Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
sorry to bump up 2 similar topics, but besides crushed whites problem, does 10.8.3 fix the blurry fonts issue?

Thx.

I can't speak for the late-2012 owners who installed 10.8.3 because I own a 2011 model but from what I read the blurry fonts and/or blocky fonts issues might be resolution related. In other words you might need to change your Mac's output screen resolution to one that is more compatible with your particular HDTV or monitor to solve those problems. Then again that could be wrong and maybe the crushed whites could be preventing you from properly seeing the details in the fonts...so it's a relevant question here nevertheless.

wongja

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
i am home now, upgraded to 10.8.3 and i can tell color is much better, but font are still blur...

johnscully

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2010
Unfortunately my monitor still seems to suffer from the 'crushed whites' problem via HDMI, but I must admit that i tried some fixes and calibrations in the last couple of weeks which perhaps screwed up my monitor settings a bit under OSX.

How can i reset all my monitor settings so that I can start from scratch to solve the 'crushed whites' problem? I want the monitor settings under OSX to be like I just made a clean install of Mountain Lion. Any idea?

By the way: my monitor is the Hyundai W241D.

imobber

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
Fixed in 10.8.3!

I took a before and after screenshot to show the difference. Maybe not the best of pictures but it has certainly made things better for me.

Attachments

• 10.8.2.jpg
    10.8.2.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 10.8.3.jpg
    10.8.3.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 216

JamSandwich

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Glad to see this is fixing the issue for people. I don't know how I could have lived with it for this long.

My fix was finding a monitor I liked that used DVI. All in all, it meant spending a little more on my dual monitor setup (but I really like the new panels compared to the others I tried) and investing in a converter (HDMI->DVI).

wongja

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
make and model of tv or monitor you use please. if one of us has the same as you with the same problem or no problem we may be able to help you.

I am using the late 2012 mac mini and sony playstion 3d display, thanks in advance

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
its a quad 2012. 4gb ram , i upgraded to 8gb but 1066 MHz only. (Bought them long ago for my 2010 iMac 27")

and yes thats my display...

But i just got a 32" HX750 and gonna be delivered tomorrow :p

yeah my suggestion is 2- fold get better ram. try a different screen.

on amazon a lot of people have said that screen the 3d from sony is brutal.

wongja

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
yeah my suggestion is 2- fold get better ram. try a different screen.

on amazon a lot of people have said that screen the 3d from sony is brutal.

Yeah, better ram is a must lol.
I am gonna upgrade to a pair of 8GB ram later. (But not now coz I just spent alot on the new mac mini and TV...)

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Yeah, better ram is a must lol.
I am gonna upgrade to a pair of 8GB ram later. (But not now coz I just spent alot on the new mac mini and TV...)

yeah short cash happens to us all. try the mini out with the new screen. But 1066 speed vs 1600 speed will be noticed . 1333 vs 1600 you could get away with.

this is one of the fastest 8gb sets. it also works in 2011 mini and 2012 mini at 1600 speed.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Modu...63448377&sr=8-1&keywords=kingston+plug+n+play

it is 58 to 69 a set

I would tell you to go to the Marketplace classified section here on this site, but you may be too new to access it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/132/

this is the link.

wongja

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
hi all, thanks for everyone's opinion...
I can't stand for the hdmi quality anymore and went to purchase a MiniDP to VGA adaptor @ apple store.

Everything is perfect now. (Quality is 10x times better)

unfortunately I don't have the 3.5mm cable at home therefore using the built-in speaker... :mad:

Thanks anyway ! :D

thejamesjr

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
I purchased the Mac Mini about a month ago. Used it for about a week (BlueRigger HDMI cable connected to a Dell 2408WFP Ultra Sharp Monitor) before realizing how whites and colors appear washed out or too bright.

The first thing I tried was calibrating, which didn't help at all. Thought perhaps it was the HDMI cable, so I purchased an Apple HDMI cable but had the same results. I did a Google search and noticed people having similar issues and a fix was the use the included DVI/HDMI adapter. This worked and resolved everything, but I would still prefer using a single HDMI cable!

Since the Apple OS X 10.8.3 software update this past week, I connected the HDMI cable to my monitor. It seems to have fixed the issue, whites and colors no longer appear to be washed out, nor too bright.

The only problem is still with my monitor settings,
Input Color Format: YPbPr (cannot select RGB)
Color Settings Mode: Video (cannot select Graphics)

Does anyone know why this is?

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
This is normal since you are using an HDMI connection. You're in the video signal realm now.

Since the Apple OS X 10.8.3 software update this past week, I connected the HDMI cable to my monitor. It seems to have fixed the issue, whites and colors no longer appear to be washed out, nor too bright.

The only problem is still with my monitor settings,
Input Color Format: YPbPr (cannot select RGB)
Color Settings Mode: Video (cannot select Graphics)

Does anyone know why this is?

Tomales

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Denmark
Hi'

Sorry for posting an off topics question (but still related somehow).

Planning a new mac mini (running bootcamp Win 7 or 8) and before buying I am trying to figure out if the problems are software or hardware related.

So does the problems also exist when running bootcamp Windows ?

(reason for mac mini: form factor, design and access to Apple OS)

Thank you for answers.

// Tomales

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.