Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Do you think Apple will really drop 16gb models in the next gen ipad as some have speculated?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It would be nice if 32GB became the standard, but I don't see it happening next go round.

The industry and competition would really have to push them into doing that. They love capitalizing on 'storage inflation.'

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Would be even cooler if they start Ipad at 32 GB and charge the same price of the original 16GB

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
16GB was doable in the iPad 2 back in 2011

16GB in 2013 with an iPad Retina (whether it's the 3 or 4) is joke. charging a $100 premium per storage upgrade is an absolute joke. but let's face it - we all deal with it and end up paying for it. mehhh

i have an iPad 3, 64GB LTE refurb for $679.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I could see them doing away with 32 or 64. But not the base 16. Apple wants you to upgrade, not buy the base unit.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
No I don't see them dropping the 16g. For folks like me who don't need much local storage its perfect. Its enough to store a ton of pictures but then we have icloud for that. I stream all my video content so....Meh no need for all that. Music, well thats in my phone. 16s are all good for me...

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
16gb should be dropped.

They have been offering it for 2-3+ years now and charging the same price. So you're telling me that the price of storage hasn't dropped in the past 2-3 years? Give me a break.

Yes I understand they could of used that savings for other components but with the amount of content available to ipad users it need to be 32-64-128 with pricing being around the same.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
16gb should be dropped.

They have been offering it for 2-3+ years now and charging the same price. So you're telling me that the price of storage hasn't dropped in the past 2-3 years? Give me a break.

Yes I understand they could of used that savings for other components but with the amount of content available to ipad users it need to be 32-64-128 with pricing being around the same.

Yeah, that's true. With HD content eating up at least 1GB for a 1 hour TV show, it's ridiculous that price hasn't gone down. I understand retina is probably more expensive to make, but come on.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I use Cloud storage, Dropbox and Spotify, Netflix with a fast unlimited data tariff. So I always buy the lowest GB. I just don't need it. I think this is the way Apple should go. The price for the higher storage models is a joke.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I use Cloud storage, Dropbox and Spotify, Netflix with a fast unlimited data tariff. So I always buy the lowest GB. I just don't need it. I think this is the way Apple should go. The price for the higher storage models is a joke.

I do the same, and with 30 or 40 page PDFs, it's not a big deal to do a quick download from dropbox into whatever app I'm using.

But try downloading a 4GB movie. It will take you as long to download it as it will to watch it.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
16GB was doable in the iPad 2 back in 2011

16GB in 2013 with an iPad Retina (whether it's the 3 or 4) is joke. charging a $100 premium per storage upgrade is an absolute joke. but let's face it - we all deal with it and end up paying for it. mehhh

i have an iPad 3, 64GB LTE refurb for $679.

I got the same exact model brand new a few weeks ago for $490

-------------
I don't buy into the entire streaming, cloud thing. Yes I use the cloud and love it but when it comes right down to it, I prefer local storage. On my mobile devices I don't really need that much unless I'll be traveling but on my main desktop, I need 1TB minimum. Laptops don't really need much either but when I need to pull up something I need it now. I don't want to and often can't wait for it to download or stream. Some documents are vital and I have to have them on local storage for quick access and when I don't have a connection which can often be the case depending on where I am.

Last edited:

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I got the same exact model brand new a few weeks ago for $490

-------------
I don't buy into the entire streaming, cloud thing. Yes I use the cloud and love it but when it comes right down to it, I prefer local storage. On my mobile devices I don't really need that much unless I'll be traveling but on my main desktop, I need 1TB minimum. Laptops don't really need much either but when I need to pull up something I need it now. I don't want to and often can't wait for it to download or stream. Some documents are vital and I have to have them on local storage for quick access and when I don't have a connection which can often be the case depending on where I am.

You got a brand new, 64 GB LTE iPad 3 for $490?

Where?

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
Apple should drop the 16 gig .32 gig memory only cost a little bit more* lets keep our fingers crossed

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think apple might keep the 16/32/64 option for the ipad mini while upgrading to 32/64/128 for the ipad, to better differentiate between the two. This might explain why we have not seen a 128gb model for the ipad mini yet.

ImpKali

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2013
Apps have only gotten bigger and bigger as they take advantage of newer features such as Retina resolution, with some games over an entire gigabyte. I can't honestly recommend a 16 GB device, be it iPhone or iPad, to anyone who does anything beyond listening to music, web browsing, checking emails, and video streaming. If you intend to do any amount of gaming on a device, 32 GB should be the absolute base.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
It would be nice if 32GB became the standard, but I don't see it happening next go round.

The industry and competition would really have to push them into doing that. They love capitalizing on 'storage inflation.'

Apple has doubled the minimum storage size of the iPhone twice over the years, so doing so with the iPad would not be uncharacteristic. I actually believe they will rather than have 4 storage sizes and thus 8 models of each of the next generation of iPad model.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
One good reason for Apple to increase iPad storage: more people will hit the space limit of their free iCloud backup, and start paying for increased iCloud storage.

Regards,
Tom

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
One good reason for Apple to increase iPad storage: more people will hit the space limit of their free iCloud backup, and start paying for increased iCloud storage.

Regards,
Tom

Interesting. Hadn't even considered that.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Apple did not realize apps size are getting bigger and apps for retina are away bigger 16GB is not enough space for those apps. I am happy with 32GB iPad :apple:

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Those who are only going to use it for web browsing (and keeping a few games and movies on it) won't need more than 16 gigs. I have a 16 GB iPad 2 and it's enough for me since I can manage the space (at the moment). But when I upgrade to either 4 or 5, I'll get one with no less than 32 GB, and probably the 64 GB, even.

The worst is when you have made a strong effort to stretch down to 16 GB - and the moment you connect to iTunes the first time, it turns out that it's actually only 14 GB. And you know you can't just swap out the storage media later, the way you can with a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.