Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrome or Safari (+ bonus option)

• Total voters

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Can someone come up with reasons why I should move to Safari?

Chrome, for me, seems to be crippling. It's beginning to bog down in speed, and the iOS apps make me want to cry...I can click that stop reloading button on my iPad all I want, the tab's never going to stop the loading phase...musn't forget to mention that it's still 32-bit...

Does Safari come with all the syncing features of Chrome? Like, the 'Omnibox' history? Because that's something I like a lot.

Does it sync passwords across all my devices?

Major problem with Safari is that the iPhone's UI is so old and dull now. I love the iPad Safari, but I can't see me putting up with the iPhone one, and its limit of like 8 pages.

What reasons can people come up with? If you don't use Chrome or Safari, share your thoughts on your browser of choice. But I'm not that interested if you want to talk about the extensions, tab groups, or 3D view of Firefox.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
Chrome has always been very fast for me, and I like how they add a little image for bookmarks while Safari is all text.

cheisA1A

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Midwest
I have noticed Chrome bogging down too. I have tried to start using Safari more. I have nothing against Safari. Mostly just familiarity issues that keep me from a complete switch. Will continue to get more familiar and just switch over someday.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Not a big fan....

of Chrome. But yes in Safari case and Firefox. But for the time being most of my online stuff is done in Firefox. Better integration of plugins, works for me in Mac OS X and Windows, faster than Safari.

Chrome slows down all for me. Safari have the nice feature of allow downloading same kind of files without renaming them, as an extense collection of PDFs called all 1,2, 3 (multiple 1s, multiple 2s....and so on....)

:):apple:

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Safari. Because both Chrome and Safari are webkit but Safari is better integrated (obviously). Safari does everything I need and I am very familiar with it with no issues. No reason to switch to Google. Don't have anything against Chrome though. As said above about the pictures next to the bookmarks in chrome. I actually prefer without pictures because it looks more uniform and not just in browser but the whole OS. That is personal preference though.

edit: I have not used chrome for a long while so I don't know if the new version is worse or not going by the above poster. All I know is that until Safari starts messing up on me I won't go on a browser hunt.

and lol @ GStudios or whatever his name is not getting to this thread earlier. Maybe he was fired from the keyboard police

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Chrome has always been very fast for me, and I like how they add a little image for bookmarks while Safari is all text.

That's a good point.

Also if you remove the name from the bookmark, it will leave just the icon, which is cool.

I've never actually done that tough, I normally bookmark specific page, not homepage, so an icon would be confusing.

----------

I have noticed Chrome bogging down too. I have tried to start using Safari more. I have nothing against Safari. Mostly just familiarity issues that keep me from a complete switch. Will continue to get more familiar and just switch over someday.

Yeah, I think right now, I'll switch if Apple makes Safari on the iPhone really really good on iOS7.

Until then I'll continue using Chrome unless I find some good reasons to switch.

----------

I have not used chrome for a long while so I don't know if the new version is worse or not going by the above poster. All I know is that until Safari starts messing up on me I won't go on a browser hunt.

I don't think Chrome's changed much, had a few UI changes here and there, but other than that, the big difference I've noticed is that the performance has degraded a bit.

and lol @ GStudios or whatever his name is not getting to this thread earlier. Maybe he was fired from the keyboard police

Lol I'm assuming I missed a troll?

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Firefox in the only serious browser if you want some control over your browsing experience.
Come on, Chrome does not even handle page refreshes well. You get the annoying white flash.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
I use Chrome. Safari crashes too much.

If you still use Firefox you're doing it wrong. Using Firefox in 2013 is like using Internet Explorer in 2006. Discerning individuals know better!

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I use Safari and Chrome interchangeably. Both feel subjectively the same speed to me, while Safari feels more like a native Mac program, and Chrome has all sorts of options to sync between multiple devices. Oh, and Flash. It's mostly a toss-up.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
Likely could be because my Mac is 5 years old but Chrome really isn't that great. It always seems clunky, not fluid, pdf's are choppy when scrolling, the experience just isn't there.

Nate392

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
If you still use Firefox you're doing it wrong. Using Firefox in 2013 is like using Internet Explorer in 2006. Discerning individuals know better!

I beg to differ. Using IE in 2006 is no different than using IE in 2013, it's still pretty lame. But Firefox is still a great browser, and has a few great features and a growing developer base. Firefox is far from being IE in any way.

In response to your point about discerning individuals, truly discerning individuals would notice the fact that chrome still Does not allow you to delete cookies on exit, (great for speed, and it takes away from your browser fingerprint.) That and the fact that Chrome does not allow for much as far as true browser customization (Different tab looks, tab stacking and page splitting add-ons, etc.) Chrome has very little of anything to make it a "superior browser," let alone the "choice of discerning individuals."

If I may, I'd also like to bring Opera to the table. Opera is a quick and nicely featured browser that often never receives credit where it is due.
Opera offers great page previews in instant tab pop-outs, allows easy tab stacking (or "foldering") of tabs, and has the convenient feature of Turbo, which speeds up page rendering on slow wifi connections. Opera also has a fairly decent built in email client, and allows a lot of user control over the behavior of the browser (Which is completely absent in Chrome.) Opera is also fairly gentle on the Ram, though with heavy browsing, anything takes up a lot of Ram anyway. (Though Chrome eats through crazy numbers of CPU threads, which is weird)

It all comes down to what you personally like best, but I strongly recommend you give Opera a look while you're at it.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I've been enjoying chrome on my Macs & Windows computers for at least two years now. By far it's my favorite. This, even though I use Safari, Firefox & Opera just for variety.

My second favorite is Chrome.

My third favorite is C .... Well you get the idea :)

I'm addicted to three features of Chrome.

1) The vast amount of highly useful extensions.
2) The fact it has not crashed
3) Blazing speed (yet I have tons of ram).

Thanks Google!

Nate392

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
Can someone come up with reasons why I should move to Safari?

Chrome, for me, seems to be crippling. It's beginning to bog down in speed, and the iOS apps make me want to cry...I can click that stop reloading button on my iPad all I want, the tab's never going to stop the loading phase...musn't forget to mention that it's still 32-bit...

Does Safari come with all the syncing features of Chrome? Like, the 'Omnibox' history? Because that's something I like a lot.

Does it sync passwords across all my devices?

Major problem with Safari is that the iPhone's UI is so old and dull now. I love the iPad Safari, but I can't see me putting up with the iPhone one, and its limit of like 8 pages.

What reasons can people come up with? If you don't use Chrome or Safari, share your thoughts on your browser of choice. But I'm not that interested if you want to talk about the extensions, tab groups, or 3D view of Firefox.

Alright, just to respond to everything you asked at first, the resounding answer is Yes! Safari does everything that Chrome does in those aspects, and has no actual limit to how many tabs can be open.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Discerning individuals use whatever works for them versus what you think they should use.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Safari on the iPhone and iPad. Chrome mostly on the iMac.

I read a lot of web pages and safari has that Reader button. I love the Reader button.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Safari's only weakness is it's lack of Google integration, naturally. Otherwise it does everything well enough.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Safari's only weakness is it's lack of Google integration, naturally. Otherwise it does everything well enough.

And soon enough there will be Google Now integration with the Chrome browser. It's already there for Windows and Chrome OS.

Last edited:

ncarreno

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
Three little aspects:

1. Google services. Google Chrome has been made thinking about Google services. If you use many Google services like Drive, Calendar, Gmail and so on, is a good option to keep using Chrome (at least for that use) but that doesn't mean that Safari can't work fine with them. Safari has been made with MacOS in mind, now iOS too, so is a Browser conceived and developed in integrity for MacOs, and now IOS too. So, like Chrome have some skills to work with Google services, Safari have its own skills to work with MacOS an its default and pretty apps (and of course, with Google Services too). Try to focus on what is your daily work activities related to.

2. Little-bigger details. All Browsers have the same main goals: load very quickly the webpages, execute with efficiency almost all web scripts and web content and finally, be stable. Every Browser meet that requirements (Safari, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, etc.) and maybe one from another can do that in a better way, that's the bigger details, the same for each one. But something that you may keep in mind are the "little" details that every Browser have by his own. For our Topic discussion: "Safari-Chrome" is very important to know which one feels more comfortable for you. Lets see: I like an option in the contextual menu in Chrome when I cut or copy a text and later paste it in the Omnibus bar, say: "Paste and search" or if it is a Link "Paste and go". Another that I like: when I have to sign in or login in a webpage the username field keep a record of all users and I just have to choose mine while I typing; Safari doesn't do that. When I want to go "Incognito" (Chrome) / "Private Browsing" (Safari), in Chrome Incognito have its own window. In Safari the "Private Browsing" state is the same for all the windows that you have open. There are many other "little details" that maybe have a major impact in your browser experience. Don't overlook that.

3. Devices. If you are using one or more devices like a tablet or a smartphone is important to keep concordance, I mean, if you are using an Android tablet and/or smartphone there will be more comfortable to use Chrome to keep your PC/Mac browser activity in your device and in the opposite way, Safari will be your best choice if you handle and iPhone and/or iPad. Try to think when and where do you will have to use your browser activity (history, bookmarks, recent pages, etc.).

It's not so complicated make the switch between Safari and Chrome (and Opera, and Firefox, and another one) but still keep in mind that little three aspects and of course, you will start using the most appropriate Browser for your requirements.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Safari all the way. Unless I need Flash. Then I use Chrome. The Keychain iCloud is amazing with Safari. Such convenience.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Chrome has served me very well.

It's fast, stable and offering a mind boggling amount of very useful extensions and apps, nothing beats it. At least if you work in an environment where saving time is valuable.

That said... one of the features included in the upcoming rev OS X 10.9 is a nicely improved version of Safari that has many long overdue fixes and upgrades. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.