Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I wasn't taking any chances so I cloned my 10.8.2 install before I updated. Happy to say everything seems to be working fine...so far. I hope no gotcha's creep up..

Planning to do the same thing; cloning my drive tonight, then updating to 10.8.3 tomorrow. It's really the only safe way in case the update breaks something important to you...

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Planning to do the same thing; cloning my drive tonight, then updating to 10.8.3 tomorrow. It's really the only safe way in case the update breaks something important to you...

I surprised more people don't do this. It's so much easier than doing a complete reinstall if something should screw up.

MACRM32

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2012
Portugal
Why isn't the 13" 2010 MBP supported for Win8 x64 on Bootcamp?

apparently windows 8 isn't supported on my mid 2010 13"

I know how you feel, I was clueless as to why it's not. I even went as far as to create a 64GB partition and install Win8 in EFI on it just to see what the problem would be. Apple even blocked the driver installer from running. The thing is, apart from the Coprocessor and SM Bus, everything seems to be installed and accounted for (couldn't get the FN keys and the boot camp program to run, though).

interconnect

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
So, Apple still didn't get it right with 10.8 after 3 incremental updates and you want 10.9? Why, I must ask? This new OS X version every year BS is what's killing stability! 10.8.3 would be here long before if it wasn't for that.. what they couldn't fix on 10.8.3, they would on 10.8.4. Now they just care about 10.9 and putting all their efforts in it. Sure there will be a 10.8.4 version some time but, how much more? People are still having trouble.. different bugs were not solved but they will launch 10.9 and start from scratch. But, maybe it will have Siri and Apple Maps so that's all good YAY! NOT

Ok, I strongly disagree with you. You apparently havn't been around for a long time or otherwise you'd know that before the yearly update release cycle, stability was MUCH worse. For example, Leopard was a disaster in the early releases. You talk about like 10.9 as if it's not related to 10.8 at all. Progressive releases are built on top of one another, not separately. Just because Apple is working on 10.9 doesn't mean that currently unresolved issues on 10.8 go by the wayside.

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Which software are you using? Does it clone your bootcamp as well? And how do you restore it?

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I've read through the entire forum and most of the problems that people are reporting I've tried out for myself. I could not replicate any of the problems listed. I didn't try them all because not all applied to me - so I know this post is pretty vague but here's to letting people know that so far I'm happy.

I'm on a Mid 2010 iMac 27" i7 2.93 with 8 GB ram Radeon 5750 1 GB. I just came from 10.7.5 and did an erase and install and then copied files over manually. I didn't restore any preferences or anything like that. I reinstalled all software from scratch. I ran the daily, weekly, monthly scripts - reset PRAM - verified disk and reset permissions. Very smooth machine with yet a single bug to find in the last 24 hours (short I know).

RenoGuy

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2012
I've read through the entire forum and most of the problems that people are reporting I've tried out for myself. I could not replicate any of the problems listed. I didn't try them all because not all applied to me - so I know this post is pretty vague but here's to letting people know that so far I'm happy.

I'm on a Mid 2010 iMac 27" i7 2.93 with 8 GB ram Radeon 5750 1 GB. I just came from 10.7.5 and did an erase and install and then copied files over manually. I didn't restore any preferences or anything like that. I reinstalled all software from scratch. I ran the daily, weekly, monthly scripts - reset PRAM - verified disk and reset permissions. Very smooth machine with yet a single bug to find in the last 24 hours (short I know).

Mine is an mid 2011 21.5 Imac w/8 gig ram. This time I thru caution to the wind and used the NON Combo update (from 10.8.2). Note: I had a current Time Machine Backup of course!:D
No problems what so ever!!! TG! I will say that all that I noticed is that Safari is acting fabulous compared to before...being redundant I know, But it is way snappier!!! :)

Last edited:

afterafx

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
California
Installed the update on my 15" rMBP. All went smooth. It required a restart, no problem, done.

I decided to give it a reboot for the heck of it. When it booted I noticed the wallpaper went back to its previous one I had chosen a week ago, bug still not fix but it doesnt bother me too much.

Woke up this morning to open my computer from it being shut all night. Mouse was unresponsive for a few secs, same as before but I did notice that wifi was connected unlike before where you would have to wait.

Just a few bugs but other than that, OS seems smoother. I tried out diablo 3 and game is definitely better to play. Before i was getting loads of lag, causing me to resort to using an external display.

rtheb

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
I installed 10.8.3 last night using the OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.3 (Combo) update and all is functioning normally on my Mac Book Pro 13" i7 16 GB (Late 2011).

Before I did any installation I updated my Time Machine Backup. Restarted in Recovery Mode and used Disk Utility to Both Repair The Disk and Repair the Permissions. BTW the Permissions were all FU'd.

With respect to my Windows 8 x64 installation which was already performing flawlessly without the new Boot Camp Windows 8 Drivers, I decided to bite the bullet and install the new Boot Camp Windows 8 Drivers anyway.

I first did a repair disk and then a system restore point on the Windows side titled "Before Windows 8 Boot Camp Drivers".

I just unzipped the file Boot Camp Support Software 5.0.5033 and burnt the contents to a DVD.

I then inserted the DVD and ran setup as an administrator.

Everything installed and is functioning normally.

I'm shocked that it was so painless but am also surprised that I don't notice any difference from the functioning of Windows 8 x64 from the way it ran using most of the old Boot Camp Windows 7 x64 drivers along with a few hacked drivers (keyboard, trackpad, and Intel graphics) I installed in December.

I don't have a clue what Apple is doing with this Windows 8 x64 Boot Camp Selective Installation but at least it worked on mine.

I would be curious to know if those Mac's not supported can still install the new drivers, not by running setup, but just going to the various directories on the DVD and trying to install them individually.

If someone tries this please advise.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Still very cold over here!

Is the weather widget working ok with this update? or is it coincidence?

Yep, runs like never before, glad I took time & trouble to upgrade! :rolleyes:

weather_widget_osX10.8.3.png

----------

Mine is 611 MB

985.3 MB :confused:

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Are there new graphic drivers for NVIDIA GeForce 320M in this update?

I'm using a mid 2010 Macbook Pro 13". Thanks for letting me know.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Congrats on your update!

I installed 10.8.3 last night using the OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.3 (Combo) update and all is functioning normally on my Mac Book Pro 13" i7 16 GB (Late 2011).

Before I did any installation I updated my Time Machine Backup. Restarted in Recovery Mode and used Disk Utility to Both Repair The Disk and Repair the Permissions. BTW the Permissions were all FU'd.

With respect to my Windows 8 x64 installation which was already performing flawlessly without the new Boot Camp Windows 8 Drivers, I decided to bite the bullet and install the new Boot Camp Windows 8 Drivers anyway.

I first did a repair disk and then a system restore point on the Windows side titled "Before Windows 8 Boot Camp Drivers".

I just unzipped the file Boot Camp Support Software 5.0.5033 and burnt the contents to a DVD.

I then inserted the DVD and ran setup as an administrator.

Everything installed and is functioning normally.

I'm shocked that it was so painless but am also surprised that I don't notice any difference from the functioning of Windows 8 x64 from the way it ran using most of the old Boot Camp Windows 7 x64 drivers along with a few hacked drivers (keyboard, trackpad, and Intel graphics) I installed in December.

I don't have a clue what Apple is doing with this Windows 8 x64 Boot Camp Selective Installation but at least it worked on mine.

I would be curious to know if those Mac's not supported can still install the new drivers, not by running setup, but just going to the various directories on the DVD and trying to install them individually.

If someone tries this please advise.

Hi rtheb,

Again thank you for your in-depth post in this thread!

I ran a compare-check with TotalCommander (beta) x64 in Windows on all files in the main- and sub folders of the two packages [WindowsSupport] for Windows 7 in BootCamp 4 & [BootCamp5.0.5033] in BootCamp 5.

I was at the least 'surprised' that there where not much new/changed files in the latter package. So I'm holding my breath for the moment and postpone the update [BootCamp5.0.5033] because I have, as mentioned earlier and like yourself, tweaked many hours around to get the 'perfect' fit, for my likings & needs, that I have at the moment!

Please share with us the new functionalities in your 'brand-new' Windows 8, I for instance am very curious about the AHCI drivers for the two ODD sata connectors on the mobo.

Thanks for sharing, reading and Cheers for your succesful update! :cool:

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
They fixed Safari scrolling on the rMBP - that alone makes this update worth-while for me.

Prior, scrolling in Safari was often choppy on integrated graphic, and would only get smooth with the dedicated card (I use gfxCardStatus to check and also switch manually). Choppy scrolling is not exactly what you'd expect on a quad core i7, retina display or not.

Glad they finally took care of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.