Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
they have massive stockpiles of iPad 3's - don't worry, you will never get an iPad 4 instead of an iPad 3 replacement

Actually it does happen, if there are ever shortages of particular models. Happens more than you might think.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
@medic311 - definitely NOT what the OP wants to hear - they want a 4, no other will do - then they'll want to trade in the 4 when the 5 hits the shelf.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Actually it does happen, if there are ever shortages of particular models. Happens more than you might think.

there are no shortages of iPad 3 brown box refurbs, just like there are no shortages of iPad 2 brown box refurbs. no one gets an iPad 3 replacement for a broken iPad 2. why would Apple differ from that policy for iPad 4 ?

----------

Never is a strong word. I agree that it's probably strongly unlikely though.

true, there will always be that rare moment.

but let's face it - there are no shortages of iPad 3 brown box refurbs. the chance of you getting and iPad 4 brown box refurb upgrade (from a broken iPad 3) is as likely as you getting and iPad 3 upgrade coming from an iPad 2

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
there are no shortages of iPad 3 brown box refurbs, just like there are no shortages of iPad 2 brown box refurbs. no one gets an iPad 3 replacement for a broken iPad 2. why would Apple differ from that policy for iPad 4 ?

----------

but let's face it - there are no shortages of iPad 3 brown box refurbs. the chance of you getting and iPad 4 brown box refurb upgrade (from a broken iPad 3) is as likely as you getting and iPad 3 upgrade coming from an iPad 2

Actually, it does happen from time to time, that they are short of certain models. There have been numerous times this has happened in the past:

- When short of iPad 2 64GB, they upgraded to iPad 2 64GB 3G
- When short of white 16GB iPad 3, they upgraded to iPad 4
- iPhone 3G is upgraded to 3GS most of the time due to low stock
- For a while, iPhone 4 32GB White was swapped for 4S 32GB White

Their policy is to upgrade if a part is constrained. Same goes for laptop hard drives, iPod, etc etc etc.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013

----------

I don't think brown box replacements are always refurbs. They could be new, but most are probably refurbs.

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
No way they did that. They're not allowed to do that as they have to *exchange* your product for the same one (hence why they ask for your serial number).

thats wrong, apple often replaces items with the newer version at their retail stores. If someone comes in with an iPhone 4 16GB, and they have no replacements to give them, they will give them a 32GB, if that isn't in stock they will give them a 4S 16GB.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
What's wrong with some of you people? The OP isn't looking for a handout, but a replacement. And it might cost Apple either the same amount to produce the ipad 3 versus the ipad 4, or it might cost more to produce the ipad 3, since it'll be a lower volume. And guess what? They are no longer producing the ipad 3. There is no option to buy it anymore. So it makes perfect sense to replace the ipad 3 with the pad 4. And it makes perfect sense to ask if Apple will be doing that.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Actually, it does happen from time to time, that they are short of certain models. There have been numerous times this has happened in the past:

- When short of iPad 2 64GB, they upgraded to iPad 2 64GB 3G
- When short of white 16GB iPad 3, they upgraded to iPad 4
- iPhone 3G is upgraded to 3GS most of the time due to low stock
- For a while, iPhone 4 32GB White was swapped for 4S 32GB White

Their policy is to upgrade if a part is constrained. Same goes for laptop hard drives, iPod, etc etc etc.

of course in that rare moment apple will do good by its customers (one of the reasons why we all like apple), however the iPad 3 came out exactly 1 year ago and there is a HUGE supply of iPad 3's (for a while it was brand new ones, now the supply is mainly refurbs) floating around in their supply chain. the fact that many people returned/exchanged half a dozen ones b/c of yellow tint, heat issues, etc you name it...combined with the regular return/exchange of typical customers resulted in a huge supply of refurbs. the only time recently when the iPad 3 was in short supply, was actually the $379 refurbs in 16GB during the holiday time.

considering how large Apple Stores have become (the 4 Apple stores near me were renovated and engulf the equivalent of 2 stores in each mall), the chance of getting a free upgrade have greatly diminished.

i'll stand behind the very very slim chance of getting and iPad 4 upgrade if you walk in tomorrow with an iPad 3. if a dozen people did the same for the same model, then yes you have a big chance. but what are the chances of that happening?...exactly my point

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010

The difference is that Apple still sells the iPad 2 and has been for nearly two years, whereas the 3rd generation iPad was sold for about 6-8 months.

----------

What's wrong with some of you people? The OP isn't looking for a handout, but a replacement. And it might cost Apple either the same amount to produce the ipad 3 versus the ipad 4, or it might cost more to produce the ipad 3, since it'll be a lower volume. And guess what? They are no longer producing the ipad 3. There is no option to buy it anymore. So it makes perfect sense to replace the ipad 3 with the pad 4. And it makes perfect sense to ask if Apple will be doing that.

Thank you for being kind and understanding my inquiry!

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
The difference is that Apple still sells the iPad 2 and has been for nearly two years, whereas the 3rd generation iPad was sold for about 6-8 months.

there are no shortages of iPad 3 brown box units. the likelihood of getting a free upgrade from a broken iPad 3 to an iPad 4 is close to nothing

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
thats wrong, apple often replaces items with the newer version at their retail stores. If someone comes in with an iPhone 4 16GB, and they have no replacements to give them, they will give them a 32GB, if that isn't in stock they will give them a 4S 16GB.

Nope. I say that from experience - I went in a few weeks ago to replace my white 64 GB iPad 3 for a dead pixel. They said they had none in stock at their store, and I even said that I'd take another black 64GB iPad (mine was white) or even an iPad 4 and they said that they couldn't do that. So they made a phone call to another Apple store about 45 minutes away from this one and asked them to hold it for me. They gave me the option to either drive there today or to have them send it over to their current store and have me pick it up another day...

So yes, bottom line - they can't do this at all. Apple geniuses are nice, but not that nice.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Nice to see a political ideology cloud judgement. And who's the idiot that upvoted?

damn dude, it's a joke. obviously the OP isn't looking for a handout.

laugh it off, i'd hate to see you increase your med dosage over a forum post

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
damn dude, it's a joke. obviously the OP isn't looking for a handout.

laugh it off, i'd hate to see you increase your med dosage over a forum post

It is obvious for the sane, but there are many here that have been beating him down for asking a legit question. And you're one of them, even if you didn't mean it, and was just making a joke.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
yeah man seriously

that's reddit rage right there

I think OP has a fair question.

With Best Buy's warranty the sales person told me "you can break it and if we dont have that model and a newer one comes out, you get that" which essentially means, you do and people do that often.

I still declined the warranty and ended up returning that iPad4 anyways. But sort of funny :D

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
there are no shortages of iPad 3 brown box units. the likelihood of getting a free upgrade from a broken iPad 3 to an iPad 4 is close to nothing

So you know, for a fact, that all Apple stores are unconstrained on all 12 models of iPad 3?

If you are privy to that sort of information, you shouldn't be posting on MacRumors.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
So you know, for a fact, that all Apple stores are unconstrained on all 12 models of iPad 3?

If you are privy to that sort of information, you shouldn't be posting on MacRumors.

if you don't believe me, go smash your iPad 3 on the pavement (presuming you have AppleCare+) and take it to your local Apple Store for replacement. if they don't have your model, i'll refund you the $49 deductible. how's that for a bet?

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
if you don't believe me, go smash your iPad 3 on the pavement (presuming you have AppleCare+) and take it to your local Apple Store for replacement. if they don't have your model, i'll refund you the $49 deductible. how's that for a bet?

This is getting good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 690
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.