Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenetic

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
7000 Post! Let's play nice and fix this issue. This issue is giving me second thoughts about getting the Retina display.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Let me guess...this is somehow not Apple's fault... right? It has to be someone else's fault!

Correct and after about another page of comments about this particular topic, someone(s) will change the topic so that we can have another round of Apple vs. Samsung, "die Samsung die", "why doesn't Apple just buy Samsung", etc. Before we get to that, I'll offer that I think it's sad that us consumers have to hope to get the "good" screen and as someone who owns a lot of Apple stuff and some Samsung stuff, I find both companies make really great tech. They're probably top of their respective games and it's too bad that there are some issues that are making them increasingly move toward divorcing each other.

Yes, I know... I know... "Samsung stole all of their ideas from Apple," "only Apple can innovate," and on and on. Nevertheless, Samsung makes great screens and even the latest rounds of AX chips seem to still be coming from Samsung. Apple products made of Samsung components seem to be the "hope"d for, "I'm one of the lucky ones" cited time after time, in product after product.

I wish the differences could be fully resolved and two companies good (maybe best?) at what they do could be partners in making the best consumer tech again. While I'm not just finding fault with either one of the partners here in isolation, they are much better as a couple than they are as singles.

Wormwolf

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2013
Wouldn't be surprised if Samsung is behind this. Would be a business strategy that is quite typical for them. Tax evasion, bribery and price fixing - why not a proxy lawsuit to smear two competitors in one go.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-became-the-giant-that-ate-korea-8510588.html

But it's hard to deny that LG panels suck ass. As an example i have at work some LG Flatron E2342 and in the same price range (at the time of buying) ViewSonic VA2212. The difference is like night and day.

Shasterball

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Perhaps you missed this. Unless you are within the 30 days, you are sol.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455

That is a hit or miss, dude. And not all countries have Apple Stores, or such stores nearby.

That's fair enough. In NYC, they are pretty good about helping you out. Even if beyond the 30 days...

I'm not saying Apple's silence is the right approach. Not at all. I'm saying that, from what I have heard, you can likely get the problem addressed quickly and without major issues even beyond 30 days.

XtraSmiley

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
That is a hit or miss, dude. And not all countries have Apple Stores, or such stores nearby.

I guess I would have to ask, why not return it to wherever you bought it from?

I'm not saying this is the best solution, but a lawsuit?

Also, I watched the video, the ghosting seems to be bad, but only if they go from bright white screens to grey. How is it in real life?

Eh, whatever, I think if enough people bitch about it, LG will have more pressure on them and I guess that's good for the next MacBook I'll buy...

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Correct and after about another page of comments about this particular topic, someone(s) will change the topic so that we can have another round of Apple vs. Samsung, "die Samsung die", "why doesn't Apple just buy Samsung", etc. Before we get to that, I'll offer that I think it's sad that us consumers have to hope to get the "good" screen and as someone who owns a lot of Apple stuff and some Samsung stuff, I find both companies make really great tech. They're probably top of their respective games and it's too bad that there are some issues that are making them increasingly move toward divorcing each other.

Yes, I know... I know... "Samsung stole all of their ideas from Apple," "only Apple can innovate," and on and on. Nevertheless, Samsung makes great screens and even the latest rounds of AX chips seem to still be coming from Samsung. Apple products made of Samsung components seem to be the "hope"d for, "I'm one of the lucky ones" cited time after time, in product after product.

I wish the differences could be fully resolved and two companies good (maybe best?) at what they do could be partners in making the best consumer tech again. While I'm not just finding fault with either one of the partners here in isolation, they are much better as a couple than they are as singles.

Yes but the point is, this isn't Samsung's fault.

It's Apple's problem. They own it!

This is a good lawsuit, and I am generally against lawsuits. It's about time Apple started being the proper customer support company they used to be known for.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm sure Apple will just end up refunding him his cost. Waste of time lawsuits are a staple of the American way of law!

Actually - this is exactly why someone sues a company. To get results if other avenues don't work. How would that be wasting time?

Wouldn't be surprised if Samsung is behind this. Would be a business strategy that is quite typical for them. Tax evasion, bribery and price fixing - why not a proxy lawsuit to smear two competitors in one go.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-became-the-giant-that-ate-korea-8510588.html

Nice article describing what happens to you if you speak up against Samsung in South Korea.

Oh jeez - take off the tin foil hat already.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Give no Quarter!

Apple needs to fight this. Loudly and publicly.

They need to reiterate that if you choose to sue Apple, you will be destroyed.

Loudly and publicly.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I guess I would have to ask, why not return it to wherever you bought it from?

Return policy and customer service from a retail seller of Apple products is usually horrible, in my experience. At best you'll get 1 week from the purchase date where you can replace it for another one, if it is defective. Then there is the giant hazzle of telling them it is defective. Good luck explaining to generic reseller X about image retention, or trying to show them forum threads. Ah, jeez.

Been there, done that. I only buy from Apple Store, or Apple Store Online, in the future.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
How so, they are selling faulty equipment. Not sure why so many people give Apple a pass on these type of things.

The other guy is not giving them a pass.... he's just stating that if the hardware you have is faulty... take it back. Apple tends to be real good at replacing or refunding.

Apple hardware isn't flawless.. no complex products are.

This lawsuit is silly.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
Not true. Apple stores will replace your ghosted screen for free.

Are you sure? My friend who went to an Apple store in London was told that it's an intermittent problem that shouldn't cause him much trouble, and only after arguing with them for a bit, they said they will "look into it", but he hasn't heard from them ever since. Maybe he was just unlucky though.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
assuming your local apple store (if you have one) will not replace or refund - this class action (sadly, it's usually only the lawyers that win, not the consumers) completely justifies itself.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I don't get why people are saying that it's overkill to sue Apple over it. It's great. Apple needs to wake up and they can't just release products where it's a chance-game if you get a computer with the screen it should come with or if you get a computer with a faulty screen.

True, you can just go to Apple Store and get it replaced.. but that won't stop Apple from selling faulty machines.

If they realize that people aren't as stupid as they think people are, then that's a good thing. Better quality products being released is not a bad thing!

1Azhar

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
What about the iPad??

I hope they do a class-action regarding iPad screens too.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
7000 Post! Let's play nice and fix this issue. This issue is giving me second thoughts about getting the Retina display.

This issue is already fixed in 2013 models - I had a 2012 model with an LG screen and ghosting - I sold it while it was still under warranty and I have have a 2013 model with LG screen but this time without ghosting - plus the 2013 model doesn't over heat like the 2012 version did.

You expect there is be some flaws in a new product like that, that's the risk of being an early adopter - although granted there was a lot of issues in the 2012 model.

The only known wide issue with the 2013 model was the fan randomly going off while the mac is still cold and the fan sounding like a rocket taking off - but this issue has been fixed with the latest software update (at least it solved it for me) - so as far as I am aware no wide scale issues with 2013 model.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
You must not have read the entire article. Apple does not acknowledge this as a problem. And will gladly show you the door out.

Bull. I I took mine into apple showed them the ghosting and they swapped it no questions asked. LG's fault.

As this is the case, how can there be a lawsuit?

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Perhaps you missed this. Unless you are within the 30 days, you are sol.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455

From the webpage:

This is normal behavior

Har! That's right Apple, just deny that there is a problem.

You can also use a screen saver

A Screen Saver? Do they even make those anymore? Flying Friggin Toasters? WTF!

Apple needs to stop this bullsheeting of the customers, admit that they used some bum components, and fix the friggin problem!

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
I don't get why people are saying that it's overkill to sue Apple over it. It's great. Apple needs to wake up and they can't just release products where it's a chance-game if you get a computer with the screen it should come with or if you get a computer with a faulty screen.

True, you can just go to Apple Store and get it replaced.. but that won't stop Apple from selling faulty machines.

If they realize that people aren't as stupid as they think people are, then that's a good thing. Better quality products being released is not a bad thing!

Honestly even with the best quality controls, you do sometimes get a few screens pass. If you are manufacturing over 10 million of the same item and you check even 1 in 100, the first might right, but the second might be faulty. Apple can easily just get rid of this lawsuit by just replacing the screen for free, but sadly to get corporations to do things, they have to be sued first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.