Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sleepy01

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
So there I was, looking for my phone tonight, tried calling it etc.. No sounds. Then I realized hmmmm I am washing my jeans at the moment.... could it be ?? Yes, I just washed my new Iphone 5.

What the hell. Come on

Sleepy01

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
It's in a bag of rice right now. I am planning on leaving it in there for 4 days.

Sleepy01

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
I have in in a ziploc bag of rice like I read on the internet and I put it on a small lamp to keep it warm. I see condensation on both front and rear camera faces. Had to scrape off a few rice grains out from the thunderbolt port. Will check again tonight.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Considering the water, detergent, and spin cycles, the likelihood of your phone working is insanely slim.

Let this be a lesson, next time, check your pockets.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
I have in in a ziploc bag of rice like I read on the internet and I put it on a small lamp to keep it warm. I see condensation on both front and rear camera faces. Had to scrape off a few rice grains out from the thunderbolt port. Will check again tonight.

Thunderbolt port?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
It's in a bag of rice right now. I am planning on leaving it in there for 4 days.

Since you are going to leave it in so long you may want to stop at a craft store and get some silica gel. It is used for drying flowers, and it works even better than rice.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
OP, you can check the liquid indicator found in the SIM card slot to determine if the warranty is still valid or voided. Sent from my iPhone 5.

ArizonaKid

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Arizona
Sorry for your luck, this really sucks. Hopefully this serves as a good example the value of Apple Care+. Obviously not a good example to you.

I use a Nexus 4 so the cost benefit of insurance isn't worth it after the premium and then deductible.

However, the iPhone 5 is a $650 dollar phone. I recommend Apple Care+ to everyone getting an iPhone (and iPad); certainly got it on my wife's iPhone 5.

$100 bucks up front and $45 each accident is the best insurance deal around. Plus the added benefit of Apple service support is awesome.

Hope the rice trick works. There is a chance it could becuase I've seen it work before.

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
Thunderbolt port?

Probably meant Lightning port... OR

Is that a Mac Mini in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

jk.... I am also one who thinks the rice will not work... tough break OP...

The accelerotmeter, and the GPS must have had a BALL in that machine.

Sleepy01

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
OP, you can check the liquid indicator found in the SIM card slot to determine if the warranty is still valid or voided. Sent from my iPhone 5.

Hmmm, this is a good idea and I will check. I see some condensation left over on both cameras so I will keep it in the rice longer. Hopefully if the condensation is gone it would signal most of the water inside the phone is gone and I can try turning it on. I feel somewhat strange without a phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.