Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipadmini2.jpg
Paul Semenza, an analyst at market research firm DisplaySearch, tells CNET that an iPad mini with Retina display could debut in the third or fourth quarter of this year.
"We're seeing potential in the third quarter of panel production for a higher-resolution iPad Mini," DisplaySearch analyst Paul Semenza told CNET today.

"When would the Mini be available? Could be third quarter or fourth quarter," he said, adding that the speculation is DisplaySearch's best guess based on supply chain data.
Unsurprisingly, Semenza tells CNET that his data points to a resolution of 2048 x 1536 pixels for the Retina display iPad mini, giving it the same number of pixels as the full-size iPad but at a higher density of 324 pixels per inch. He goes on to note that it would be a challenge for Apple and its display partners to pair that kind of display with the current iPad mini chassis at just 7.2 mm thick, hinting that the company may need to increase the device's thickness somewhat as it did when the full-size iPad moved to a Retina display.

Semenza says that LG Display is the strongest candidate to make the display, but that AU Optronics, Sharp, and Japan Display are other possibilities. Japan Display currently produces the display for the iPhone 5, but Semenza says that the company is looking at getting into tablets.

DisplaySearch's report falls in line with what KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted in mid-January, and Kuo has been fairly accurate in the past with his Apple product predictions.

iMore's Rene Ritchie has also been relatively accurate, and he reports that Apple is set to debut the new iPad mini as soon as next month. Ritchie says, however, that a Retina display "doesn't sound imminent", suggesting that an April iPad mini would not contain the higher-resolution display. If Apple moves to a biannual release for its tablets, the company could announce an iPad mini in April and a new Retina iPad mini later this year, matching all three predictions.

Article Link: Supply Chain Hints Suggest Retina iPad Mini Could Debut in Second Half of 2013

Sixtafoua

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Boston, MA
The whole twice-a-year upgrade cycle seems a bit desperate on apple's part. They know that a certain percentage of users will upgrade no matter what, so it seems like they're shipping garbage upgrades just because they're guaranteed a certain number of sales. :/

Last edited:

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I really want a retina iPad Mini, but not if it comes at the expense of battery life and/or additional weight. That may unfortunately be the case, might have to wait another generation.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
The whole twice-a-year upgrade cycle seems a bit desperate on apple's part. They know that a certain percent of users will upgrade no matter what, so it seems like they're shipping garbage upgrades just because they're guaranteed a certain number of sales. :/

I think they're trying to be less predictable in the release schedule.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The whole twice-a-year upgrade cycle seems a bit desperate on apple's part. They know that a certain percentage of users will upgrade no matter what, so it seems like they're shipping garbage upgrades just because they're guaranteed a certain number of sales. :/

In what way is a retina Mini a "garbage" upgrade? I know lots of people wating on a Mini purchase for just that reason, and I'm one of them. Plus, you don't even know what else it would have.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
People keep expecting revolutionary updates. But you can only do so much with tablets and phones. There is no more revolutionary updates, people need to get used to spec bumps and small touches.

There's always a hoard of people complaining that the next iPad/iPhone doesn't have something revolutionary like holograms or augmented reality or something. If you're looking for the next thing that will wow you don't expect to find it with the next phone or tablet update (from either Apple or its competitors); at least not in the near future.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Google will come out with a high resolution Nexus first mostly like introduced at Google I/O 2013 in May. Apple will probably be in Oct like this year.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-5...-mini-later-new-nexus-7-sooner-displaysearch/

Damn...if Google really makes the Nexus 7 thinner and stuff, that would be nice. Looks like Google beating Apple again.

Nexus 7 already beats the Mini. The Mini really needs an update to bring it up to par. Course even being overpriced and under speced it still sells because of the little :apple: on it. Build quality is great, but take away the skin you don't have much left to justify the price.

I know I'll be hated on for saying that, but it's the truth, not my opinion.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

Apple doesn't only rely on people to upgrade... there are tons of people who don't have an iPad at all.

All companies put out new updated products at regular intervals... they're not counting on every single person upgrading every single time.

----------

Nexus 7 already beats the Mini. The Mini really needs an update to bring it up to par. Course even being overpriced and under speced it still sells because of the little :apple: on it. Build quality is great, but take away the skin you don't have much left to justify the price.

Well... there is that little thing called the App Store ;)

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Google will come out with a high resolution Nexus first mostly like introduced at Google I/O 2013 in May. Apple will probably be in Oct like this year.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-5...-mini-later-new-nexus-7-sooner-displaysearch/

Damn...if Google really makes the Nexus 7 thinner and stuff, that would be nice. Looks like Google beating Apple again.

The Android tablet experience would have to improve a lot for a Nexus to be an overall better device than an iPad.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
In what way is a retina Mini a "garbage" upgrade? I know lots of people wating on a Mini purchase for just that reason, and I'm one of them. Plus, you don't even know what else it would have.

I totally agree with you. A retina Mini is going to be a superb upgrade, and I'm very anxious to buy one.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky

Except a thinner AND lighter tablet, with two cameras, better battery life, non-stutter scrolling and not to mention the most important part of owning a tablet in the first place, the worlds best tablet app library.

That's the truth, not my opinion.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
when did the first ipad mini come out last year? ... pretty sure the retina iPad mini will come out around the same time this year...

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Only reason I can think of for releasing a new ipad mini in April that doesn't have retina is to put the latest CPU in it because maybe they're going to over haul iOS7 and the extra processing power would be helpful

I'd like for it to have retina but it's not a deal breaker for me. I have no problem with my ipad2 screen.

If all the did was make it thinner I'd just buy the gen1 ipad after it's marked down. Thinner means nothing for me. The thing is already thin enough and then if I added some type of case it would get thicker anyway

Last edited:

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
The Android tablet experience would have to improve a lot for a Nexus to be an overall better device than an iPad.

I agree.

Most important thing would probably be tablet specific apps.

iPad just kills anything in that regard.

But Google is definitely trying, and trying hard.

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
I am beginning to wonder if Apple is splitting the product lines into "Standard" and "Retina""

I would not be surprised if the next product cycles looked something like this:
Macbook Air, Non Retina
Macbook Pro with Retina Display
Ipad "5" Retina Display
iPad Mini Non Retina

No More "Classic" MBP
No More iPad 2

And possibly having the desktops line up something like
27" Imac with Retina
21.5" iMac non Retina

Mac mini with your choice of display , possibly with a "pro" option to replace the Mac Pro.
It just seems that apple is shifting towards Retina being a premium option on the products and leaving the lower priced products with standard screens.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
As a Mini user, I can't say that resolution has ever been an issue. I think Apple should retain the current display and utilise a more powerful CPU/GPU.

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
I am beginning to wonder if Apple is splitting the product lines into "Standard" and "Retina""

I would not be surprised if the next product cycles looked something like this:
Macbook Air, Non Retina
Macbook Pro with Retina Display
Ipad "5" Retina Display
iPad Mini Non Retina

No More "Classic" MBP
No More iPad 2

And possibly having the desktops line up something like
27" Imac with Retina
21.5" iMac non Retina

Mac mini with your choice of display , possibly with a "pro" option to replace the Mac Pro.
It just seems that apple is shifting towards Retina being a premium option on the products and leaving the lower priced products with standard screens.

Whoa. A 27" retina screen. :cool:

----------

As a Mini user, I can't say that resolution has ever been an issue. I think Apple should retain the current display and utilise a more powerful CPU/GPU.

I have a mini. The screen definitely isn't an "issue," but I'm most definitely going to love retina.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW

I hear so many users try to rationalize that 'it's not that bad'....but you just KNOW they are all going to talk about how AMAZING the retina version is when it comes out...

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008

Nope, just your opinion sorry, not the truth.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
Nexus 7 already beats the Mini.

Sorry, but your opinion doesn't qualify as truth. And with at least TEN times as many people buying iPad Minis, your opinion is a minority one.

Having played with both in store. The Mini is faster/slicker in usage and the screen is MUCH bigger which makes a huge difference on a lot of content. The Nexus 7 feels more like a smart phone than a tablet to me.

Then you get to the ecosystem and iPad simply crushes it.

Though at this point I want a Retina Mini. That is just about the perfect tablet IMO (it would be my first). I can see pixels on both the Nexus and Mini when holding it close for e-reader duty. A Retina Mini will be the end of pixels.

I hope the Retina Mini is coming this year.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Sorry, but your opinion doesn't qualify as truth. And with at least TEN times as many people buying iPad Minis, your opinion is a minority one.

Having played with both in store. The Mini is faster/slicker in usage and the screen is MUCH bigger which makes a huge difference on a lot of content. The Nexus 7 feels more like a smart phone than a tablet to me.

Then you get to the ecosystem and iPad simply crushes it.

Though at this point I want a Retina Mini. That is just about the perfect tablet IMO (it would be my first). I can see pixels on both the Nexus and Mini when holding it close for e-reader duty. A Retina Mini will be the end of pixels.

I hope the Retina Mini is coming this year.

One thing I dont understand is...

People say the iPad Mini is better than the Nexus 7 because it has a larger screen.

But people want the iPhone to stay 4'' or even back to 3.5''.

lol

A big screen makes a huge difference right? Why can't this logic be applied to the iPhone?

Where's the 4.5 to 5'' iPhone option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.