Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

royf29

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
How do you backup and restore your note 2? You rebought all of your apps for android? What are you using instead of Photostream, iWork, iCloud, Garageband, iPhoto, Find my phone, Find my Friends, etc. etc.

Sorry, but you're not fooling anyone.

Photostream = dropbox (no need for wifi)
iwork = polaris office or any other office apps which are much better than iwork
icloud = dropbox (I currently have 68 Gb instead of 5) all for free
Garageband = never used it anyway. not even on my mac
Find my phone = Samsung Dive or anyother app
Find my friend = Google Latitude

The only point you are right about (and that I miss from my old iphone 4) is the backup.

Last edited by a moderator:

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
I really don't understand why most people in this forum believe that everything without an Apple logo on its case is mediocre by default.

Because people that frequent this forum have been attacked countless times with the argument of the cheap 400$ laptop from Acer AND the quality of the Thinkpad or other premium devices combined to flame about something they call "The Apple Tax".

For many, Apple is the overpriced company whose products sell mostly on hype, why else would someone buy a MacBook Pro Retina when he can get a gaming laptop for 600$ from Acer?

They ignore that the Apple tax is a misconception/lie - it doesn't exist.

Stuff of the level of quality that Apple products usually have simply costs more than the crap that Acer is selling (playing Minecraft was impossible on that Acer my parents got - not because of lack of performance, but because you couldn't see a thing at (in game) night - everything was either black or bright grey - worst display panel i've ever seen).

People buying cheap computers or gamers who often build their own PCs can't see the benefits that an Apple device has - for them they are simply overpriced and stuff like manufacturers guarantees worthless for the gamers - spending ten nights trying to find out why the PC always locks up under load is considered part of the fun by them.

Educated buyers know that well-built hardware costs more money and that Apple sometimes even offers the cheapest product in that category (few of the first generation Ultrabooks managed to match the MacBook air on price AND quality, the iPad was the cheapest tablet around and even the first Android tablets have been more expensive).

Yes, there are other companies that manufacture products of comparable quality - but their products cost roughly the same as the Apple products.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Of course Apple is scared by the GS4. But the iPhone isn't way better like Schiller says. For example, the other day I wanted to send multiple photos from my phone via email. On the iPhone I have to select each one one at a time to attach to my email which is annoying. On the Note 2 I can select as many as I want via check boxes and attach all at once. Viola!

You should learn how to use your iPhone before making these comparisons.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I read an article from ABC or NBC or one of those mainstream "news" sites, using the term "Trash Talking" in reference to Schiller's comments.

It made me laugh and think about major league sports banter.

I will be interesting to see if these becomes an integral part of how Apple competes in the marketplace going forward :)

iTravis

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
Really?

Yes and thats why your getting your ass kicked by Android.

I have owned the S3, Nexus 4 and the Note 2 and i can tell you fragmentation hasnt hurt my experience one bit.

PC's are fragmented to hell and they dont suffer. In fact OSX cant perform a single benchmark better than PC in any games.

Dont tell consumers its for their benefit you make the hardware and software. Its for your profit only

Exactly where do get the data to support such a ridiculous statement. This isn't me being a fanboy, this is called reading the facts. The ONLY reason why Android has a larger chunk of market saturation in phones is because it runs on free POS phones and top of the line phones, Apple didn't, especially from the beginning. In a phone by phone comparison, there is no single phone that out sales the iPhone. Also, as for OS's, iOS more than dominates android when you account for the iPad and iPod touches as well. Finally, lets stop all this tech talk and go to take balance sheets. Googles net worth as of this your is around $200 billion, Apples.....more like $500+ billion. Yeah, Apple could buy Google if they wanted to sell, the government would let them and more importantly, if Apple wanted to buy them. Get the facts straight before you get on here post about what you don't understand.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
Also, as for OS's, iOS more than dominates android when you account for the iPad and iPod touches as well. Finally, lets stop all this tech talk and go to take balance sheets. Googles net worth as of this your is around $200 billion, Apples.....more like $500+ billion.

Interesting I didn't know that. Could you please link to the source you got the information from that say that there are a more than dominant number of iOS devices than Android devices (worldwide) out there?

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Android Quality

Are there any JellyBean phones still out there with the installed in /mnt/asec issue? All 4.1.* phone could have it. And eight months after it was first reported it is not resolved by Google. Imagine the hell Apple would catch if they left an OS out there for eight months that caused certain paid apps to delete accounts and data.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Finally, lets stop all this tech talk and go to take balance sheets. Googles net worth as of this your is around $200 billion, Apples.....more like $500+ billion. Yeah, Apple could buy Google if they wanted to sell, the government would let them and more importantly, if Apple wanted to buy them. Get the facts straight before you get on here post about what you don't understand.

Clearly you have heard that Apple's stock price has crashed in the past 6 months.

Windows&Apple

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2013
My Nexus is up to date and I'm not limited to what I can and can't install on it. I'm free on my Nexus :)

Also, any issues with the stock OS is usually resolved with a simple rooting, nbd

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Also, any issues with the stock OS is usually resolved with a simple rooting, nbd

So, if rooting is the way to go on Android and it solves any problems - what about a jailbreak on iOS?

But of course you'll find some explanation why Android + root = free and iOS + jailbreak = still a dictatorship, hm?

There's not much difference between a rooted Android and a jailbroken iPhone.

And as the relatively low numbers of people who've jailbroken their iOS 6.1 device in the first days after the release of the jailbreak has shown - they reported 7 million jailbroken devices, which sound's like a lot, but it isn't if you remember that there are more than 300 million devices running iOS - people aren't really interested in that openness blah blah, people want to device to function and even on Windows, where they could change many things about how the OS looks (shell replacement or wallpapers and themes), most have never done something like that and many are even still running the default desktop background.

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
It's a bit funny that you think iWork is better than Google Drive. And Google has had a find my friends as a part of latitude for years. Honestly, I don't know a single person that uses either finding service on iOS or Android.

I never said that iWork was better than Google Drive. The only thing i said was that I use iWork, and Find My Friends... and asked why you thought it was funny that I did.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
Of course it is. Theres certain apps I cant run on older versions of Android and theres certain apps that cant run on older versions of ios.

Both platforms suffer from fragmentation.

----------

Ive got it on my Galaxy Tab 10.1. Cant speak for Samsung laptops as I dont have one.

Okay, even if I run in danger of repeating myself:

It is not about the presence of App X and Y, but about the behavior if that app exists on different OS and hardware versions, at least from a developer standpoint (which is the one that matters in this regard).

So when I run APPX on iOS4 and APPX on iOS6, the app should behave exactly the same. The problem gets serious when, for example, a hardware feature is missing. In this case the developer must check at any point wether that feature is present or not, which is a PITA

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2010
Why is that important for you change the GUI? Why? I am very happy with iOS and I hope the iTV comes with the same GUI as well. I can use my iDevices without looking at them. I know where to touch and when. The iOS is a front, a launcher for the really good apps. You just need the iOS launcher to use an app with a very different GUI so what gives!?? You want a different way to launch apps??? Give me a break. Go play with your droids boy this is iOS land here.

Maybe because iOS has been the same since launch. I am getting bore of the GUI.
And less of the hostility. I was voicing my opinion.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Almost everything has changed in the iOS GUI except the layout of the app icons. And that's even been enhanced with the addition of folders. How is that the same?

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL

Don't follow the droid-heads on this. The iOS of today is nothing like the first iPhone at all. When the iPhone launch it doesn't let you buy or install Apps, it was basically a short and controlled mobile version of OS X in fact it wasn't called iOS back then. Today is the most advance mobile OS out there it just the same form factor (and it needs to keep being like that) they mastered the touch and go functionality on a mobile device letting the apps do their magic on GUI not trying to be the center of attention.

If Apple changes the GUI it will be a mess, everything is simple and accurate and user friendly not like Android that is a mess to work with. I own both.

epollyon

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
It also is holding their users in place. Not a single serious business will ever consider using OS/X with Apple redesigning everything every couple of years and dropping backward compatibility.

There are probably more open source products that work on Windows than the ones that work on OS/X. PowerShell is probably the most powerful CLI/scripting language there is. Besides all regular scripting favorites (Perl, Tcl, Ruby eyc.) work on Wndows just fine.

There is a reason why xcode is free :D It's less powerful than Visual Studio Express (which is free).

I have. I am still waiting for Apple to come up with something. Remember that use of registry is optional on Windows. Nobody forces developers to use it for their software yet most of them prefer to do it anyways.

What does recover partition has to do with OS? Windows machines from HP and Dell have had recover partition forever. It's probably needed for OS/X because it's file system is not as fail proof as NTFS.

Is OS/X object oriented or something?

Classic UNIX permissions are way older than NTFS. Educate yourself on modern file permissions features (like ACLs). Wikipedia.

Plenty of options to do SSH on Windows.

Funny. X11 is one of the weakest links in UNIX. Just read recent news about how Linux community is struggling to replace X11 with something else.

And on and on. You just need to learn a little more about computing. In general, there is a lot more software for Windows than there is for OS/X.

sorry guy. i'm not following. what is os/x? and explain to me how a modern journaled unix FS is older than NTFS? i know you think you know more than me, but you are just another windows user without any linux experience. you are right that x11 is crap, but its the standard crap, so it makes it esaier to interact with GNU and x11 tunneling natively. You dind't know OS X (not os/x, this isn't os/2 over here) was obj-oriented? HELLO. bash and all the different shells are without a doubt or argument way more robust than powershell. just having power in the name doesn't mean much. with support for gnu and a native GCC apple has far more "legacy" support than windows does. cygwin is a POS and you can't argue otherwise. Lots of your perl and TCL will run through cygwin.dll anyway...

i don't mean to be insulting, but i've used windows, i've used linux, i've used bsd, i've used mac. they all have their own benefits. windows benefit is hardware independence. linux is just pure independence. mac is independence from having to deal with windows while reaping the benefits of full open source+GNU support, and not having to deal with hardware incompatibility. if that doesn't float your boat, by all means, stick with powershell...

oh, also, i hate the lack of symlinks and the way that drives are mounted. C:\ d:\ and all that stuff. very annoying

thx for the thorough reply

----------

1. Agreed
2. True, but you can get around this using third party software such as Activestate Perl/Python, etc.
3. Developers always have costs somewhere. You pay to play.
4. The windows registry has grown cumbersome, and I doubt that will change.
5. Currently in Windows 8 and 7, even if people aren't fond of them.
6. The APIs are object oriented...
7. An updated cow filesystem is in the works, but testing is still ongoing...
8. Download Putty
9. X11 is a protocol. Windows has it's alternatives.
10. ?
11. In windows blue I'm guessing
12. Already there
13. Already there
14. Always ongoing
15. This has been implemented for the "Metro" apps
16. Their backup software is fairly good, but also be made to run hourly.
17. They leave that to the OEMs, who know their hardware better than microsoft.
18. These improve in Windows 8, even if they are scattered a bit.
19-21. Windows 8 makes improvements/alternatives.

Windows 8 has its problems, but most of the above are not it. The legacy support and registry are big ones. The rest are simply solutions that will find their way in soon if they aren't already provided. What you basically asked for is that Windows adopt Unix/Linux standards. Windows is Windows, and they have greater need of making their operating system faster, more stable, and a better developer environment with improved APIs, etc. If Microsoft tries to make Windows just a different/improved form of UNIX/Linux, then they've already lost.

EDIT: For the record, I understand your point; I use my macs for the exact same reason you do.

Hey! thanks for informing me on the latest windows stuff. i haven't played with 8 at all, yet. I guess you nailed it on the head with 18. windows has a lot of things and 3rd party things, but they are a bit scattered. I feel like once you've gone *nix, its very hard to come back and run into road block after road block. theres ways to get around, but i end up asking myself if its worth it. right now the ideal set up is linux with custom hardware and mac os x MBP to control the machines. i ran several HPC labs before going to med school. now i sit in acrobat. acrobat pro for mac might be the worst piece of software i've ever used. it must be better on windows...

----------

As a technologically educated person, I must say that you are not that thechnologically educated.

First, the fact that Mac OS is written in objective C is not that big of a deal. It was developed by apple so it seems reasonable that be the main language used by apple. But, as language, is not that different from C++. Then you rant about drivers. You do realize that the fact that the drivers are built into the OS only means that it is harder to develop 3rd party drivers, right?
You may argue that windows doesn't have built in drivers and that led to BSoD. But due to the way that windows works atm, that is not an issue. BSoD happened because the OS let drivers execute at "su" mode and do whatever they want. Right now, that doesn't happen anymore.

To the remaining topics:
  • UNIX: yeah, unix is good. But I think you don't really understand why.
  • Terminal: of course you can do more on a terminal than on a GUI, regardless of the OS.
  • BSD Kernel: probably you are not aware of this, but windows kernel is actually good. the problem with windows is in the top layers, not in the kernel. That's why windows server is widely used.

And you might not be aware, but Dalvik is a process VM, not a system VM.
so your point is you don't have one except to dissect my language. i put /rant at the end to mean that my comment was written hastily without regard for minutia. Obj-c is a bigger deal than you think and this is why windows is pushing .net. obviously dalvik is a process VM, which, by the way, increases overhead since its running in parallel.

anyway dude i'm not gunna argue with you. why? because you dismiss me as uninformed. basically that means u are an ignorant person that comes to conclusions about people you don't know. see? i just did it to you :cool:

----------

As a technologically educated person, I must say that you are not that thechnologically educated.

First, the fact that Mac OS is written in objective C is not that big of a deal. It was developed by apple so it seems reasonable that be the main language used by apple. But, as language, is not that different from C++. Then you rant about drivers. You do realize that the fact that the drivers are built into the OS only means that it is harder to develop 3rd party drivers, right?
You may argue that windows doesn't have built in drivers and that led to BSoD. But due to the way that windows works atm, that is not an issue. BSoD happened because the OS let drivers execute at "su" mode and do whatever they want. Right now, that doesn't happen anymore.

To the remaining topics:
  • UNIX: yeah, unix is good. But I think you don't really understand why.
  • Terminal: of course you can do more on a terminal than on a GUI, regardless of the OS.
  • BSD Kernel: probably you are not aware of this, but windows kernel is actually good. the problem with windows is in the top layers, not in the kernel. That's why windows server is widely used.

And you might not be aware, but Dalvik is a process VM, not a system VM.

wait one more thing, lol. i called that latency thing didn't i? not tech savvy my ass :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.