Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3GEE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
I know I am way late for the party but I finally got to experience Siri for the first time as my wife upgraded her 3G to the 5 yesterday. I have the 4 so we haven't used it before.

It has worked flawlessly, everything from sending texts to googling to setting reminders, she hasn't missed once yet. I guess I didn't know what to expect after reading the endless complaints, but it has been a great experience so far.

This post must sound very dated but this upgrade is nice.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Nice to see this. I've had a very positive experience as well.
It seems as if this website should called MacWhiners.

Lioncrazz

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2009
Siri has no issue with my Philadelphia accent. Id
say she was totally accurate about 90% of the time.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I find the only thing Siri is good for is checking sports scores. When I try to dictate a text, by the time I correct her errors or re-dictate it, I could have just typed it out. And no, despite my location, I don't have a Boston accent.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
I have a thick southern accent, Louisiana, and I have to speak slowly and deliberately to Siri or she misses half of what I say.

It can be useful when in the car I can send a text without having to look down at the phone. However, most of the time it is just as easy to do the work myself.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I have a standard American accent and Siri has about a 90% accuracy rate for me. The bigger problem is actually finding something to use Siri for. I've completely stopped using Siri.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I think some people who blame it on their accent simply try too hard to speak deliberately and blame it on the accent but I feel like in a lot of these cases it would work better if one just simply speaks naturally. Not like they are speaking to a foreigner.

I dont blame them because its a common tendency.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I've tried Google Now and it is much better than Siri. It's more accurate, does more things, and the most obvious thing that I noticed is that it's faster.

I still don't like talking to my phone, though. Wonder if it's going to ever feel natural. I too do not use Google Now nor Siri, ever.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Siri is getting amazingly accurate of late these days. I have little issues dictating emails and sms, and for the infrequent error, a quick shake erases the mistake. :)

jenni122701

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2013
(Western) North Carolina, USA
I have fair enough Southern accent, born 'n' raised in western NC, but I don't often have any problems with Siri. I supposed it does matter how clear the speech is, so maybe mine is too southerny or rednecky for it. Haha!

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I thought Siri was fantastic till I used Google Now (a limited version is in the Google app). That thing is freaking quick and accurate. I still use Siri when driving as it's integrated but I would love to see Apple make things more local to the device with iOS 7.

Another mystery, why is dictation (keyboard mic button) more accurate than Siri?

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I have a standard American accent and Siri has about a 90% accuracy rate for me. The bigger problem is actually finding something to use Siri for. I've completely stopped using Siri.

I guess you must not use reminders or send receive many texts. I use it for that every day.

I literally don't remember the last time Siri got anything close to right. It just doesn't work for me.

Fixed that for you. It seems to work quite well for the vast majority of people.

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
Jailbreak and install Assistant Enhancer. You're missing out. It adds some nice features to Siri.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
If you have nothing to compare it to, then I suppose siri is fantastic. If you want to use it for more than scheduling an appointment and a few simple facts, then it's quite useless and behind google.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I use Siri when I don't know how to spell a word in emails. Most of the time it works, sometimes its completely off.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Post about my opinion on an internet messageboard is my opinion shocker.

Meanwhile you just fabricated that it works "quite well for the vast majority of people."

Saying that "Siri doesn't work" is not an opinion, it's a statement of fact which is not supported by the experiences of, yes, the vast majority of people. I'll stand behind that position based on the many people I know with iPhones and understanding the nature of posts on Internet Forums and how heavily skewed they are towards the negative.

By the way, when I say it works quite well, I'm certainly not suggesting it's perfect or even close to perfect. It's get's thing wrong sometimes, especially in noisy environments, which is understandable. Sometimes the server is unreachable etc... But most of the time it works quite well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.