Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFanBoy1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
Well I've had my iPod Touch 4th generation for one year as of yesterday. I've taken very good care of my iPod, and have no scratches or cracks whatsoever. I say this because, most people I know, have boughton either an iPhone or iPod and have cracked it within 6 months of owning it.

Anyways, recently I've had some troubles with the home button not working properly. Problems such as, double clicking the home to pull up the multitask feature, when instead the iPod thinks I'm only clicking the home button once. Another example is when I want to close an app in the background, while at the same time I'm in another app, so, when I try and pull up the multitask bar, the iPod will think I clicked the home button once and close out of the app I'm working in.

Anyone else had this problem with the iPod?

Thanks.

bigloudbang

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Yes, my iPod Touch has that issue. When i do use it, i use the assistive touch.

My IPT4 sits on the dock used as an alarm clock, weather device now I've got the IPT5.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Calibrate your home button..
Go to a stock app like weather
Hold power button like you shutting it down
Wait for slide to power off appears
Now that it appeared release the power button and hold the home button until the app closes

Your home button may or may not work better. My home button broke my my 4 last August. Good thing I had apple care.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
For a broken home button:

Do the calibration thing that has already been posted.

If problem persists:

Take some rubbing alcohol and drop a few drops on the home button. Click it a few times. The alcohol will seep in the crack and hopefully dissolve whatever gunk was under there.

This worked for me.

AppleFanBoy1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
Calibrate your home button..
Go to a stock app like weather
Hold power button like you shutting it down
Wait for slide to power off appears
Now that it appeared release the power button and hold the home button until the app closes

Your home button may or may not work better. My home button broke my my 4 last August. Good thing I had apple care.

Thanks so much! I don't know what else to say other then, it worked!

bloutrein

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Durban
I had the exact same problem on my 4G and I thought it is mechanical. The calibration fixed it.

Regarding the alcohol suggestion, I would be careful and rather unwilling using alcohol to do anything with my iPod touch. lol

akfgpuppet

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
The 831
I have the same problem too. I've tried calibrating it and it works for 10 minutes then its unresponsive again. I have two iPT4 and one is running iOS 5.1.1 and the other is running the latest ver. of iOS 6, so I was thinking it was a bug rather than a hardware problem? I haven't tried putting alcohol, but I'll try that when I get home.

I was gifted my iPod touch 4G for Christmas 2011. After about 7 months, It began having the same Intermittant Home button failure many others report. Repeated recalibrations have yielded mixed results. Not wishing to continue being frustrated by the Home button on my constant companion, I made an appointment for Genius Bar help at the nearest Apple retail store (unfortunately 1.5 hours from home) on Saturday, 3/16. I'll let y'all know what transpires and how much I had to pay, if anything, for the repair. I would be interested to hear anyone else's experience with Apple Retail and its Genius Bar.

Well, the news about the Genius Bar was as expected. The iPod was no longer in warranty, and there was no service available for this problem, so I bit the bullet and paid the $98 to replace it. I am using the Accessibility function to generally replace my Home Button so I don't tax it too much and have a repeat of the original problem. For anyone who doesn't know, here is the path to that function: Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> AssistiveTouch. I've enabled this on my daughter's iPod as well, because she doesn't want to have to pay to replace hers, however, I'm sure we'll catch it before the warrantee runs out this time. She likes it anyway, so that was easy! I'm getting so I like the many functions of the AssistiveTouch, especially the ScreenShot with one finger!

Last edited:

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
My IPT4 has this problem, the Home button is inconsistent. Finally decided to upgrade to IPT5 because it's slow as heck, only had 8 GB, the camera was lacking, and the battery didn't even last 4 hours. I get 2 days out of my 5 now with the same usage.

I have a question is for Thetonix -- How did you get that pretty, active, colorful graphic to appear by your username?? That is just the most interesting thing! I don't know what I'd like to put by my handle, but I'd like to try my hand at it. I'll bet there are others who would like to add some color to their posts -- perhaps Thetinix would like to be the one to instruct us?

Last edited:

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
I have a question is for Thetonix -- How did you get that pretty, active, colorful graphic to appear by your username?? That is just the most interesting thing! I don't know what I'd like to put by my handle, but I'd like to try my hand at it. I'll bet there are others who would like to add some color to their posts -- perhaps Thetinix would like to be the one to instruct us?

Once you post a certain amount of posts (I think 500, I forget) it will be available to change your avatar in your profile settings. Hope that clears that up. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.