Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Does refarmed mean that there's 4G in my area instead of 3G or Edge? I currently get 4G on my android phone with T-Mobile's 4G monthly; it runs around 3 to 5 MB per second.

Refarmed areas have HSPA+ 4G on the same frequencies that AT&T uses. This means that you can get these speeds using an unlocked iPhone.

ImaVeggie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Does anyone know if I could join a friend's Verizon Share Everything Plan with the Straight Talk iPhone 5 sold by Walmart? Would I then be getting LTE?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Does anyone know if I could join a friend's Verizon Share Everything Plan with the Straight Talk iPhone 5 sold by Walmart? Would I then be getting LTE?

I don't think that Verizon will activate it. I know that the LTE won't work as it's disabled.

ImaVeggie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I don't think that Verizon will activate it. I know that the LTE won't work as it's disabled.

Oh, so the LTE is disabled. Bummer.

Since this phone doesn't use a SIM card and has already been activated, if I were to insert one to test things out (say a new Tmobile Nano or a cut down prepaid one), what would happen to the Straight Talk settings?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Oh, so the LTE is disabled. Bummer.

Since this phone doesn't use a SIM card and has already been activated, if I were to insert one to test things out (say a new Tmobile Nano or a cut down prepaid one), what would happen to the Straight Talk settings?

The SIM card will take over. Things will go back to the Straight Talk settings once you remove the SIM. if you install an APN profile to use the SIM I imagine that you would need to delete it after removing the SIM.

mckey

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2009
I,m on net10 AT&T BYOD with my unlocked iPhone 5 and live in a pretty rural area.Unfortunately I'm stuck with edge data at my residence AT&T coverage sucks if you live out in the country.....I use my home computer wifi to keep my cellular data usage down so it's not really that big a deal for me.:)

ImaVeggie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
The SIM card will take over. Things will go back to the Straight Talk settings once you remove the SIM. if you install an APN profile to use the SIM I imagine that you would need to delete it after removing the SIM.

Good to know I can try some SIM cards without ruining the phone.

A couple more questions... Apple only sells the Unlocked A1428, that I could use on AT&T and T-Mobile right? Would that give me LTE on AT&T?

Does Best Buy sell an an unlocked A1429? One that I could use on Verizon LTE?

Last question of this post... Can you bring your own phone to use with Verizon's share everything plan?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Good to know I can try some SIM cards without ruining the phone.

A couple more questions... Apple only sells the Unlocked A1428, that I could use on AT&T and T-Mobile right? Would that give me LTE on AT&T?

Does Best Buy sell an an unlocked A1429? One that I could use on Verizon LTE?

Last question of this post... Can you bring your own phone to use with Verizon's share everything plan?

Apple's site claims that the unlocked A1428 is HSPA+ only, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens to work with AT&T LTE.

If you want Verizon LTE you need to buy a Verizon A1429. You can buy one for full price and add it to a share everything plan.

The AT&T Mobile Share and Verizon Share Everything plans are a good deal financially if you can get 5 people on the plan and get the device subsidy.

ImaVeggie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Apple's site claims that the unlocked A1428 is HSPA+ only, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens to work with AT&T LTE.

If you want Verizon LTE you need to buy a Verizon A1429. You can buy one for full price and add it to a share everything plan.

The AT&T Mobile Share and Verizon Share Everything plans are a good deal financially if you can get 5 people on the plan and get the device subsidy.

Where can I get a Verizon A1429 at full price? I thought that's what I was getting with the Walmart Straight Talk one; but LTE is disabled?

My friend has Verizon's Share Everything with 3 people. So with 5 you get iPhone for $199? Could I join their plan with an unlocked A1429 and get LTE?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Where can I get a Verizon A1429 at full price? I thought that's what I was getting with the Walmart Straight Talk one; but LTE is disabled?

My friend has Verizon's Share Everything with 3 people. So with 5 you get iPhone for $199? Could I join their plan with an unlocked A1429 and get LTE?

You'll have to buy the Verizon A1429 from Verizon at full price. If he's adding a line for you to join his share everything plan then you can get the phone for $199 with a 2 year contract instead of full price.

ImaVeggie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
You'll have to buy the Verizon A1429 from Verizon at full price. If he's adding a line for you to join his share everything plan then you can get the phone for $199 with a 2 year contract instead of full price.

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. My friend mentioned doing this a few months ago; I'm going to ask her if she's still willing to do so. It would be $40 month, right?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yeah it's $40 per month just for the phone. It's up to your friend whether or not he wants you to share payments on the data plan though.

ImaVeggie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Yeah it's $40 per month just for the phone. It's up to your friend whether or not he wants you to share payments on the data plan though.

I'd definitely offer $ on data. I just can't justify paying $650 for a phone and $45 a month for 3G service giving me on average 1 MBps down and .2 up.

Again... Thanks so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.