Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Does anyone own or know a lot about them? I'm interested in getting into the hobby, but I don't have any friends that own them. I'm looking into the Ninja 250 as I've read that's a good starter bike. I'm just worried about the size as I'm fairly tall. I'm six foot tall and weigh just under 150 pounds. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look to buy or any information on them at all?

Thanks!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
First things first : get your permit. Just doing the MSF rider training should give you a good idea of if this is really for you or not.

Then, go to dealers and sit on bikes until you find one or a few you're comfortable on. Finally, read online about each (specs/pricing/accessories) before you make a purchase. Haggle.

Don't listen to the Internet or what it says and "so and so is a starter bike, so and so is an advanced bike", just get whatever you want and feel comfortable on, you can kill yourself on any bike anyhow. 600cc, 1000cc, 250cc, super sport or naked or sport-touring, at 60 mph, you're dead meat anyhow. Wear proper safety gear (or don't, your choice, some dress for the ride, others dress for the fall) and always remember one thing : there's 2 types of motorcycle drivers, those who have fallen and those who will.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Sound advice from Knight there.

Speaking from personal experience; I'm glad that I started out on something fairly sedate and easy handling as I made a few mistakes during the first year that may well have proved life changing or fatal had I been hooning about on something more powerful. Like Knight says though - you can kill yourself on a scooter. I don't subscribe to the whole "you're going to fall off" thing though. I know people who have ridden bikes for decades and have never fallen off.

Definitely get some training.

Mito

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
I´m not a rider myself but I have a friend who is. He has been riding 125CC Honda for 3 years and he is happy. He told me that it is more than enough for a city.

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
I started out on a 750cc sport bike...

... I would not recommend it. I am pretty sure it took me twice as long to learn to ride well as it would have if I would have started with a 250cc.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I started out on a 1700CC.

Like Knight recommended, take the course, you'll ride 250cc and see how weak they are.

I did the Harley Rider's Course as they supplied the bikes.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
The Ninja 250 is a great starter bike. It's impossible to say whether your height will be a problem, since how a bike fits is a very personal thing. I've seen a 6'4" guy with a ninja 250 before and I've heard a 5'6" guys say that it was too uncomfortable for him.

If you want a bike with a bigger frame, the Ninja 500 or Suzuki SV650 would be good.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I'm 6'3, I never rode before back in 2007 and just knew how to do it. I had to teach my friend how to ride because he went out and bought a brand new gxsr 600, popped a wheelie on accident and laid it down... That was after he told me to shut up he knew how to take off, lol. But my knees where up to my elbows on a 600.

Go take a course that provides 250's, then judge from there. Like I said I officially started on a 1700.

iCube

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Work your way up!

If you have experience riding a dirt bike when you were young, that's good! I rode most of my childhood and raced motocross for a long time. On the street I started out with a Ninja 250, then a year later I bought a Ninja 600, within that year I bought a GSXR750. Then I got my first 1000cc Yamaha R1, now I have two. My newest is a new generation crossplane crank engine R1. These motorcycles aren't for beginners. 192mph bone stock, 180 horsepower at the crank. Light, handles great, lots of torque! I have them on http://motorcycling-online.com

Attachments

• my-yamaha-r1s.jpg
    my-yamaha-r1s.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 62

raniel

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Ph
anyone can recommend a good sport bike for small guy(5'6"-5'7")? I want the yamaha r-6, but im not sure if the ride is comfortable for my size. thanks

iCube

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Go for the Yamaha R6!

anyone can recommend a good sport bike for small guy(5'6"-5'7")? I want the yamaha r-6, but im not sure if the ride is comfortable for my size. thanks

For your size a Yamaha R6 is a perfect tight comfortable package. The Suzuki GSXR600 is a longer reach for taller riders. The Kawasaki ZX-6R is a bit more comfortable than the Suzuki. The Honda CBR600RR isn't bad, but I ride a new Yamaha R1 no problem being 5'8", but a Suzuki GSXR1000 feels huge! Go for the Yamaha R6. Also, I highly recommend an Arai helmet, don't waste your money on a cheap helmet.
Here's a few pages of the bikes mentioned above. Enjoy, keep us posted.
http://motorcycling-online.com/Motorcycling-Online.com/Yamaha_R6_Sportbike.html
http://motorcycling-online.com/Motorcycling-Online.com/Suzuki_GSXR600_Sportbike.html
http://motorcycling-online.com/Motorcycling-Online.com/Kawasaki_Ninja_ZX-6R.html
http://motorcycling-online.com/Motorcycling-Online.com/Yamaha_R1_Sportbike.html
http://motorcycling-online.com/Motorcycling-Online.com/Arai_Motorcycle_Helmets.html

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Does anyone own or know a lot about them? I'm interested in getting into the hobby, but I don't have any friends that own them. I'm looking into the Ninja 250 as I've read that's a good starter bike. I'm just worried about the size as I'm fairly tall. I'm six foot tall and weigh just under 150 pounds. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look to buy or any information on them at all?

Thanks!

I think the ninja 250cc is a great learner bike. Small, not to crazy with speed and easy to handle. As KnightWRX stated, take rider training first and foremost. It will give you the skills to begin riding and let you see if you are interested in the sport. Been riding for 38 years myself. Always ride with proper gear and never without a helmet. You have to be very observant when riding because you are harder to see. Hence my comment about proper riding gear. You will always be learning. It took me a couple of months to learn my last new bike. Here is my current bike:

Attachments

• Yamaha R1_4.JPG
    Yamaha R1_4.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 71

Firstcherokeeki

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2013
I also suggest a smaller bike to start with. I would go with the Honda CBR250 because it is fuel injected vs the ninja 250, because it is still carbureted. I have been riding sport bikes for 15 years, racing for 6 years and I work at a dealership. I can't tell you how many times I have had this coversation. First steps take the course, then choose a bike Honda 250 or wait for the Kawi 300 that is coming out soon. After that take a sport bike riding class or experienced riders class. Also pick up the book or DVD by Keith Code called "twist of the wrist 2". Great info there on riding sport bikes.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I would start with a svs650 or whereabouts

I had the 250r and it's fun and all but found myself wanting a bit more fairly quickly

the sv650 or even the 650 are tame bikes....unlike that of the supersports like a r6, car, gsxr etc

raniel

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Ph
I think the ninja 250cc is a great learner bike. Small, not to crazy with speed and easy to handle. As KnightWRX stated, take rider training first and foremost. It will give you the skills to begin riding and let you see if you are interested in the sport. Been riding for 38 years myself. Always ride with proper gear and never without a helmet. You have to be very observant when riding because you are harder to see. Hence my comment about proper riding gear. You will always be learning. It took me a couple of months to learn my last new bike. Here is my current bike:

Thanks! your post is very helpful

iCube

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007

I thought you were interested in a good sportbike and was concerned if an R6 would be comfortable for your size.

I didn't know you were interested in a starter bike.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
If you have experience riding a dirt bike when you were young, that's good! I rode most of my childhood and raced motocross for a long time. On the street I started out with a Ninja 250, then a year later I bought a Ninja 600, within that year I bought a GSXR750. Then I got my first 1000cc Yamaha R1, now I have two. My newest is a new generation crossplane crank engine R1. These motorcycles aren't for beginners. 192mph bone stock, 180 horsepower at the crank. Light, handles great, lots of torque! I have them on http://motorcycling-online.com

Nice bikes! I have a nice blue Yamaha with a 1049cc triple in it, but mine is for going over a different surface.:) Yes it is TONS of fun!:D

Attachments

• 100_0155.JPG
    100_0155.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 58

iCube

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Nice!!!!!

Nice bikes! I have a nice blue Yamaha with a 1049cc triple in it, but mine is for going over a different surface.:) Yes it is TONS of fun!:D

Thanks!
That's Badass!! Oh I'm sure that monster pulls like an R1 or probably harder!!
I read that Yamaha is seriously aiming toward a triple R6 and R1 soon. :D

iCube

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Ninja 250 following an R1 and 999R!

The Ninja 250 is fun for sure, now it's actually a 300cc. I friend of mine with a Ninja 250 had a GoPro camera running while following me on my R1 and another friend of mine on his Ducati 999R. He was screaming that little 250 and he can hold some pretty good corner speed. It was his first time riding with us, we weren't pushing it at all so he could hang with us and get some video, after that ride he sold it and got a black Triumph 675. ;)

Here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRkRk72kLj8

Here's his black Triumph 675 in the second half of the page.
http://motorcycling-online.com/Motorcycling-Online.com/Triumph_Daytona_675_Triple.html

The red 675 belongs to my friend Wayne with the 999R. His race track pics are at
http://waynecombs.com He also owns the Aprilia RSV 1000 Tuono Racing Edition on my site.
http://motorcycling-online.com/Motorcycling-Online.com/Aprilia_RSV_1000_Tuono_Racing.html

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA
I'll give you advice.

Stay away from them.

You can be the best rider in the world. It doesn't matter how good you are if other people on the road suck.

I was run off the road back in '95. Fractured my femur and patella. Was on crutches for a year and a cane after that for 6 months.

Was medically discharged from a promising career in the USN.

Never made a full recovery, but I'm walking and can run.

It's all fun and games until you almost get killed from a negligent driver.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I'll give you advice.

Stay away from them.

You can be the best rider in the world. It doesn't matter how good you are if other people on the road suck.

I was run off the road back in '95. Fractured my femur and patella. Was on crutches for a year and a cane after that for 6 months.

Was medically discharged from a promising career in the USN.

Never made a full recovery, but I'm walking and can run.

It's all fun and games until you almost get killed from a negligent driver.

I am sorry to hear your experience. But that could also happen to anyone in a car or any other vehicle. The only thing you can do on your part is ride safely and defensively. A good school will teach you how to perfect these skills.

I personally prefer all-road bikes such as the BMW R1200GS. More comfort for long trips and over-all daily commuting.

My advice as a rider: start with a small engine. Even a 600cc engine may be too big to start with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.