think they have announced anything since then!

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
By the way—is it just me or has Apple been unusually quiet recently? The iPhone 5 was announced in September and the iPad Mini was announced in October. I don't think they have announced anything since then!

true... although the reason is obvious. Let's review

In the Sept/Oct timeframe Apple announced/released/updated the...
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini
iMac
iPad
iPad Mini
iPhone 5
iPod Touch
iPod Nano
iOS 6
Plus, OS X 10.8 was just released like a month before then.

That drains the pipeline quite a bit... And all the Macs are basically just waiting on the new intel chips.

Appls HAS actually provided a small processor bump to the rMBP and released the new 128GB iPad. So those are a couple of minor things

Mac Pro is pretty much the only option for Apple to update currently... unless they unveil a new product, but nothing seems that imminent..

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
why?

does apple usually announce new major OS one week after?

Not necessarily. As people have said in other threads, the amount of time and care put into 10.8.3 could indicate that Apple is trying to iron out a large number of the remaining problems before allocating additional resources to 10.9's development.

The reason I predict March 21 is simply based on the announcement of Mountain Lion. 10.7.3 came out on February 1, with an unveiling on the 16th.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Maps. Siri. A few more features that are on iOS but also can be ported badly to OS X. App Store improvements.

I probably won't be getting it, OS X has turned into something I no longer like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.