Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I know the iPad mini just came out today. But has anyone came across any back covers that work with the mini Smart Cover?

Loved the combination of a smart cover and an Incipio Smart Feater on my other iPads. But Incipio said they "might" make a mini version

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I know the iPad mini just came out today. But has anyone came across any back covers that work with the mini Smart Cover?

Loved the combination of a smart cover and an Incipio Smart Feater on my other iPads. But Incipio said they "might" make a mini version

I'm really hoping for the Incipio Smart Feather. Incipio is so slow with manufacturing and release tho, ugh.

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
There's like 2 options on amazon but sounds like one of them was made wrong.

I'm in the same boat though. Just want an affordable back cover that adds grip and allows me to use my Smart Cover.

I have a TPU cover for the back that fits it really well but isn't cut for use with the Smart Cover. I'm debating just cutting that to make it work since it only cost about $7 shipped but would much rather find something for $10 or less that's made for Smart Cover use.

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
I ordered these 2 cases for my mini and I've ordered the same style case for my ipad 2 from the sad site and the quality is good. It's also free shipping and you can find coupon codes online for an extra 10% off. They have rubber and hard shel cases. And the good thing is you can both for under 10$!

http://www.tmart.com/Crystal-Mate-Hard-Back-Cover-Case-For-iPad-Mini-Transparent-Color_p164850.html

http://www.tmart.com/Crystal-Mate-Hard-Back-Cover-Case-For-iPad-Mini-Transparent-Color_p164850.html

Hope you find what your looking for!

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I emailed the guys at Caudabe and here's what they said:

"Fattytail,

Thanks for your email! You'll be pleased to know that we're busy working on covers for the iPad mini, including something very similar to our bestselling Caudabe Shell iPad back cover.

Feel free to join our mailing list and we'll let you know when new products arrive!"

I've got the Caudabe Shell mentioned in the email for my 3. If they can make something that's EXACTLY like that for the iPad mini, I'll be all over it like flies on you-know-what. Of course, I also need a mini first, but that's just a minor detail... :D

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
I ordered these 2 cases for my mini and I've ordered the same style case for my ipad 2 from the sad site and the quality is good. It's also free shipping and you can find coupon codes online for an extra 10% off. They have rubber and hard shel cases. And the good thing is you can both for under 10$!

Hope you find what your looking for!
just looking at the pics they have... doesn't look like the smartcover would fit with either case.

anyone found a back cover that works well with the smartcover??? :|

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Thanks. Just what I was looking for. How's the fit and finish? Any issues you'd like to see resolved?

The fit is superb. What I don't understand is why the left side is exposed.

8168546952_7b76720e66_z.jpg

This is a temporary case, I'm waiting on Incipio's feather.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
The fit is superb. What I don't understand is why the left side is exposed.

This is a temporary case, I'm waiting on Incipio's feather.

Thanks. Yes as the poster said above, that's the place for the Smart Cover. I prefer this set up to the permanently hinged cover as I like to take the front off when reading or browsing the web.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I ordered a case from a Etsy merchant, specifically stating that the case I ordered should be big enough for the iPad mini and the Smart Cover. She said it would be. Got it today, and darn if it doesn't fit. Not even the mini alone fits to where I can zip the case closed. That's why I don't typically order to stuff like this online.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I ordered a case from a Etsy merchant, specifically stating that the case I ordered should be big enough for the iPad mini and the Smart Cover. She said it would be. Got it today, and darn if it doesn't fit. Not even the mini alone fits to where I can zip the case closed. That's why I don't typically order to stuff like this online.

Just wanted to update that the maker for this case gladly took back the first case she sent me, and made a refitted the size of the case to fit both the Mini and the Smart Cover. The case great and will be useful when I'm traveling.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I emailed the guys at Caudabe and here's what they said:

"Fattytail,

Thanks for your email! You'll be pleased to know that we're busy working on covers for the iPad mini, including something very similar to our bestselling Caudabe Shell iPad back cover.

Feel free to join our mailing list and we'll let you know when new products arrive!"

I've got the Caudabe Shell mentioned in the email for my 3. If they can make something that's EXACTLY like that for the iPad mini, I'll be all over it like flies on you-know-what. Of course, I also need a mini first, but that's just a minor detail... :D

Looks like your wish was granted: http://www.amazon.com/Caudabe-Shell...e=UTF8&qid=1363374969&sr=1-4&keywords=caudabe

I have an Incipio Smart Feather on my mini now, but I might try this Mini Shell. I also got the Shell for my iPad 4 and it's quality stuff.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Looks like your wish was granted: http://www.amazon.com/Caudabe-Shell...e=UTF8&qid=1363374969&sr=1-4&keywords=caudabe

I have an Incipio Smart Feather on my mini now, but I might try this Mini Shell. I also got the Shell for my iPad 4 and it's quality stuff.

I got the Caudabe Mini Shell. Build quality is excellent, just like the Shell for the big iPad. Awesome price on Amazon as well. Only thing is I like detaching my Smart Cover every now and then, so I'm not sure if I like locking it on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.