Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
I have an idea that I think is almost revolutionary, that utilizes already existing technologies.
It's something that I can tell Amazon / Apple/ Samsung or other companies for free by posting the idea online or emailing them.
But I'm not sure if they'll listen to me, and in the event that they do, I will be paid for my revolutionary idea.

So, how can I protect this idea, which won't take much time to actually implement for companies, and get paid for it?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
What is a chip?

chips600.jpg

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
I searched how to patent but I would like a more streamlined answer catered for my particular need. Where should I ask

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
I searched how to patent but I would like a more streamlined answer catered for my particular need. Where should I ask

I can't speak for other industries, but I know for a fact Proctor and Gamble does not take ideas from outsiders. First, they probably thought of the idea and either working on it or it won't work. Second, it's waiting for a lawsuit if it's successful.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
I can't speak for other industries, but I know for a fact Proctor and Gamble does not take ideas from outsiders. First, they probably thought of the idea and either working on it or it won't work. Second, it's waiting for a lawsuit if it's successful.

We had a similar policy at Motorola. Any communication that hinted at an idea was sent to legal.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I have an idea that I think is almost revolutionary, that utilizes already existing technologies.
It's something that I can tell Amazon / Apple/ Samsung or other companies for free by posting the idea online or emailing them.
But I'm not sure if they'll listen to me, and in the event that they do, I will be paid for my revolutionary idea.

So, how can I protect this idea, which won't take much time to actually implement for companies, and get paid for it?

Ideas are cheap & easy, dime a dozen.

If you think it's worth money, you'll need to hire a patent attorney and go through the patent process (this will cost you a few thousand dollars). Then you'll want to have funding to defend the patent in the event that someone (Amazon/Apple/Samsung) decides to go ahead and implement your idea without licensing your patent. If you have backing for that kind of fight, great - if not your best bet will be to try & sell the patent to someone after it's issued, and let them go after anyone else who is violating it.

If your idea is for a service that you can provide (rather than just trying to get someone to pay you for your idea that they would implement themselves) then of course you can start a company to provide that service, and possibly position yourself to be bought out by one of the big boys.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

There is no such thing as "I have an idea. Let's get someone to make it for me with no effort and reel in the profits."

If you want to profit from your idea, you need to put the time and effort in. Patent it (if you don't understand the patent system - you'll need to pay for a proper Patent lawyer). Neither patents or patent lawyers come cheap.

P.S. Everyone thinks their own ideas are revolutionary. If it uses current tech, it probably isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.